XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJ6 4.0 stal, rough start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 07:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ6 4.0 stal, rough start.

Hei guys, I'm Paul from Vilnius, Lithuania. Bought my Jag couple months ago, it was unused by previous owner for at least couple years, as he told me he was turning it on once in few months. When I came to buy it the battery was dead but once we charged it car started up really quickly, like in one second. I was quite surprised since it was standing there for quite long. In last few months I drove that car only for maybe 30 kilometers around in my area, it worked totally fine. Front suspension had to be changed and now its ready for use. Couple days ago made my first trip and drove about 400km without any problem, the next day decided to have a little 50km trip and after maybe first 10km my car stalled on turn to parking lot. It restarted with no problem but this time transmission light was on ( as much as I know its normal after stalls). Turned engine off and left for 10 minutes, after that turned it on to continue the trip, trans light was still on and realised that going on 80-100km/h it wont shift to 4th gear. Drove like it for another 10km maybe and parked the car. After 1h returned and tried to start the car. It would start with very rough idle and shut down after few sec, only after three tries it started working and trans light was off. For rest of the day it was starting and working perfectly. Today realised that there was no visible coolant in the tank so filled it and started the engine. This time rpm dropped quite low(something like 500) and went up to 800-900 after few seconds. Could feel car shaking for a minute and it worked perfectly afterwards.
Have been reading about these problems all morning so my plans are:
1.Change the spark plugs.
2.Change the oil and filters
3.clean throttle valve

if problems will reoccur need to check: air leaks, crank sensor, throttle possition sensor, iscv, egr valve.

But maybe you can tell the problem right away ? please help to maintain my love for this wonderful car before I go crazy.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't be too worried. The car will drive you mad, but that's part of a long relationship with a Jaguar. Par for the course. Good Luck.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:42 AM

So interesting fact came up! It's been three times my car stalled in last couple weeks and all of them happened on turns. First time I was driving slowly in circle crossroad and car turned off completely, second and third time today on turn car stopped working and came back to life after couple seconds and worked just all fine. So what could cause this ? crank sensor? stuck throttle?

Old 08-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Default ???

So, been driving my cat for a month and the problem doesn't go away. Replaced all spark plugs, filters and so on... Car still tends to make these crazy shut downs on turns, especially if I make quick turn or accelerate too quick from sideway.
What could cause that? Please share your thoughts!