XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What did you do to your X300 today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Any luck with the CD player code as I can remove the patch cable from the donor car and you can hook up with the CD changer sitting it the passenger seat for testing

When you get the CD player straightened out here is a very British song for you to enjoy . So much so it makes the queen cry

From 1898 so it's high faluten music so shut the engine off and close your eyes and think of England and it's majesty as you absorb it's richness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpvEgJEn94
Dunkirk the movie was great. One of the first we watched in the home theatre my youngest son designed and installed for us.

I have completely given up on CD players.

I have the cartridges if someone would like them. Just let me know.

I am still astonished at how smooth the idle has gotten and the on off throttle transitions since changing the fuel filter. If you have a slight idle stumble and a odd transition off throttle (Like a hard fuel cut form the ECM) replace your filter now!!

The following users liked this post:
Lady Penelope (11-08-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome aboard, Emily! Glad you've joined us. You'll find folks with more in common and probably topics of greater interest to you in this section of the forums, as you have the F-Type:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/

Meanwhile, you should repost your intro here, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/ in the new members area, so people can give you a proper welcome and a moderator can take notice and track your progress to full-status.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was my birthday yesterday..

..so I took the Jag to Skyline Drive in VA.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:36 AM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by j5r5my1922

It was my birthday yesterday..

..so I took the Jag to Skyline Drive in VA.
Hey.....I am in Richmond VA...... Pretty car.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

There's actually a Jaguar Tool Kit that goes in there. It has a green foam insert with about 5 or 6 Jaguar branded tools in it. It was only available in the UK. I found 2 of them on Ebay a while back and bought both of them.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:56 AM

On the cup holder mount:
I have tried that as well.. It always breaks again.
I made a slight modification to your description.
I put in a little metal strap around the outside of the hole and used a tiny wood screw to fasten it to the plastic. It's been solid now for nearly 50k Miles. (the strap is about 2 inches long by 1/8th inch wide wrapping around the entire area and epoxied with the rest)

Last edited by Steve274; 11-11-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:15 AM

Got my 97 XJ6L from the shop, 190K miles
New ball joints, New wheel bearings and seals all around. New shims on rear end for alignment (getting hard to find, the aftermarket fall out) Transmission service, Fixed exhaust manifold leak. 97 XJ6L
Now on to the 96 VPD. 201K miles: Heater core leaking, Air-bag light on, Air-Conditioner compressor failing.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

There is a PDF on my laptop of someone making a excellent testing of the X300 airbag system . If I can find it after a while . One of the salvage yards in the LA area that has alot of Ebay listing seems to have them and ships by mail but your not suppose to ship .

Airbag PDF file below :

Century Air has the reseal o- ring kits for the Denso 10PA - 17 ( off the top of my head )

https://www.shopcenturyautoair.com/s...-10PA-SYS.html

See video part 1 and 2 :

They carry the clutch coils and a video on how to replace

The 10 mm nut on the shaft can be taken up to a shop and have them remove it with you supplying the 10 mm impact socket that they may not have

Attached Files

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 11-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.
MikeyB10 (11-13-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! If it ever stops raining we should link up.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Received 465 Likes on 267 Posts

Replaced these:

With these:

The old ones are now in a Deox-C bath

New ones were too, they came of my old x300, if anyone needs to refurbish these I can highly recommend Deox-C, not a spec of rust on them when they came out of it.

I did replace all seals and pistons too. Fun fact, everyone tried to scare me how complicated refurbishing calipers is when reality is, it was one of the easiest jobs on a Jag.

Lady Penelope (11-13-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 03:50 PM

I've been living with a noisy compressor for 3, maybe 4 years now, since its been working fine and I thought repair would either mean a replacement or at least compressor removal and then regas which would be a major PITA, I thought I'd just leave it until it fails completely. As it turned out the clutch bearing can be replaced with the compressor still connected to the system and I've only just found out a week ago, thanks to a great post by Lady P.

I've purchased a replacement bearing(30x52x22mm), which cost £12.56 and proceeded with repair which turned out to be very simple, rather very rare thing for a Jag.

Had my brother hold the clutch and I've undid a bolt in the middle holding it, all done from underneath the car, then I tried for 25 minutes to get to the circlip holding the clutch only to give up. I've undone 4 bolts holding the compressor, moved it back by maybe 15cm and could finally see this devilish contraption and could get my circlip pliers onto it!

Circlip then removed easily and the whole clutch came off. I did make sure not to loose two tiny special washers while taking it off.

Bearing was hammered out and new one hammered back in(using the old one).

Fitted it all back

and the noise is finally gone!

Surprisingly the old bearing seemed fine, no damaged to rollers or seal, only movement was back and forth but only by maybe half a mm but that was enough to create all that annoying noise

Very happy with results!

The following 2 users liked this post by katar83:
Lady Penelope (11-18-2018), MikeyB10 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

As far as what I got to do with my x300 today..

I got to take it for a spin! It's maiden voyage in 3+ years! Very nice driving car

Ric in RVA (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Renewed the engine oil and filter
Rotated the tires
Greased the rear u joints
Topped up the weeping PAS fluid

Old 11-20-2018, 01:57 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice work, Can you describe the "annoying" noise? Mine makes an imminent squeal whenever I have it running. Originally thought it may be a loose belt but doesn't have the increasing pitch of that annoying problem, Just generally a constant squeal at idle. Hoping this may be my fix.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:17 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyB10
Nice work, Can you describe the "annoying" noise? Mine makes an imminent squeal whenever I have it running. Originally thought it may be a loose belt but doesn't have the increasing pitch of that annoying problem, Just generally a constant squeal at idle. Hoping this may be my fix.
The first thing I would check is the idler pulley, but you can spin the a/c pulley at the same time since you'll need to loosen or remove the belt to check them. If it spins smooth and quietly then it's not the issue, if it is rough, feels gritty, or make noise, then you may have your culprit.

MikeyB10 (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB10
That's exactly as it used to be, kinda squeal at all times, I renewed the AC pulley some time ago, bearing for it was also shot but that makes completely different noise, at least in my case, more like 'gritty grinding', compressor noise is different, especially annoying when you drive with the windows down in summer through the city, this squeal is then much more noticeable as it bounces of the buildings.
Mind you, without a belt when moving clutch by hand it didn't make any noise at all and felt fine, apart from the back and forth movement by maybe half a mm. Like I said that was enough for it to squeal.

MikeyB10 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 03:35 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi,

I have done two mods to my XJR6 over the last few days.

X308 headlamp modification - I do prefer the look of the X308 headlamps (not that I want my car to be a "fake" 308). I got my 308 headlamps for £45 shipped from eBay, which I thought was pretty good and all bulbs works!

I also have been over-thinking the practicalities of audio, DAB radio and Bluetooth in a 20 year-old car. I did consider replacing the stereo, but did not want to damage the OEM look or do anything that could not be hidden or reversed. In the end I went for a Pure Highway 600, this usually connects to the OEM stereo by AUX-in, which our cars do not have, or it can broadcast via its own FM transmitter, which is working pretty well. It offers DAB radio and hands free Bluetooth calling / audio streaming and has a button to active your phone's hands free commands by "Hey Siri" or similar.

I had this mounted on the leather surround of the AC/stereo controls. I got this pretty cheap on eBay for just under £90 (Halfords want £150). The gadget in the picture is basically a remote (and is AAA battery powered, which they claim lasts for a year) the real intelligence is in the antenna which is mounted on the window, which I had hardwired to the power of the car as I did not want cables trailing to the cigarette lighter.

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,
nickdabs

Old 11-26-2018, 06:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking good. I've been wondering about different audio options myself. I'll keep an eye out for you around town :-)

Originally Posted by nickdabs
Hi,

I have done two mods to my XJR6 over the last few days.

X308 headlamp modification - I do prefer the look of the X308 headlamps (not that I want my car to be a "fake" 308). I got my 308 headlamps for £45 shipped from eBay, which I thought was pretty good and all bulbs works!

I also have been over-thinking the practicalities of audio, DAB radio and Bluetooth in a 20 year-old car. I did consider replacing the stereo, but did not want to damage the OEM look or do anything that could not be hidden or reversed. In the end I went for a Pure Highway 600, this usually connects to the OEM stereo by AUX-in, which our cars do not have, or it can broadcast via its own FM transmitter, which is working pretty well. It offers DAB radio and hands free Bluetooth calling / audio streaming and has a button to active your phone's hands free commands by "Hey Siri" or similar.

I had this mounted on the leather surround of the AC/stereo controls. I got this pretty cheap on eBay for just under £90 (Halfords want £150). The gadget in the picture is basically a remote (and is AAA battery powered, which they claim lasts for a year) the real intelligence is in the antenna which is mounted on the window, which I had hardwired to the power of the car as I did not want cables trailing to the cigarette lighter.

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,
nickdabs

Old 11-27-2018, 08:40 PM
Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Fell back in love with it. Ever since I bought my new motorcycle about a year ago I kind of shifted my attention to it. Now that the thrill is gone I have a renewed love for the x300.

Now I have to figure out the driver seat inop issue. None of the functions work. Will check fuses this weekend. If fuses are good I guess I'll check out that control module I've been reading about.

Also have to try to get interstate to warranty this year and some months old battery that's testing bad.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

just poured a mold of x300 trans bushing,i used 30a shore in poly,the mold came out perfect,lets see how the final product turns out,photos to follow tomorrow

smartobject (12-04-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X300 today?