XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

wheel bearings, spindle/hub questions.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearings, spindle/hub questions.

hi everyone, just had my front wheel bearings done a few months ago. I went to do a alignment today, and the pass side front wheel was wobbling. So I took it back by the guy who did my wheel bearings, and he looked at it and said the bearing went bad. He also said the spindle is bad as well, and possibly the hub. Do the hubs and spindles go bad at all? The car was in a accident years ago, but am not sure if it caused the spindle/hub damage. What does everyone think I should do?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

If it was in an accident years ago but the bearings "went bad" only after being serviced a few months ago, I'd tend to think they were not correctly lubed or adjusted.

Don't get me wrong. Spontaneous mechanical failures can indeed occur. The circumstances just seem a bit odd. Nothin' you can prove in court, though, as the saying goes.

OTOH...It might be that they bearings were already worn a few months ago and the mechanic felt they were still OK to use. <shrug>

Anyhow, yes, spindle and hub damage can occur if a bearing fails

Cheers
DD

Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Any noise?

Seems to me if the bearings were loose enough to make the wheel wobble, it would make a noise.

Did you hear anything recently, or notice it pulling to that side?

Lee Shelton
95 XJ6 North America

Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 PM

yes it was def pulling to the right, but I have had that problem for ever. Even with a alignment it would be fine for a few weeks, and then it would pull again. I was told at a alignment shop that my suspension was a little lower on the pass side a few years ago, but do you think thats possible of a coil spring??

Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by MLRocafella85
hi everyone, just had my front wheel bearings done a few months ago. I went to do a alignment today, and the pass side front wheel was wobbling. So I took it back by the guy who did my wheel bearings, and he looked at it and said the bearing went bad. He also said the spindle is bad as well, and possibly the hub. Do the hubs and spindles go bad at all? The car was in a accident years ago, but am not sure if it caused the spindle/hub damage. What does everyone think I should do?
Same thing happened to me with one of my rears. Apparently the mechanic was a noob and didnt do it right. I don't know much about it , except ive seen articles on the web about how difficult jag wheel bearing installations are - they have to be done in a very particular way that i cannot describe to you. Try googling it.