XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 xj8l evaporator heating core high tem transmission how much work? got lotsof parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 xj8l evaporator heating core high tem transmission how much work? got lotsof parts

Ok my 98 xj8 in last 7 years, 2 engines, 1 recent rebuilt tranny, purchased 2 throttle bodys w tps, alternator, 2 radiators, mirrors, control arms, cv joints, bearings and numerous other crud. So in hopes of saving some dough the other day I purchased a similar 98 part car with no engine but pretty much every thing else, I have found many parts sites that are very reasonable and what not although after you show up or order I have found they either up sell or send the biggest pos available.

so yesterday same day my I purchased new-used part car my ac went out, for 200 local shop slapped on ac compressor and dryer, of course that seems to not solve my problem and with 100 degree humid heat feeling like 120 outside I now want to pull my hair out. mech says he thinks its evaporator and trans shop says he thinks its heater core. the mech that did ac I think is right as I hear compressor trying to click on however not water dripping from car - in Houston condensation always drips from any car - I had high temp transmission light flash on 2 days ago however no real heat radiating from drivers side wheel well nor on passengers side. I replaced transmission with rebuild unit 1 yrs warr 12000 I'm at about 1500 miles so no real worries other than ending up 1000 miles from home and it dieing and then really expensive tow-ship back.

the tranny shop did radiator flush and said fluid look and (felt?) sub-par, he did flush and checked tranny fluid and as light has never reappeared he thinks this solved problem however he says heater core is out and is impeding flow of coolant and thus could contribute to that light. He thinks not internal gauge failure as its new part there and not repeating

Anyone please able to tell me the procedure for changing heating core and evaporator as I have both in great working condition on part car just don't want to break stuff causing more issues, I am pretty handy with wrench and as the ac guy says he wants 400 not including ripping of the parts on part car. I have thrown 17k into this car in last 14 months and need to stop the bleeding! any help on basic procedures and tips greatly appreciated. also I am not in the car parts business but anyone interested in parts in the Houston Texas area let me know and I will let them go cheap as I would just like to recoup the cost of part car without having to store it for 3 yrs, I also have 2 working throttle bodys with working tps sensors already off car Ill let go cheap, I bought brand new one early this year and mine was good, just had bad wires to cpu of course parts guys don't like to take stuff back - 2800 dollar mistake learned. who wud of thunk it.

regards and thanks for help in advance -

J Udall

Old 07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok interesting...

ok I just noticed the compressor is clicking repeatedly... any ideas on how to figure out whats wrong with the ac on this thing? I have yet to replace the condenser, the evaporator and the heater core. I am getting no heat... before I rip this thing down any hints, obviously no codes. I have had electrical issues as my throttle body was changed 2 times for over 2k and it was just electrical wiring. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone needing any used working parts cheap let me know, I have 3 complete doors except drivers which has glass no leather or wood and are (green) (mines white) a good front passengers seat exhaust o2 sensors switches tail lights grill windshield glass and rear glass all perfect. would even trade for ac repairs, used car buyer offered me $550 which they will turn and sell for 4 or 5 times that. thanks!

Old 07-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Am I missing something. The HEATER CORE causing transmission problem??? I don't think so.
As to your AC problem. it needs to have diagnostics run- You won't get anywhere asking what problems it COULD be, since there are many and you have not even gotten the basic diagnostic data like high and low side pressure. You will spend a small fortune to getr someone to diagnose and fix it, or a large fortune just throwing parts at it.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If your a/c compressor is clicking on and off rapidly that is a sign of low refrigerant gas level. Put some more R134a into the system (at least another 300 grams), the compressor will then start to perform correctly i.e. clicking on and off every minute or so.