XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Aux In Through CD Changer Cable

Hello,

This is my first post here and I am grateful this board exists. I hope someone can offer some assistance.

I have a 2000 XJR with the Alpine sound system/navigation system. I recently inspected the CD Changer and I see a circular DIN-like cable emanating from it--I believe this cable is an AI-NET cable.

Clearly, this CD changer interacts with the head unit and provides left/right pre-out audio to the amp. I would gladly give up listening to CD if I could figure out a way to place an "AUX IN" jack near the driver's seat.

My plan it to keep the CD changer installed but to splice-open the cable it has and identify the two left-channel wires and the two right-channel wires, and then solder them to an extension wire that terminates in a female phono-plug, into which I would plug the headphone-out from my MP3 device.

Has anyone does this successfully? Here are my questions:
1) What is the wiring diagram for the wires I will see when I splice-open the CD-changer cable?
2) I expect that I will need to keep the CD changer connected so that I can still select the CD changer as a source from the head unit. I would keep an empty magazine in the changer so that it remains "selected" by the head unit and (presumably) allows pre-out audio to play even when a CD is not spinning and playing.
3) Does anyone know of a ready-made product for my vehicle that would HARD WIRE an AUX-IN (I do not want any FM modulated solution)?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Regards,
Jon

Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes, it's been done - just look post #8 in the thread directly beneath yours: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11943

Thanks to SARC and Jim Roal (did I miss others?) for the information gathered to be able to do this.

You can see a schematic diagram of the wires in my post, but it is a bit more complex - I added relays to be able to select CD or AUX by using a switch in the cabin. The schematic - a thumbnail that you can click on in my post to get the full sized image, shows the color and pin numbers of the audio wires at the Ai-Net cable connector INSIDE the CD changer. This is the small board INSIDE the changer (described in more detail in the link at the bottom of this post), but it is easy to get to to modify the connections.

You must leave the CD changer connected, so the head unit can communicate with it via the Ai-Net, else the head will think it's not there and turn the link (and the audio input) off. I leave the magazine out when I plan on listening to Sirius only - the head unit displays - DISC - NO CARTRIDGE - but it works perfectly. If I plan on using both, I put the cartridge in, and it just plays away - even though I may be listening to input from the AUX instead; wish I could find a 'pause' function to stop excess wear on the CD unit... oh well. Another option is to insert an empty cartridge - I think this will allow the CD to stop operating after its determined no discs are available.

There are several other threads containing this information here at the forum - these are where I found the solution. To the best of my knowledge, through searching this and other forums and through a survey of the net, I have not found any off-the shelf, direct connect solutions for the Jag - I guess it's just not a big enough market. I've found commercial solutions for all my other, more common vehicles.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

BTW, here's a link to a GREAT article documenting much of what we are discussing (also found through this forum). It's spends most of its time describing install of a Bluetooth phone car kit in the Jag, but the last few pages describe exactly what you've requested related to the Ai-Net connector at the CD changer. Again, this is where I got the info shown in my schematic in the post (and link) mentioned above.

http://j.roal.home.mchsi.com/X308Bluetooth.pdf

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Jon

Welcome to the boards. Quad has pointed you in the right direction so you should be able to get yourself MP3 connectivity the way we did it. I looked around for months to find a solution and was lucky enough to stumble on Jim Roals method.

Just to make it interesting, I have another proposal that I think may also work, and would involve less cutting and butchering.

I had seen a post on a personal website somewhere in the UK where a guy had used one of these.....

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=321

....to do what we are trying to do. It sounded logical that it would work because it would still allow the proprietry handshake to work between the head unit and the CDchanger, and it would effectively do what the butchering method does, which is send your aux signal down the AI-NET cable instead of the signal from the CDChanger read head

I bought one thinking this was going to be the best thing since sliced bread, and hastily connected it to the AI-NET behind the headunit, exactly as the guy in the UK had done. I powered everything up and the CD changer still worked fine but the switcher wouldn't switch. I spent about 1 week emailing back and forth with the makers of the switcher, but the conclusion was that we couldn't get it to work. I returned the unit, was depressed for a further 2 months, then I found Jim Roals guide and forgot about the switcher.

About a month ago I was looking at the stereo circuit diagrams for another member on here for another reason and I noticed something that I hadn't realised before......... I had connected the switcher to the cable that runs out of the back of the head unit....... which I assumed was going to the CDChanger. Actually you can see from the diagram below that for the premium sound system, thats not the case. The CD Changer is connected to the power amp, not directly to the head unit.....

In the diagram the red circle is where I put the switcher. When I tested it I had the stereo set to CD and I couldn't hear the aux input when I turned it on. I'm now almost 100% sure that I had actually hacked into the RADIO and or TAPE signals coming from the head unit, and if i'd had the headunit set to radio I would have heard my aux input when I switched it on.

I also think that if I connected the switcher between the CDChanger and the power amp (the green circle) it would have worked as I had expected it to.

The final piece of the puzzle (why had the other guy got it to work by connecting to the cable coming from the head unit) is also explained because he had the harmon kardon system, and on that system, the cable coming from the head unit is indeed connected to the CDChanger so when he selected CD on the headunit and turned on his Aux input, it worked nicely. You can see how the harmon kardon system is different here..... the green circle was where he connected successfully...

Based on all of this hindsight, I'd bet you could get this switcher, and connect it in the trunk between the CDChanger and the amp and it would work. I don't know if you're a gambling man but I'd love for someone to try this out. I have already butchered (and it's all working) so no reason to try it, but its been bugging me for ages and it would be nice to get some closure !

Whichever way you go we're here to help you.

You should also have a look at the bluetooth connectivity thread as thats another cool mod for the car.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...rrot+bluetooth

Take care

Last edited by Sarc; 02-03-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Hi QuadManiac,

Thank you so much for all the information. I had tried searching this forum with keywords "XJR 2000 audio MP3" and came up with nothing (part of the problem is that keywords 3 letters or fewer do not get included in the search--a real problem (in my opinion) with this board's search feature because it makes it impossible to search for such popular acronyms as "XJR" or "MP3").

I have already scanned your recommended threads and they look great! I expect to work on this project over the weekend. I will certainly post my experience/findings afterwards.

But before I delve into anything, I want to reconsider what SARC has suggested (see my comments below his post).

Thank you again for all the advice.

Regards,
Jon

Old 02-03-2010, 07:30 AM

Hi SARC,

I know what you mean about getting depressed about all this.

In my search--before I joined this forum yesterday--I had called PIE, makers of the ALP/Ai-AUX product which you cited. The rep there said, quite authoritatively, that this unit absolutely won't work in my vehicle.

Now--we are all thinking people. In my mind, I sort of wonder why we can put men on the moon but we can't get a $56 device to connect to a Jaguar-branded Ai-NET cabling system. When I asked the rep why it would not work, his answer lacked any hint of technical merit. He simply said "It just won't".

When pressed, he explained that there are OEM Alpine Ai-NET configurations and After Market Alpine Ai-NET configurations and that PIE--in talking to Alpine company engineers--found that these two divisions at Alpine don't even talk to each other. He made it sound like Alpine has a box of 10,000,000 Ai-NET connectors so one group decided to use them one way and another group decided to wire them in an entirely different way. The plugs and form-factor are exactly alike but that is where the similarity ends.

I am a bit skeptical about that. I don't know why Alpine would knowingly give Jaguar cars an Ai-NET bus that is incompatible in every respect to every other Ai-NET system. The only thing I can figure is that this was something Jaguar demanded, in order to somehow "control" how its audio systems are expanded by its customers. But I always joke that typical Jaguar car buyers are older men who have sustained hearing loss and are satisfied with mediocre sound anyway--hardly the demographic that would upgrade amps and head units. (I'm in that demographic, by the way; in reality, I think most people are not audiophiles and don't know really know what good sound is--but this is another discussion...)

But Jaguar "controlling" their audio system is starting to sound like a conspiracy theory, so I really don't believe that either.

What is more likely is that few people (including PIE itself) have really taken the time/effort to understand why this PIE unit won't work--and your post is the closest I've seen to someone who has a technical understanding and has really tried (rather valiantly, I might add) to get the unit to function in the Jaguar XJ line. The only thing that bothers me is that you wrote that you had gone back and forth by e-mail with PIE and they never once said to you: "Doh! Why did you connect to the head unit when you should be connecting it to the CD changer?" I would have thought that a tech rep would have the insight to suggest that after a week of e-mailing back and forth. But then again I am not so sure. I have not been impressed with this company's knowledge of its own product. I suspect that the product was engineered by some genius guys in Japan and that PIE has simply placed their logo on it and can only offer support on systems on which they already know it will work. In other words, their "technical reps" are simply a variation of front-line customer-service rep. For the relatively small Jaguar market it seems that the company has no particular interest in helping or simply lacks resources required to help. I am rather amazed that you had purchased the device, already had it connected, had CD audio, interacted with the manufacturer, and still could not get a technician who could get it working for you. How sad. You were so close and the company would be smart to get it working for you so they could then tout that it works on Jaguar cars too!

There is another company, http://www.pac-audio.com, that has an array of iPod-to-car adapters and kits. I was sure they would have an answer (even though I don't use an iPod--I simply want an Aux-In). When I e-mailed them, they replied:

"Only the IS77 would be able to be used on your vehicle. This is a new version FM modulated unit that is a lot better than previous models."

I flat-out refuse to consider FM modulation or cassette adapters.

So I am torn whether to try your idea or just go for the Roals method. I will see if a local store carries the PIE device and, if they do, I will ask them if they can snap-it-in (my CD changer is already disconnected and in the trunk--so the cables are exposed and ready to access). Otherwise, I will see if a web-retailer would accept a return if the device doesn't work. I will then post my experience here.

In the meantime, if you have any additional thoughts I will check here for your posting(s).

Thank you for all your help, details, and thoughts,

Jon

Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 AM

Oh, I do have one question: Does anyone here know the model number of the Apline head unit that is installed in 2000 XJR vehicles? I ask because the PIE device (mentioned in my previous post here) says it will work only with certain head-unit prefixes...

Thank you,
Jon

Old 02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jon

Thanks for your feedback and support.

During all of the emails with PIE we never discussed whether this was the correct AI-NET cable coming from the headunit. To be honest I wouldn't expect the PIE guy to have the Jaguar circuit diagrams and I feel this connection method (ie CDChanger directly to the Amp) is kind of strange. The usual way to do it (in the aftermarket stuff I've seen and worked on) was to connect all sound sources to the head unit, then supply the sound signals as line outs from the head unit to the amps and then to the speakers. Addmittedly I haven't done any instals for a few years so things may have changed but for me the Jaguar premium system architecture is strange.

I agree with you about their conspiracy theory, and if you ever get the guy back on the phone, ask him this..... why was it that when I connected the switcher into the supposedly Jaguar specific AI-NET cable coming from the head unit that everything still worked fine ? Personally I think there's no way a company like Alpine would allow a situation where you could have 2 cables that looked exactly the same, and had the same end fittings but were wired differently internally. I could imagine a lot of smoking head units if they did this.

What is true is that there is a system to stop people adding other things into the system (the handshake between the head unit and the CD Changer) so why would Alpine bother to engineer this AND switch the cable wiring ? The handshake system is very effective... thats why we're talking on this board today !!!

Would be great if you could find a switcher locally and get the shop to let you try it. As you said, it's easy. The battery is in the trunk so just pull up the cover panels and run power wires directly to the switcher for testing. I couldn't find one locally (pep boys, frys, etc) so I mail ordered mine. When I thought it had beaten me I returned it with no hassles and got a full refund (minus 5 dollars or something for shipping) If you do that, just be sure to keep the box and packaging.

Agree about FM modulators. I tried one similar to the pac-audio recommendation and while it was better than the previous versions, you could still tell the difference. I kept it for 2 days, then returned that also.

For the head unit model number as you know there is nothing on the front, but I don't know about the back as I didn't think to look when I had it out. Maybe someone else here knows ? Maybe one of the Jag Techs can look it up on their parts system and it'll have an Alpine reference number ?

Take care

Scott

Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Crutchfield.com sells adapter

You can buy an adapter from Crutchfield .com for $9.99 to $15.99 for any Alpine style cable which is what is used in the jag since at least '94. Saves a lot of work and cutting of an expensive cable. I'm sure a more extensive web search could probably turn up a switcher to switch between 2 or more adapters and changer. I think I even saw one with I-pod cable connection on the other end, still less than $20.

It may be better to call crutchfield, their sales people are very knowledgable and could point you in the right direction. You will need to know your cable style, ai-net, m-bus etc.

Last edited by Real_Tech; 02-03-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Real_Tech

Just having a cable connected to the head unit doesn't work because of the handshaking thats required between the head unit and the CDChanger. (This has been covered in great detail on these posts before) Are you saying you can buy a cable the still goes to the CD changer but has external inputs for a seperate sound source ?

If so that would be great. Please show us a link to one

Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM

I just ordered one from Crutchfield today. It's an alpine part designed to specifically replace the cd changer with a dual rca connection. I'll put it in my 2002 XJ Sport and post back the results. Considering it is from alpine I bet it works fine but we will see soon. I usually receive stuff from them in just a couple of days.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Real_Tech

Please prove us wrong, but both myself and various other owners have all tried this and it does not work. I assume you are buying a cable something like....

http://www.amazon.com/SOUNDGATE-AUXC.../dp/B000EOQYJI

If you do not have the CDChanger connected when you switch the stereo on, the CD input is disabled (ie you cannot select CD on the head unit)

When you connect your cable (and not the CD Changer) and power up the headunit the handshake will fail and the CD input will be disabled. I really wish it was this simple but it's not. Jaguar put this handshake in place for exactly this reason, to prevent you connecting any old thing to the headunit. Their main goal (in my opinion) was to prevent people connecting any Alpine CDChanger into the car, and instead forcing owners to buy the bespoke Jaguar CDChanger (made by Alpine) at 3 times the price. That was then, when CDChangers were as fancy as you could get. Unfortunately nowadays we are trying to connect ipods / satellite radios / MP3 players but are getting tripped up by the same handshake security.

Please post back to confirm the bad news (just so I know I wasn't hallucinating when I tried it and it didn't work!)

Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM

What I'd like to find would be the equivalent of a short Ai-Net extender cable - a foot or so with one male and one female connector. This would allow me to perform all surgery only on the new cabe - access to break the audio cables inside it, make my adaptation to add the AUX through relays; and then just plug it in series with the existing cable at the CD unit. Anybody have any knowledge of such cable?

Of course, I can probably find male and female connectors and just make my own, but that's more work than my lazy persona is interested in...

EDIT: I found a 3.5m Ai-Net extension cable at Crutchfield with male and female connectors... a bit long. I'll keep looking and would appreciate input from anyone else.

I have PIE units in a couple of other cars, and they work fine... but I went through the same song and dance as SARC when I asked them about the Jag.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-03-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

@Quad --> Agree, that would be the cleanest lowest risk way to do this operation. I also saw this type of cable at Crutchfields, but it was discontinued.... let us know if you find one thats actually available. Would be a nice little side business :-)

Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Default More digging

I've been looking around for more info on our issue :

Real_Tech --> please note and verify yourself as you'll have access to theTSBs --> There's a TSB for the XK8s which mentions the handshaking (apparently it checks serial numbers at start up... no idea how it does that, but anyway)

TSB 415-02

VIN001001-ON

Radio & CD Autochanger Compatibility - Jaguar Units Mandatory

Issue:Jaguar radios will only interface with authorized Jaguar CD Autochangers, not Alpine aftermarket units. When the radio is switched on, an initialization process establishes communication with the changer and checks the part number of the changer to determine if it is a Jaguar unit. If the CD autochanger is not a Jaguar unit, the CD button will remain inoperative. All radios in parts stock perform the initialization process.

Action:Ensure that the CD Autochanger is Jaguar unit to avoid problems of incompatibility with the XK8 radio.

I also found this posted on another forum. This guy has a 2001 XKR with premium sound.

"I have connected my PIE AInet box in line to the only AInet socket at the back of the radio on my 2001 XKR and the ipod plays well, however, it overides the radio and not the CD player. Can you tell me where you found the Ainet input for the CD, as I cannot find it."

This makes my previous hypothesis seem accurate.... I did exactly the same thing as he did, but I didn't switch from CD to Radio...... if I had it would have worked, sob, sob. Talk about a **** up ! There were also many posts on the other forum about people getting it to work with the standard sound system by connecting behing the head unit, and this would switch the CD input, rather than the radio input.

Finally I found the original web page I had looked at before where the guy had done this succesfully in a 98 XJ8

http://myrightwingagenda.org.uk/List...ba97b777&ID=79

So, my conclusion now is :

1. If you have the premium system, if you connect the switcher behind the head unit it will work, but you would need to have the head unit set to Radio.

2. If you have the standard system, if you connect the switcher behind the head unit it will work if you have the head unit set to CD

3. I also think that if you have the premium system, you could connect the switcher in the trunk inbetween the CDChanger and the Amp and it would work if you have the head unit set to CD

4. I don't think there would be any sound quality difference between 1. and 3. and I can't see any other downsides for switching the radio signal instead of the CD signal. The one advantage of connecting the switcher behind the head unit would be that the aux input would be in the centre console already and you wouldn't need to run the wire from the trunk through the car, which you would have to do if you connected the switcher in the trunk

Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM

I found a document at mp3car.com - a lot of interesting stuff there -

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...rc-solved.html

This is a thread about the Ai-Net communications; specifically in a 2000 Jag XJ8. About halfway through the posts is link to a PDF file that describes the link architecture and reference to some (not all) digital comms back and forth between the CD changer and the head unit.

If anybody is interested in the in-depth geekdom of bi-directional serial links (as I am somewhat), this is the document for you.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-04-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by SARC
The one advantage of connecting the switcher behind the head unit would be that the aux input would be in the centre console already and you wouldn't need to run the wire from the trunk through the car, which you would have to do if you connected the switcher in the trunk
I, personally, think this is a disadvantage, at least for me. I worry about removing all the hardware to get to the head unit... In my experience, taking all the trim apart and putting it back together makes for squeaks and rattles - something that, so far, my XJ is without. I purposely went for the CD changer mod option because it avoided this possibility. (unless I'm overstating the amount of stuff that has to come out to get to the head unit... in which case, nevermind.)

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-04-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 AM

Don't get me wrong as I have not done this mod to any customers cars at the dealer. I have though installed many Alpine off the shelf CD changers and they always work in place of the factory unit. I've done this on XJ40, X300, X308. Now common sense says if the Alpine CD communicates with the head then the Alpine AUX in adapter should as well. Now a generic adapter may be wired differently than a true Alpine part, we will see soon enough. It won't be money wasted either way as my truck has an aftermarket Alpine head unit I have been wanting to put aux input on so I can quit burning mp3 discs.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 AM

Real_Tech: I too will be standing by to see how the adapter works for you. Meanwhile, I'm on the hunt for an Ai-Net extension cable that isn't three car lengths...

Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Lot's of enthusiasm for this one. It'll be intersting to see how it finishes up !

@Quad --> The stuff in your link is mind boggling..... I guess it goes to show you there's always someone more techy than you ! About removing the centre console... I've had to do it a few times, mainly to replace bulbs and it's not too bad, but I fully agree, running the 3.5mm mini jack wire from the trunk to the centre console it much easier and less risky.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Real_Tech

Any updates ? Did you get your cable and try it ?

Quick Reply: Aux In Through CD Changer Cable