XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Aux In Through CD Changer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Why are you after one of those? The Jaguar stereo's have a proprietary handshake signal, so only Jag components will talk to each other. If you buy a standard Alpine adaptor, it won't work. Just the same as how regular Alpine CD stackers don't work with our headunits

Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Guys. I have ordered also AUX IN adapter from discountstereo. I don't have amplifier so i orederd adaptor for cars with no premium sound, but i recieved the adaptor for the cars with premium.
The difference between them is to connect it straight to the back of the radio or to the amplifier in the trunk. Because i'm living in Russia so it would be a big problem to ship it back and i decided to see what is inside.

Inside there is nothing complicated. Just wires are rewired to make AUX streaming music to the inside radio amplifier.

I draw a small scheme to understand how it must be rewired and find that it can be done very easily. You just need to reconnect pins 4,5 and 6 from female to 4, 5, 6 male plug.

So it looks like that aux in jack can be soldered directly to the radio on pins 4, 5, 6 on Ai net plug and that shood work.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 xkr aux input

Originally Posted by markman
I can confirm that the PIE ALP/AI-AUX switch works on a 2002 XKR. The trick is to put the switch between the navigation unit and the amplifier. Putting the switch at the head unit or the cd changer did not work. The aux comes in through the radio.

Markman,

Hi, New here and recently acquired a 2000 XKR witt alpine sound. Looking to add an aux for mp3 listening. Would this PIE ALP/AI-AUX work on my car? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays to all!

Old 12-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmel2007
Markman,

Hi, New here and recently acquired a 2000 XKR witt alpine sound. Looking to add an aux for mp3 listening. Would this PIE ALP/AI-AUX work on my car? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays to all!
You may get more answered in the XK8 section but the PIE ALP/AI-AUX will work if you have the navigation system. The problem with putting it between the CD and amp is that the connections are backwards (M needs to be F and F needs to be M)

I believe the adapter is now discontinued so may be hard to find, and I personally had some trouble with the auto switching cutting on and out if the music wasnt loud enough.

I took it out not too long ago and replaced it with a spliced in AI cable. I bought an extension cable from ebay, cut it in half to take out much of the length. I then spliced all the signal wired back together and attached RCA inputs to the line in.

Now I have an AUX in that works when I switch to the CD, the sound quality is better and it's completely reversible by taking out the extension I made.

The one thing I would note about the ebay cable is that it is made from some standard bulk cable, has more wires than it needs for AINet and the colors are non standard. Ended up lust cutting them all, stripping the ends and probing to make a map of what wire went to what pin in the connector.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need to know the Audio Connections on the CD Changer XK8/XKR

Hi

I have a 2000 model XKR with Alpine Premium Sound and Sat Nav.

I'd like to make an audio input which will feed from the audio wires coming out the CD Changer.

Does anyone know which colour wires are the audio out from the CD changer or the pin connections on the changer itself.

I want to connect two RCA connectors on the audio out which will be audio in into the amp so I can connect a streaming device.

I've looked at plenty threads but can't actually find which colour wires to use or connections on the changer.

Kind Regards

Rocky15

Old 12-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Rocky15,

The thread you want is here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...de-easy-46489/

Unfortunately, the images aren't working on that page (at least not from my login/computer). Perhaps an Admin on this forum can fix that???

Using that thread's specific instructions, I made a female phone plug that goes directly to the Alpine amp (whether you make a phono plug or RCA plugs is obviously immaterial--what's important is getting the wiring right). In my XJR 2000, I mounted the phono plug from the trunk, under the rear seat and carpet then into the inside of the arm-rest compartment. That lets me keep my iPod out of view. It's just so cool to see that small input jack there--as if it had been factory-installed! I then added this Satechi wireless (Bluetooth) control:
Satechi Bluetooth Button Series (Media Button)

This control lets me navigate my iPod catalog without needing to take my eyes off the road. The button is small enough that I mounted it to the top-left of center console, right near the shift-control and directly on the wood veneer. My hand is always near there, so it seemed like the safest and most natural place to mount the button. (It also mounts to the steering wheel using a clamp, but I felt it got in the way when turning and I found that I don't like anything on the steering wheel that's not supposed to be there--for obvious (safety) reasons).

If you come up empty-handed and those images cannot be restored, I might have captured a copy of that document for my records. I think the right solution here is to ensure that older messages still display properly so that everyone can benefit. However, if you get nowhere, write here again and I'll try to dig-up a copy myself.

The good news is that the cable works. Don't let anyone here suggest that its existence is a myth or that it doesn't or cannot work because the system is proprietary. While it is proprietary, you can make a working cable and have your MP3 input working just fine with the existing equipment! This is thanks to the brilliant shared minds on this board who read the schematics and offered-up a solution everyone could enjoy!

Regards,
Jon500

Old 01-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hello to everybody,

have a closer look on Gopi's How To. Did it the same way and I'm very happy with it.
Link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ctions-144735/

Color codes (connector inside CD changer): blue = left signal, black = ground, green = right signal

Cheers,
Alexander