XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300R memory seat AWOL

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 05:44 AM
Received 10,350 Likes on 6,847 Posts
Default X300R memory seat AWOL

Just picked up an X300R.

Has memory seats, etc.

When the key is removed the steering wheel and the drivers seat retract, as designed.

When the key is re-inserted, the steering wheel returns to its previous position, as do the mirrors, if, they have been messed with.

The drivers seat remains fully retracted, and I cannot feel any hint of movement or sound etc, from the workings.

Is there something simple I am missing, hahaha, its a Jag, silly question, but I have to ask.

The drivers seat works just fine with the manual controls, as does everything else.

I have not disconnected the battery as of typing, maybe its like the X200, and resets stuff, maybe not??.

The following users liked this post:
andyXJR (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 05:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this yesterday and I'm still reading through it - maybe it could be useful for you? I have the same problem!

Attached Files
Grant Francis (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 06:36 AM

Thanks Andy.

Sounds promising.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Grant,

Firstly, welcome back to X300 land! I realize you never abandoned the forum after you crossed over to the dark-side of X200's, but it is great to have you back with a working piece in front of you to share our troubles and successes!

Mine has done that for the entire 7 years of ownership. New twist over the past year or so.....the manual "aft" has gone hissy. It is full aft now...but I don't know how it got that way...last winter I moved it forward and up in the rear to reconnect my jury-rigged heated seat connectors. The rear went back down, but it would never slide back. I would try worrying the switch occasionally at stoplights and such, realizing with Jag's....any problem worth its salt will be intermittent...but would occasionally toggle it the wrong way due to inattention. Dang near had it too far up under the wheel for me to drive.

Loaned it to my son while I did a service on his x300 and gave him the spare key. I guess maybe it is programmed full aft or something. Though he's a tall lad, I had cautioned him to be wary and not break my headlight switch cuz the seat won't go back. And he didn't report that he got it to move, as I'm sure he would've if the switch worked for him. Now I get a "Driver's seat module won't communicate" or some such notification when I look at it with WDS.

FWIW, I asked Bob (Motorcarman) about it when I first bought the car, and he informed me the pots were about $300 ea, and the seat has 6 of them...and they are such a PITA to change and so unreliable you probably want to change all 6 when you go in...."How bad do you want memory seats?"
"Yeah, not that bad."

I did attempt a TSB before I pulled the seat out to skin it and have a hole repaired....can't remember if it was the one Andy referenced above or not. I do recall running it to full-stop in all directions, the last of which was front cushion up/down whereupon the drive cable snapped out of position on one end or another. Easy fix as I was pulling the seat anyway, but thought I'd mention it.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Oh boy.

Suspected something bizzare like that.

The car is not mine, I am the caretaker of the fleet for an old (yes he his) mate. Includes Subaru Brumbies (3), LandRovers (OLD Ex Army stuff), 64 Beetle, 71 Mini Cooper, 70 MG Midget, my old X300, and other such gems of motoring history.

Sadly, I still damn near have to unplug my right leg just to get into this thing, that entry "hump" is what caused the demise of the XJS, X300, S2V12, etc.

The R seats, right back has saved the bolster from the usual wear and tear, so not all sad.

Awesome car, and so bloody comfortable, 2000km run home with it, and I do miss the full size cars, but the X350 simply does zero for me, and they have NO "hump".

I suspect he will live with the seat.

Long enough list as it is to get this car as he wants it, and that is spot on mechanically.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Lightbulb Seat memory threads

Here is the major thread on the subject of the seat memory function.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ations-134056/

And here is the link to a detailed DIY step-by-step for repairing them from our user Japthug.

https://box.yahoo.co.jp/guest/viewer...iewtype=detail

We probably ought to have the moderators put this file in the "sticky" X300 files section along with the TSB.

The X308 BTW suffers the same, and I too have had the same issue for 3 years and have yet to decide if it is worth fixing because it is such a pain and they'll probably break again, and the pots are so expensive new... unless you modify them. I've got a handful of good ones I've pulled from wrecks, but again, hard to change out and no guarantee they won't just break again.

So I'm on the fence whether to even bother.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 7,901 Likes on 4,773 Posts

When I worked at the dealer I only did ONE seat sensor (ALL SENSORS) repair 'customer-pay'. I replaced many under Jaguar factory warranty and SELECT EDITION.

It is advised to replace ALL the sensors at once or the labor will 'eat-you-alive' if you do one every few months until all are replaced.

The sensors are $300 each. There are 5 sensors. ($300 x 5 = $1500).
Labor is 5 hours. We were at about $100/hr. so that was $500.
$500 labor X $1500 parts = $2000.

Most people just turn the column switch from AUTO to OFF.

bob

The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
aholbro1 (05-21-2017), Grant Francis (05-21-2017), otxoki (05-27-2017)