XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2002 XJR 100 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 XJR 100 Question

I am getting ready to purchase a 2002 XJR 100. From everything I've seen and read about these cars, it should say "Jaguar XJR 100" on the passenger dashboard. The majority of these cars I have looked at have standard brown wood on the interior with this across the passenger dash. I have seen a select few with a different color wood interior (more gray), including the one I am purchasing, but it does not have this insignia across the dash. Everything else is the same as the others such as the red stitching, all other badges, wheels, brakes, etc. Does anyone know if two different wood colors were used in these cars and why certain ones do not have the XJR 100 across the passenger dash. I have verified with Jaguar it is an authentic XJR 100 but no one thus far can answer this question. Any response would help. Thanks

Old 01-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I hope I can help - I have a 100 and the decal on the passenger airbag is there. The standard wood for these cars is the grey stained birdseye maple. Now upon ordering from Jaguar, you could specify what colour wood you wanted, my guess is the original owner ordered a different woodset, and of course the decal wouldn't be there as Jaguar only prepared and supplied the grey woodset (from the special vehicle dept or SVO) with the said decal.
As a side note, I've bought a complete spare set and had it painted body colour, and fitted a decal in the same place. I can send you a decal, you will have to remove the airbag panel and take it to a paint shop to have it put on and a coat of clear sprayed over the top, easy and cheap.
Does it have the "100" kick plates on the door sills?

Attached Thumbnails 2002 XJR 100 Question-dscf4194.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 AM

It does have the 100 on the door sills, and I have verified it is authentic, it just bothered me the XJR 100 wasnt on the passenger dash. I want to keep it as original as possible and the dealership is going to get in contact with the original owner to see if any changes were made when she owned the vehicle. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

All the 100's I have come across have the dark birds-eye maple. I almost bought one when my VDP was totaled but the car was too much of a premium over the base XJR for what was included. They did not sell all that well as many did not like the dark wood or want the problems with the brakes and wheels .. plus the price. It is possible that Jaguar made an arrangement to switch out the wood in order to sell one.

Maybe the wood on this cars dash was replaced and the replacement did not have the decal although the normal factory fix was to send them to CA for refinishing ...... maybe the decals are on top of the finish and are lost when this takes place. I know a lot of the dark wood had to go to be refinished -- for some reason -- maybe heat -- it discolored. That could also be a reason why some of the 100's you came across now have walnut.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM

I have emailed Jaguar to get the original factory specs, I'll have to compare it to specs sheets I have for other XJR 100's to see if a different wood was ordered. If this car came from the factory this way and has not been altered, my thought is that this would make the car even more rare. I have read they sold 240 in North America with left hand drive, can anyone verify this?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you post the last 6 of the vin I will check DDW for the vehicle specs.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM

Last six of the VIN are: F48435
Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Features

Equipment:Automatic TransmissionSpecial Edition BadgesBonnet LeaperGarage Door OpenerAuto Dim Interior MirrorAudio & CassetteHeated Front SeatsUnique SeatPremium SoundSport SeatsX-Drilled Brembo BrakesReverse Park ControlSilver Wheels & BrakesSuper Sport SuspensionAlloy Space Saver Wheel19x8.5 Montreal wheelsAdaptive Damping (CATS)Rain Sensing WipersBlack Fascia and Upper Door TrimSecurity SystemUnique TreadplatesSunroofNo Lines or MouldingsSVO Strg Whl & R PackWire Mesh GrilleCD 6 disc MultichangerNavigation + Disc 2 USACupholders (Front)CRUISE CONTROL Non ACCMemory FunctionDrvr=12 way Pass=12 way Rec.Heated Rear Bench SeatCarpet MatsRear Cigarette Lighter2002 Model Year
Trim Details
Trim:Charcoal XJR100Paint:Anthracite
Trim Items:Sport TrimWarm Charcoal/Warm Charcoal FaciaNimbus Grey HeadliningFlint Grey CarpetCharcoalCharcoal/Charcoal ConsoleTwin Needle StitchingCharcoal Seat BeltsCherry Red StitchingNimbus UpperUnique Veneer (100)Charcoal Welts

I know of this car the original owner is a member of the local Jaguar club.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Thanks so much for the info. If you are familiar with this car and the previous owner, I would love to find out if they ordered it from the factory to their specifications or bought it as is off the lot. Any info on why the XJR 100 is not on the passenger dash and whether or not it ever was would really help. If you have contact with the previous owner I would love to speak with them if possible. Thanks again for the info.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Yeldogt is referring to cost of brake disc/pad and curbed wheel trims.

"Any info on why the XJR 100 is not on the passenger dash and whether or not it ever was would really help." Jaxkr's confirmed it came with the car supplied,
"UpperUnique Veneer (100)"

I've seen differences in nearly every one I've looked at. Some with sun roofs, some without the kick panels, some with headlamp wash and that's just the UK cars of 85 odd. At 8-9 years old all have history. I wouldn't be too fussed, I'm sure Jaguar have one, it'll be pricey though.

Look at this car at the bottom of the page, asking £50/$77k it does look mint.

http://www.zwakmanjaguar.com/html/pictures.php

I think they're a future classic.

Last edited by Sean B; 01-10-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:29 PM

The dealership called me this morning (I have yet to pick the car up) and told me that upon further inspection, the car does have the XJR 100 on the passenger dash. The gray wood made it difficult to see. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM

i own a 100 as well. i am wondering why mine has yellow reflectors instead of the jag emblem on the front fenders ? i have seen pics of these cars both ways. also any new info on the 19 inch trim rings for the wheels?thanks
john

Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Where are you in ohio? i would love to see it sometime...

Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Came across this article in regard to the rarity of the 2002 XJR 100:

2002 Jaguar XJR 100 and XKR 100 - 2001 Frankfurt Auto Show

Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Delphi66 (John), I saw the car you bought when it was for sale.

I was wondering who would end up with this car. It has a non-
original headliner, it should be black suede. I remember it
having a generic orange side marker. Not even an OEM one.

I believe this is your car.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

@ John - 19" rings aren't being made - the guy who makes the 18/20 rings isn't planning on doing any either he's in the UK. The only option is to strip damaged rings and mirror polish the alloy rim behind. Or buy a new rim...

All 100's came with Nimbus grey headliner not black suede, that's an XFR item in black Alcantara, I've fitted storm grey Alcantara to my 100S.

The orange signals can be converted into indicators or badges fitted - up to you.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Any pictures of that headliner? And Sean B you really really need a build thread man!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 AM

Well, actually I live in Florida now and the car I bought I bought in Ft Lauderdale. It appeared the car had spent most of its life in the Miami area. I noticed yesterday the sales brochures for these cars show the yellow reflector on the front fender. I was told the models that stayed in europe had the reflectors that were actually turn signals and the cars shipped to the us had the emblem.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

Sean, all the US ones I have seen have had a dark grey, black
looking headliner. With red suede trim around the sunroof opening.

Is the standard headliner varying by market?

And Delphi, all your info is correct in that above paragraph.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ianclements
Sean, all the US ones I have seen have had a dark grey, black
looking headliner. With red suede trim around the sunroof opening.

Is the standard headliner varying by market?
No, all 100 were fitted with nimbus headliner it's not black. If you have pictures to prove otherwise I'd be most interested. Of course the headliner does fail on these, so a replacement in a different colour is a possibility.

Quick Reply: 2002 XJR 100 Question