XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR6.-95 exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJR6.-95 exhaust manifolds

Hi. Had to weld my cracked manifolds and discovered that new ones are not easy to find. It also seems there are not anyone making them anymore.
I will try making new ones in steel but need old (cracked) ones for to make jigs, so now I am wondering if anyone have some for sale..please let me know? I plan to make a few (for sale?) if not to complicated to reproduce.

Regards

Old 07-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

There have been many previous discussions as well as attempts to fabricate factory exhaust manifold replacements in steel or half steel, but no one seems serious to take their proposals any further. Check out previous threads here:

Expression of Interest in Custom-made Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifolds for X300

Exhaust Manifolds and Downpipes Modifications

If you are really interested and would try to reproduce and help others, I would give you my used set free; you just pay for the postage (expensive because of the weight and cross-continent distance). PM me your mailing address and I shall find out the postage.

The following users liked this post:
Arnstein (07-22-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 218 Likes on 138 Posts

This is on a need to know basis. AJ6 engineering is no longer producing AJ16 exhaust manifolds. Exhaust manifolds from the N/A versions of the same engine fit but at a greatly lowered price because of so many thousands more made. Sure it is going to crack again but at least we are recycling.

Larry Louton

Old 07-20-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Larry Louton
This is on a need to know basis. AJ6 engineering is no longer producing AJ16 exhaust manifolds. Exhaust manifolds from the N/A versions of the same engine fit but at a greatly lowered price because of so many thousands more made. Sure it is going to crack again but at least we are recycling.

Larry Louton
As far as I know, X300's Supercharged and NA engines use the same exhaust manifolds; the only distinctions among the factory manifolds are whether they are with or without air injection and/or EGR. So there being so many regional markets in the world with regard to emission controls, and manifolds are divided into front and rear, you can figure the chances of your finding a good used one. Imagine that the youngest X300 is 20 years' old and how many are still running without cracks. What we now face is you just can't find new, and you can buy used if available, knowing that they will crack soon (some are even selling with hairline cracks). So the search for good used ones (and as they are getting rare they are getting way too expensive too) will never end until you give up your drive.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Have you given some thought into the mapped out bicycle spokes over a high Temp patch repair ? Although it could be a complete failure , it may be a solution over a new casting . Any suggestions on how to make it better before going to an external casting cuff approach beyond the bicycle spokes approach ? Wouldn't be hard to make a external casting each different for each crack location .

Old 11-08-2017, 02:26 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpibyuhhag...00603.JPG?dl=0

Two sets of manifolds made in steel. One set for my xjr, the other is for sale.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:31 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Arnstein, they look like V8 manifolds, 1995 XJR is the I6 AJ16 engine.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Robman25, these are for the AJ16 (X300 XJR6) made by me in my workshop. Made jigs using cracked ones, which was supplied by Qvhk (thanks a lot). The X308 (V8) ones look very much different.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Well done, Arnstein! This is the first time I am seeing the result of X300 exhaust manifolds DIY in steel, following original factory pattern so they will definitely fit without modifications needed to the down pipes and heat shield although one may have to give up air injection. As expected production in small numbers means high costs, and as the pair weighs about 9 kg shipping across the continents/oceans would be expensive. However, I just did a quick survey on eBay, used front and rear manifolds are selling between GBP180 and GBP230 a piece, shipment extra. So go figure how much one is willing to pay for a custom-made pair of exhaust manifold made of steel.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Well done indeed. Looks like a nice piece of engineering.

Don't throw away those jigs! I can see a big demand for these in the not too distant future as our cars get older and supplies of used parts dry up.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Arnstein, must have been having a blonde senior moment, for some reason I was looking at them and thinking they were a mirror image

Old 11-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

Dear All,
While Jaguar was still offering the cast iron manifolds for sale, it was not economic to consider engineering alternative parts. Now that these parts are no longer available from Jaguar, I may re-think that decision. After the success of my crank sensor brackets and front anti-roll bar drop links, maybe it is time to expand my product range to include exhaust manifolds.

al_roethlisberger (12-31-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi Andy,

if you did this I am certain you wouldn’t regret it. I for one have a friend who needs a set, there is loads of need out there... these cars are not going away.

Cheers
nick

Old 11-10-2017, 02:15 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

No EGR port on these manifolds?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Dear All,
While Jaguar was still offering the cast iron manifolds for sale, it was not economic to consider engineering alternative parts. Now that these parts are no longer available from Jaguar, I may re-think that decision. After the success of my crank sensor brackets and front anti-roll bar drop links, maybe it is time to expand my product range to include exhaust manifolds.
Great that you think it is time, Andy! With prices of used one going up like crazy, and that they will crack any time during or after installation, people would face the reality that going for steel made ones would be the only way. It is a premium for continued ownership of the X300, and should the steel-made manifolds outlast the car, there is still a market for them out there.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
No EGR port on these manifolds?
I think this is a factor the supplier has to consider. The number of X300 originally configured with or without air injection and EGR and how many are still running with or without modifications is difficult to estimate. From the production and sale point of view, the fewer the variance the more cost-effective it is to make them. However, having air-injection and EGR ports ready and allowing them to be plugged if of no use would be a way out. There is some trade-off between potential performance upgrades, compatibility, ease of installation and costs. Shipping costs alone due to weight and size of the manifolds is going to hurt, but one has to agree that used ones cost the same to ship.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:10 AM

Regarding the EGR and air injection. The ones made by AJ6 engineering were also made without this.
Mine made in ordinary steel can have the boss for EGR / air inj. welded on by the buyer if needed.
Too many hours making them I think.. so unless a big demand and finding a kind of serial production agreement with a workshop I probably stop with the two pairs made. One pair for sale!

al_roethlisberger (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnstein
Regarding the EGR and air injection. The ones made by AJ6 engineering were also made without this.
Mine made in ordinary steel can have the boss for EGR / air inj. welded on by the buyer if needed.
Too many hours making them I think.. so unless a big demand and finding a kind of serial production agreement with a workshop I probably stop with the two pairs made. One pair for sale!

I've sent a PM inquiring into the second set for sale.

It looks like the set you have already have the air injection bosses installed, or are those something else?

I really do think there is a market for a simple (log type perhaps) steel replacement for the weak OEM cast iron headers. Equal length stainless steel would be nice, but the cost and fitment issues probably make those a challenge to produce economically.

But a less expensive design like a "log" or the set linked above might be more inexpensive to produce, and therefore sell affordably.

And as pointed out, with the simple design above one can have a competent shop weld the necessary EGR and air-injection bosses into the header.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:49 AM

Hi, I just answered your PM.. The bosses are for the heat shield.

Best regards
Arnstein.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:36 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My non air injection rear manifold has just developed a crack so I'm looking for a new set if anyone is making them.

Geoff