XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 XJ8 instrument cluster bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 XJ8 instrument cluster bulbs

Had to replace the temperature gauge bulb and found videos and info here that were very helpful but some of the bulb info was kind of confusing. People talking about Jaguar part numbers and the dealer not having the bulb etc... In my 2002 XJ8, the bulb is a plain old 168 automotive bulb available at any parts place. Just pull the old one out of the plastic twist-in housing and put the new one in. I was dreading doing this, as changing dash bulbs on a lot of cars is a nightmare. The procedure on the Jag is by far the easiest I've ever done.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. There did seem to be some info indicating the bulbs were more unique than they actually are. One little tip of advice to anyone getting ready to do this. Make sure to use 168 bulbs or LED alternatives. I tried 194 bulbs (had them on hand)which are the same size but draw too much amperage. It starts to overheat the circuit and the dash lights will blink occasionally and eventually burn out the resistor in the cluster. I replaced mine with LEDs and have since had no issues. They also give the gauges a more modern blue hue instead of green.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED size

Good info. I was very tempted to go with LED bulbs, but they come in so many sizes and most of them are bigger than the 168's. I'm talking about the bulb part, not the base.

As far as the current goes. I don't think the 168's are really correct. My temperature gauge is now a bit brighter than the rest of the dash. I'll probably replace all the bulbs with the blue LED's, just so they all match. Where did you get yours?

Old 11-23-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your probably right about the 168s if they are brighter. I got the LEDs at O'reilly's. They are Phillips brand and listed as 194 replacements. IIRC they were around $10 a pair. I'm sure they're cheaper online somewhere.