XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 sticks in park on start up from cold

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default X300 sticks in park on start up from cold

I know there have been a few posts re' this problem but having read them, I can't find one that seems to match my circumstances. For the last few months when I start up my 1995 X300 the gear shift won't come out of park. I have a torx (?) tool on standby in my glove box in case I need to release it via the screw next to the lever, but so far it's not been necessary because after a minute or so the lever comes out of park. Push it back in to park and again it sticks for a minute or so. Funny thing is, when I've been driving the car for a while this never happens again only when I subsequently start up again from cold.
Now i can't believe, the temperature caused by running the car can affect the gear shift but maybe it can?
I've tried spraying WD40 (the old stand-by!) and working the lever back and forth but the problem still arises when I first go to start the car.
Could there be a reason for this problem seeming only to arise when first starting the car but not subsequently?
Thanks.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Next time this happens see if your brake lights are working. If they don't, you have a faulty brake light switch....fairly common. The gearshift release mechanism depends on a signal from the brake light switch.

My X300/XJR had the very same problem. Why the brake light switch wouldn't work after sitting overnight....but then work OK during the day....is anyone's guess. Perhaps the tiny switch mechanism is sore and reluctant to move until exercised a bit.....which is how my legs feel each morning

Cheers
DD

Old 11-06-2016, 07:53 AM

Hi Doug, funny you should say this, but I think I've narrowed the problem down a bit in line with your opinion. Just been down to the car and with just the ignition on and the brake pedal depressed, it came out of park without a problem. Then, as I could see the brake lights reflected at the back of my garage, I noticed that if i lifted my foot slightly and the brake lights went out, the gear lever wouldn't move from park. A little more pressure and brake lights on, the lever moved without a problem. So it would seem you are spot on and the problem is connected to my pressing of the brake pedal.
Have sprayed more WD-40 around where I think the switch is, but as I'm not sure and didn't have a light handy, I will follow this up later.
A big thanks. Much appreciated.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:00 AM

By the way, anyone know where the brake light switch is located? I can't seem to see it up behind the pedal, but maybe that would be too obvious and it's "hidden" elsewhere!
Thanks.