XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Alpine Sound System - no sound from radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Alpine Sound System - no sound from radio

Hi folks ! Just joined the Forum after being a Jaguar fan since the late 1960s. Recently purchased a 2000 XJR in Sapphire Blue/Ivory and have a problem which hopefully I can find an answer for here.

The car has the standard Alpine Premium Sound System and the CD changer in the boot (or trunk, depending on where you are in the world) works fine. The radio switches on and the display shows the frequencies ok and it fixes on to the preset stations but there's no sound coming out !

I've changed the radio head unit and the boot mounted amplifier independently with no success. The aerial was changed by the previous owner and would appear to be ok. Don't know if it's significant or not but the car has a Motorola Startac phone built in to the front centre armrest which doesn't seem to work either but I'm not too bothered about that. I just want the radio to work ! There's obviously power getting to the radio so it can't be a fuse or anything like that but something is stopping the sound coming from the amp to the radio.

Any suggestions ?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:36 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jys1955
Hi folks ! Just joined the Forum after being a Jaguar fan since the late 1960s. Recently purchased a 2000 XJR in Sapphire Blue/Ivory and have a problem which hopefully I can find an answer for here.

The car has the standard Alpine Premium Sound System and the CD changer in the boot (or trunk, depending on where you are in the world) works fine. The radio switches on and the display shows the frequencies ok and it fixes on to the preset stations but there's no sound coming out !

I've changed the radio head unit and the boot mounted amplifier independently with no success. The aerial was changed by the previous owner and would appear to be ok. Don't know if it's significant or not but the car has a Motorola Startac phone built in to the front centre armrest which doesn't seem to work either but I'm not too bothered about that. I just want the radio to work ! There's obviously power getting to the radio so it can't be a fuse or anything like that but something is stopping the sound coming from the amp to the radio.

Any suggestions ?
long shot but there is a switch on the back ( or bottom) of the radio to switch it from Norm to Prem.
The same radio is used in the base and premium system and will not work if the switch is not in the right position for the system that the car has

The following 2 users liked this post by luc:
jys1955 (06-28-2013), runnerpaul (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your long shot worked !!! Thank you soooo much for this. The switch underneath the head unit was indeed set at Standard instead of Premium. A quick flick and away it went !

Many thanks again !

Graham

Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Luc's response to this issue is what makes this forum so great. With so many people with so much knowledge, answers to our Jaguar problems are normally found here.
Thank you Luc.