XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 faulty alarm

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X300 faulty alarm

Hi
Ive just bought an X300 XJR in good condition. only problem is that the alarm gives false alarms about twice a day, it will set in the usual manner and sit for some time before it goes off. once i turn it off and reset it gives the extra pip telling me theres a fault some where, if i disconnect the battery and reconnect it goes back to normal and sets properly. Is this an easy fix or a common problem as so far ive never come across it before. Can anyone point me in the right direction before my neighbours loose sleep when it will most certainly go off in the night....

Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default alarm problems on my end

My '96 X300 gives one quick chirp when setting and two quick when disabling if everything is OK. If a door is ajar or the trunk or hood is ajar it gives one long chirp and the interior lights remain on for about one minute. It's just always been that way since I bought the car.

My problem is the following, If I leave the lights on and open the door I don't get any warning bell or alert tell me so. It's worse if my wife does it.

Unlike me, she doesn't check things over after parking the car for an extended stay. Soot, as far as she goes, and I love her dearly, the thing might as well not even have a gas gauge because it seems like it's always empty when I get in it to the point of the low fuel light b eing on. (lucky for me there is a gas station just two blocks away)

Not the same as the alarm problem, but I know back in the 70's and 80's one could unplug the sensors under the seats to shut off the seatbelt alram so is this a programing issue or is it possible that something has simply been shut off or unplugged?

Last edited by poor boy; 05-03-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: pee pooorrr spellin g
Old 05-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by danthefitter72
Hi
Ive just bought an X300 XJR in good condition. only problem is that the alarm gives false alarms about twice a day, it will set in the usual manner and sit for some time before it goes off. once i turn it off and reset it gives the extra pip telling me theres a fault some where, if i disconnect the battery and reconnect it goes back to normal and sets properly. Is this an easy fix or a common problem as so far ive never come across it before. Can anyone point me in the right direction before my neighbours loose sleep when it will most certainly go off in the night....
The extra beep when arming the system is telling you it thinks a door or something is still open. Most likely you have a bum door latch microswitch. One thing you can do when this happens, instead of unhooking the battery, is to open and close one door and try relocking again. If it still beeps, try another door, still beeps, move to the next. Try each door and the boot and bonnet. If you can lock/arm the system after cycling one of them, that's most likely got the bad switch.

That may help narrow down the problem.

Good luck!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Did the original thread author ever figure out the problem? Because I feel I have the same thing happening to my 1995 XJ. I've tried disconnecting the boot switch, the bonnet switch and even the drivers side central locking module ... but the alarm still keeps going off at random and the car is still hiving me the high pitched "chirp" when arming.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by siim258
Did the original thread author ever figure out the problem? Because I feel I have the same thing happening to my 1995 XJ. I've tried disconnecting the boot switch, the bonnet switch and even the drivers side central locking module ... but the alarm still keeps going off at random and the car is still hiving me the high pitched "chirp" when arming.
First thing, unhooking the switches makes it think that aperture is OPEN, so it isn't much help. You could try shorting the terminals of the harness connectors to the switches, one at a time. Just be careful to use something that won't damage the terminals. Once you find a switch you've "replaced" with a jumper, and then can lock and arm the car, you've found the offending switch.

Cheers,

Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Actually no, disconnecting the switched does not make the car think the trunk/boot is open. I thought your claim it to be a bit odd and I double checked with a voltmeter. Opening the trunk/boot closes the circuit and closing the trunk/boot opens the circuit. By unplugging the switch the circuit remains open and the security system thinks the trunk/boot is closed. Still I haven't unplugged all the central locking modules yet, because it is a lot of work to remove the upholstery of every single door. Is there an easier way?

One thing I did just discovered is that my intrusion alarm isn't working. I just sat in the car and deadlocked it. When moving around in the car nothing happened. I did however hear a barely audible pulsing sound from the intrusion alarm sensors. When examining it more closely I discovered that the drivers side was silent until movement was detected, but the passenger side started the pulsing sound about 10 seconds after arming regardless of movement.

I'm not sure if this is even related, because as far as I know my intrusion alarm should not arm unless I press the lock button twice on my FOB. The alarm goes off and the chirp happens even when I just press it once.

Oh and one more thing, my car is actually produced in late 1994 not 1995 if that makes any difference. It was one of the first X300 to be produced.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by siim258
Actually no, disconnecting the switched does not make the car think the trunk/boot is open. I thought your claim it to be a bit odd and I double checked with a voltmeter. Opening the trunk/boot closes the circuit and closing the trunk/boot opens the circuit. By unplugging the switch the circuit remains open and the security system thinks the trunk/boot is closed. Still I haven't unplugged all the central locking modules yet, because it is a lot of work to remove the upholstery of every single door. Is there an easier way?

One thing I did just discovered is that my intrusion alarm isn't working. I just sat in the car and deadlocked it. When moving around in the car nothing happened. I did however hear a barely audible pulsing sound from the intrusion alarm sensors. When examining it more closely I discovered that the drivers side was silent until movement was detected, but the passenger side started the pulsing sound about 10 seconds after arming regardless of movement.

I'm not sure if this is even related, because as far as I know my intrusion alarm should not arm unless I press the lock button twice on my FOB. The alarm goes off and the chirp happens even when I just press it once.

Oh and one more thing, my car is actually produced in late 1994 not 1995 if that makes any difference. It was one of the first X300 to be produced.
Sorry, I own one of these and I still typed the wrong thing.......and I knew better. Yes, they need to be open circuited to eliminate them for testing. Unfortunately the best way is to remove the door trim. I also didn't look at your location, we don't have intrusion sensors here, you do. Attached is a security document that will explain the functions and help in troubleshooting; you'll just have to pay attention to the market variations.

Sorry again, and good luck!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
18SECURITY.pdf (1.63 MB, 733 views)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 AM

Thanks for the diagrams.

Right now I removed one of the intrusion sensors - the one that was acting weird ... the car is still chirping, but so far the alarm hasn't gone off.