XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Disc Player

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 11:40 PM
Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Disc Player

My disc player in the trunk don't work in my 95 when I press the button on the head unit. No fuses blown, no codes and the disc's go in and eject when I press the green button on the disc player. This tells me I'm getting power. Now I did disconnect the battery for a few weeks. Maybe this has something to do with . I looked for a disc player relay with no luck. Any thoughts might be helpful

Old 11-05-2016, 11:30 PM

Now its working !! Didn't do nothing to it.
I have to play a FM station for the first 10 mins or so then push the tape/disc button on the head set. Then it works perfectly. I think this thing has a mind of it own.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb Probably common cold solder joint issue.

Originally Posted by 44lawrence
Now its working !! Didn't do nothing to it.
I have to play a FM station for the first 10 mins or so then push the tape/disc button on the head set. Then it works perfectly. I think this thing has a mind of it own.
You're probably suffering from the same cold solder joints that many owners have with their OEM Alpine head units.

There is a specific surface mount component that affects the connectivity to the CD changer, but there are a lot of other functional issues that arise from the various other cold solder joints as well.

Mine used to start mostly working once it warmed up too, if I could get it to work at all, but it was so unpredictable that I had to get it fixed or replace it.

I had mine rebuilt by Southern Electronics and so far it is going fine now.

Here are a few threads that talk about the cold solder joints and related issues:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...d-radio-40577/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-turn-54075/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estion-138542/

Old 11-06-2016, 06:58 PM

I sent mine to Southern twice a few years back, both head & disc player. Back then the noconn code was coming up. I even sent a copy of that articular someone wrote about the broken/unsolder joint with pic's on what the problem was. Anyway, its "working",today, can't say it will tomorrow. I rarely listen to the radio or disc player so I can live with it. Just nice to have everything working as designed.