XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2000 XJ8-L Mistake or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 XJ8-L Mistake or not?

I just bought a 2000 XJ8-L Black on black, this would be my first Jaguar ever. I dont know squat about them. I bought it off of ebay and after picking it up noticed a few things, one fog lamp is broke, the little plastic things that hold the visors are broke, the leather trim piece that goes around the shifter seems loose and wont snap back on. The engine and everything seems perfect and the interior is mint. It has 78,000 miles. I did know, before I bought it, that someone stole the hood ornament. Anyhow, I dont know anything about these cars. I have heard of the timing chains being bad in the engines to the transmissions are junk. What are the quirks with these, things to look for, etc?

Another thing I dont understand is that the headlights dont come on automatically. The window sticker says "Automatic on/off headlamps", however it doesnt have auto on the turn signal stalk. Surely a car this expensive came with auto headlamps. I think I am not working something right. Also does someone know if you can replace the antenna mast if it gets broke. They they just have the replacement mast. A couple sections of the gauges arent lighting up, like a bulb is bad. Do these have bulbs for those? Does anyone know thepart number for the hood ornament?

Thanks

Blaze

Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: 2000 XJ8-L Mistake or not?

Everything you are describing is an easy fix.
If it runs well dont sweat the small s**t. Everything else is easy. If the stalk doesnt have auto position, it maybe didnt come with it.
PM me the last six of your vin and I will tell you for sure.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:30 AM

It runs great. Whats involved in a tune-up on these? There is a minor vibration going about 55 that dissappears when you go slower or faster. I think it may be the tires.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would have the tires balanced. May be as simple as that.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

"canadian spec" lol auto headlamps came at the end of 02 beginning of 03

Old 03-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

US spec had them on 98 up J and 99 K. Not standard until 2001 on both here.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: rodknock95

I just bought a 2000 XJ8-L Black on black, this would be my first Jaguar ever. I dont know squat about them. I bought it off of ebay and after picking it up noticed a few things, one fog lamp is broke, the little plastic things that hold the visors are broke, the leather trim piece that goes around the shifter seems loose and wont snap back on. The engine and everything seems perfect and the interior is mint. It has 78,000 miles. I did know, before I bought it, that someone stole the hood ornament. Anyhow, I dont know anything about these cars. I have heard of the timing chains being bad in the engines to the transmissions are junk. What are the quirks with these, things to look for, etc?

Blaze
The trannys are some of the best and smoothest in the business.. Mine is out now BUT my cars is 10 years old and hasMANY miles on it... The ZF tranny is used in many cars Benz, 7 series, etc and is extremely durable. Also, why would you buy a car with parts you can not afford or the "so-called" reputation of having junk parts?

If you are a true XJ8 owner embrace the car and enjoy it.. If not embrace the forum and learn the truth... Also the "quirk" image of Jag died years ago...

The Ikon

Old 04-01-2008, 12:33 AM

[[/quote]

The trannys are some of the best and smoothest in the business.. Mine is out now BUT my cars is 10 years old and hasMANY miles on it... The ZF tranny is used in many cars Benz, 7 series, etc and is extremely durable. Also, why would you buy a car with parts you can not afford or the "so-called" reputation of having junk parts?

If you are a true XJ8 owner embrace the car and enjoy it.. If not embrace the forum and learn the truth... Also the "quirk" image of Jag died years ago...

The Ikon
[/quote]

I didnt mean to hit a soft spot with the transmission comment, that is just what I heard. I didnt say anything about what I can or cannot afford, that is rude for you to say. Maybe I took it the wrong way. All cars have quirks. For instance my Lincoln Mark VIII has a timing chain rattle upon start-up. It will never hurt anything, just makes a funny sound when it starts. A 1976 Chevy truck will usually smoke on the first startup of the day, but never enough Things like that are quirks. I dont judge or buy a vehicle due to what someone said. But if there are transmission issues or something with the engines then I would want to know about it, so I can have it addressed before it starts into another problem. I bought this car because I like the way they look. I have always had Lincolns and so have my family members, I thought it would be neat to change that. I am the first in the family to buy a Jaguar. If I like this one I will probably buy a newer one. Maybe one of those XK8 convertibles. I had never seena XJ8in person before, as far as driving and looking at the interior, with the exception of walking past one. What caught my eye was the one on the movie Invasion with Nicole Kidman. I really paid attention to the front end and what not and really liked the way it looked. After I have drove this one I really like it. I think it rides very well. It has a few things going on with it, but it is still nice. I cannot beleive the hood ornament cost 550, that is what the dealer quoted me. I was like whoa. So what is involved in a tune-up on these, just spark plugs? Thanks Blaze