XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

'01 XJR Subwoofer/Trunk Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '01 XJR Subwoofer/Trunk Q's

When I bought my XJR a few years ago, the first thing I did was change out the door speakers. I ended up replacing the Alpines with JL Audio C-5's (6.5 separates) for both the front and back doors. Powering these speakers is a JL audio four channel 300 watt amp which does a decent job. I then added a new (in 2009) Alpine deck. Everything was professionally installed and inside the glove box is a usb connector which I have a 16GB flash drive attached to run all of my music. It sounds pretty clean but it's seriously lacking deep bass. After doing a little research of woofers I decided to buy two 12" FI audio BTL's. The reason I went big is I have read about the gas tank that is behind the back seat and have read about people having problems porting the sound into the cab. I think about a year ago or so, I read a post from someone who seemed fairly knowledgeable (I'm very naive) who stated that if you want to hear deep bass in the X308's it has to be something massive because of the difficulty to port the sound to the cab.

I was thinking of a setup like the ones in these pictures below. Apologize ahead of time for showing you all a Benz. (barf)

Of course I will have a couple of things working against me. First off the FI BTL's require more space than the RE audio woofers shown above (I think the 12" minimum is 1.5 CU Ft per woofer. Also these FI BTL's take serious power...I was thinking of adding two Sundown Audio SAZ-2500D's to power the woofers. This will require me to add probably two extra batteries and upgrade the alternator to power the amps. The other thing is that the X308's have a thin trunk and therefore I would mostly likely be left with less room than the Benz. I like the idea (however impractical) of using the tire bay area for the amp's and backup batteries.

I'm no sound expert, nor am I savvy mechanically. I'm good at navigating ships across the world (I'm a merchant mariner 2nd Mate).

So I'm humbly asking you all for advice on adding a system like this and what problems you foresee me running into. Additionally, what would be some things that I should tell the instillation facility to insure that the sound is able to make it's way though the cab and to insure that the gas tank isn't punctured.

I'm currently living in Northern California (Redding) and would be willing to drive down to the bay area or up to southern Oregon if anybody has a recommendation of a quality installer.

Thanks in advance my fellow Jag fans!