XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 xjr stumbling

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I think your making the tensioner repair sound more complicated than it is (but its your option, its your car after all)...especially if its just the uppers. Prompt the link in my sig after "How to Fix" and look for the link by Blackonyx. It explains in detail the complete break down to replace tensioners, guides and chains. If you find out you only need to do the uppers (2nd-aries), then you at least know your issue. All just simply removing the cam covers and looking.
Along with the full out repair by Blackonyx, here's one on just the 2nd-aries from JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource.... http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...eplacement.pdf
ok everything explained in Blackonyx post, thank you a lot.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

BO description is very, very good. Still, you need to hunt down every thread (and there are tons), read, reread them all. Also, good stuff over on the XK8 forum (same motor). Lots of good hints on making the job easier (and I found it very easy); just go slow. Most folks just do the secondaries (these will likely destroy the engine if they fail). But find a power screwdriver and 8 and 10 mm sockets, makes the job easier and much faster. Pull the right cam cover to see if you have the plastic tensioners or luck out because you have metal ones that somebody replaced. Pull a plug or two while you are inside the cam cover so you can decide on plug replacement at the same time.

Just about all of us who are still participating on this forum have done the secondaries: so lots of advice. Best advice I got was from an old hand: "the most important tool in your toolbox is patience!"

The following 2 users liked this post by Jhartz:
Highhorse (08-27-2018), xjfourty (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jhartz
BO description is very, very good. Still, you need to hunt down every thread (and there are tons), read, reread them all. Also, good stuff over on the XK8 forum (same motor). Lots of good hints on making the job easier (and I found it very easy); just go slow. Most folks just do the secondaries (these will likely destroy the engine if they fail). But find a power screwdriver and 8 and 10 mm sockets, makes the job easier and much faster. Pull the right cam cover to see if you have the plastic tensioners or luck out because you have metal ones that somebody replaced. Pull a plug or two while you are inside the cam cover so you can decide on plug replacement at the same time.

Just about all of us who are still participating on this forum have done the secondaries: so lots of advice. Best advice I got was from an old hand: "the most important tool in your toolbox is patience!"
I spoke to my general purpose mechanic, she is not jaguar mechanic. She told me she can do all the job upper lower chain, and belts for $1300, but I need to buy her the specific Jaguar tools. One thing I did not understand how do I figure out exactly if I have the plastic or the metal tensioners ? I just simply have to remove the valve cover gasket ? I did not understand from Blackonyx pictures. He dismounted the hood and a bunch of other stuff before anything else
if I have the metal one the replacement then is not needed ?
thanks.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:24 PM

So I need the special jaguar tools even if I only replace the upper tensioners like in this video ?
which brand shoudl I buy ? I would like to replace with the metal ones not plastic ones. thank you!

Old 08-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

She can do this for you: on the right side, you remove the air cleaner, disconnect the MAF sensor; remove the air tube to the throttle body; remove the screws holding the coil cover; remove the the screws holding the cam cover; remove the coils (carefully, do not crimp the wires); pull up the cam cover and look at the secondary tensioner; . . . .). If necessary, Parts can be bought from Christophers in NJ, tools too (they may loan them). Or, she can visit her neighborhood Lincoln dealer, buy the parts there and talk their service guy into borrowing his tools. Same engine on 99 - 02 Lincoln LS.

Or, do it yourself and fall in love with your car. But in the Bay Area, there are many choices. A couple of years ago, I saw three beautiful X308s down by the Tadisch Grill, and two, also like brand new, in Tiburon. But whatever you decide, replace the water pump, thermostat, and tower, and crossover pipe at the same time. Labor need not be charged twice.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Yes. But you shouldn't buy it until you know you need it.

As for your earlier problem, maybe you need to clean the EGR valve, as well as the throttle body and MAF sensor.

Last edited by Jhartz; 08-27-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:19 PM

ok here is.
got my general purpose mechanic look at it. here are few pictures.
The tensioners are plastic made (first gen?) and the guides are cracked so I suppose the tensioners are cracked too and I just can't see it.
Now my questions is, if I just replace the upper tensioners (much easier job) and let's suppose the lower tensioners will fail at some point, will the engine be doomed anyway ?

Old 08-31-2018, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

You aren't doomed to say, that all depends on where the little plastic pieces fall? If they get under your chain and a gear, it will throw your cams off and nuke the motor. That is not a minimal possibility, that is like a 50/50. Your guides more than likely need replaced also. IMHO, I'd bite the bullet and do the whole thing....a one and done procedure. Why replace only part and "hope" the rest doesn't fail?