XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

unsoldered smd in the radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default unsoldered smd in the radio

are most of the radios showing "not cont" because of the unsoldered smd? This message causes the radio to not continuosly read the cd. I saw a pic of the unsoldered smd on this forum. How do i solder it back? Will this fix the "not cont" code on the radio? Thanks a bunch!!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jagman96
are most of the radios showing "not cont" because of the unsoldered smd?
Yes.

I saw a pic of the unsoldered smd on this forum. How do i solder it back?
With a soldering iron and solder wire (or maybe solder paste would be more convenient in this case?) Soldering those puny SMDs can be a pig of a job, but at least this one is already half soldered in place...

Will this fix the "not cont" code on the radio?
Probably, but no gaurantees. Mine had the 'NOT CONT' error even though the SMD was soldered properly.

Put it this way; If your Jag says 'NOT CONT', and you've opened your radio and discovered that the SMD isn't soldered properly, then there is a 99.9% chance that's the problem.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Any more info, such as photos, of the suspect SMD?

Apologies, noting that this is a four year old thread... but the thread above references photos of a known issue where a surface mount component loses connectivity and needs resoldering.

Does anyone have any links or photos of this particularly component (diode?) so I can try to locate it?

The SMD is mentioned in the following thread as well, and has (had) a link to a photo, but that link appears dead now.

...and while we are at it, are there any other DIY tips that have been discovered as common failure points in the AJ 9500A radio that a decent DIY electronics repair practitioner could fix? I spend a fair amount of time restoring old tube gear, so if I have some guidance on what to look for, I can often fix it and find it fun to do.

If not, I'll just give United Radio a call as they seem to come highly recommended in several of the "broken radio" threads.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-29-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

So I had the opportunity to speak with the previous owner of my 1997 today, and along with a lot of other helpful information.... he was able to tell me a little trick to get the radio working.

Apparently on my example, pressing the cassette eject button repeatedly will often eventually get the radio to return to normal operation for a "while".

So I gave it a try, and sure enough the radio's various functions are working again

I haven't tested the CD changer yet, and I'm curious to try a tape (just for the heck of it), but the AM/FM radio works great for now.

We'll see how long it lasts before it locks up again though.

Now, it makes me wonder what component is loose or failing such that the eject button is the trigger to shake it out of its confusion. Interesting.

And BTW, this is a very good sounding stock system

Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Does anyone have that old photo of the suggested SMD resolder repair?

Old 06-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by theJPster:
al_roethlisberger (06-07-2014), MountainMan (03-25-2015)
Old 06-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb Permission to repost and archive.

Originally Posted by theJPster

We should ask Mr. Raven if he would allow us to copy and archive that information on this forum in case his info ever goes away. And of course people will likely come here (and Jaglovers) looking for that information, so it would be nice to have it centralized.

Mr. Raven apparently doesn't have an X300 anymore according to his website, and I'd hate to lose this helpful info if his site went away.

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely use that to inspect mine even though it seems to address the specific CD "connection" error versus my radio's general operating problems. Who knows, maybe they are related. That would be fantastic!

Old 03-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I have my radio unit out and I have removed the two screws from the side of the faceplate, but I can't get the faceplate off. I can't remove the clear plastic dial under the black volume switch either. I'd love a hint or two if anyone out there has any insights.

I want tocheck the SMD because I am getting the Not Cont Error.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:49 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ablack
I have my radio unit out and I have removed the two screws from the side of the faceplate, but I can't get the faceplate off. I can't remove the clear plastic dial under the black volume switch either. I'd love a hint or two if anyone out there has any insights.

I want tocheck the SMD because I am getting the Not Cont Error.

Thanks!
I recently fixed my headunit's NO CONT error, its actually very simple all you need to do is remove all the screws from the back and then slowly remove the top piece. Its snapped it, so it might be difficult at first but don't be afraid, you do not need to remove the faceplate to get to the main board.

The following 3 users liked this post by FrozenApple:
ablack (03-25-2015), al_roethlisberger (03-24-2015), littlelic69 (03-29-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, FA, your suggestion worked perfectly. One small addition: none of the screws on the back plate are attached to the top plate, so just ease them off a bit to free up the top plate. That way, you don't have to re-apply the thermal paste on the back plate (heat sink).