XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What is this?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is this?

Should i be concerned about that apparent coolant loss?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Received 12,719 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Clasico
Should i be concerned about that apparent coolant loss?

Hi Clasico,

Simple answer, yes, you should be concerned about any coolant leak, even if it's small. Small leaks have a tendency of unexpectedly becoming large leaks while you're driving the car far from home or any convenient service establishment.

I would personally want to identify the source of the leak and correct it as soon as possible. It could be something as simple as needing to slightly tighten the two hose clamps visible in the photo. Or, the rubber hoses may have deteriorated with age and have lost their ability to seal well on the fittings, or one of them may have developed a pinhole leak. Have you watched this area while the engine is running and fully hot? The point of the leakage may be obvious under those conditions.

If the hoses on your car are original, it is probably time to replace them all. Complete kits are available at reasonable cost from good independent Jaguar parts suppliers like our forum sponsors Coventry West, SNG Barratt, and Jagbits.

Cheers,

Don

The following 4 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (03-31-2015), Kleman (04-03-2015), MountainMan (03-30-2015), SNG Barratt USA (03-30-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I had a weeping from the bypass hose (I think that's what it's called), just above the area in your photo. When replacing those hoses I found a ton of scale build up, so much that the new hose wouldn't seal.

I used the hooked end a paint can opener to scrape the surface clean, then some emery cloth to finish up the job. It was a tedious task. But, no more leak.

When I did the lower radiator hose, I took the same approach.

Here's what you might be looking forward to...

Paint Can Opener

The following 2 users liked this post by mgb4tim:
Don B (04-02-2015), Kleman (04-03-2015)