XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Boot Open! Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts
Unhappy Boot Open! Please Help.

Greeting!

I own a 2001 XJ8 and on the center console its says Boot Open (Trunk Open). I need your guys help to figure this out! I have changed the microswitch and I have checked the wiring loom on the right side of the trunk hinge. The wires are perfect and the mircoswitch is doing its job. the thing is that sometimes i open the trunk the lights are off. I have also check the latch that also is doing is job. When i try to press the trunk button on the key FOB or on the dash nothing happens when i go to press the button on the trunk (chrome strip). I think it could be the Trunk Locking actuator or the Chrome strip with the JagLogo button. And I can't lock the car with the FOB it makes a EEE noise and when i do it with the key it just locks and makes the EEE sound..... Help Much Appreciated

Thank you guys, and please help me.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The EEE sound is just telling you the alarm can't set because a lock is open.
I would first try to remove and clean the connector on the SCLM (security and locking module). It is located beneath the fuse in the boot/trunk. water builds up below the fuse box and can corrode the terminals.
Once it is cleaned and reconnected do a hard reset on the system.(disconnect the ground lead from the battery and touch it to the positive lead). If it doesn't solve the problem then it has to be the micro-switch or wiring. The switch may be working but the lock mechanism may not be properly adjusted to stroke the switch.
Last resort continuity check of each of the switches wiring to assure you don't have an internally broken wire. You can connect a meter from the switch lead to the SCLM pin for the wire.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
xj trunk lock.doc (54.5 KB, 214 views)
The following users liked this post:
omgimali (07-20-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply! hopefully i can try it this week and i'll tell you whats wrong!

Old 11-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation

would this be causing my boot open warning message? A broken plastic boot latch and boot latch itself?

Attached Thumbnails Boot Open! Please Help.-img_8690.jpg   Boot Open! Please Help.-img_8691.jpg   Boot Open! Please Help.-img_8692.jpg   Boot Open! Please Help.-img_8694.jpg   Boot Open! Please Help.-img_8695.jpg  

Old 11-25-2016, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by omgimali
would this be causing my boot open warning message? A broken plastic boot latch and boot latch itself?
Yes, did something fall into the recess obstructing the lock to close?

omgimali (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

+1 Is the fixed latch component on the body misaligned (loose bolts?). Clearly your boot latch is slamming onto something hard and not triggering the sensor.

Otherwise, I would tear into the wiring running along the right hinge for a frayed wire (my problem on my first 01X308; took the tech three tries in 02 to fix). But that beat up latch cover says that's not the problem, most likelihood an alignment problem -- may even have broken the latch, hard to tell from your photo. So, minimally, quit trying to close it until you fix the alignment, you are making it worse.

omgimali (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

I dont know as my uncle who was very old (passed away) had this car before i did. But he might have hit something that caused this warning message? The boot closes nicely and only on one try, should I replace the Boot latch and plastic cover?

Old 11-26-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

the switch should be a closed circuit when the trunk is open if I remember the mechanism correctly (switch is not pushed down when latch is open?). If I'm correct there, what happens when you unplug your microswitch? If the boot lights and warning message stay on, your issue is between the connector and SLCM. If the warning goes away, it's between the connector and the latch alignment noted earlier.

omgimali (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
the switch should be a closed circuit when the trunk is open if I remember the mechanism correctly (switch is not pushed down when latch is open?). If I'm correct there, what happens when you unplug your microswitch? If the boot lights and warning message stay on, your issue is between the connector and SLCM. If the warning goes away, it's between the connector and the latch alignment noted earlier.
i should try this out.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nilanium
+1 on some systematic checking.
One small warning, I had a problematic limit switch; when measured for connectivity, it was all right, but when connected, it could not always carry the load of the lights.
I think your problem is the opposite (it stays connected where it should not), but just in case ...

omgimali (11-27-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

If the boot lid latch switch is UNPLUGGED (open circuit) the lights will not illuminate and the BOOT OPEN will not display. The VALET mode will NOT CANCEL!!!

I had a customer car that had NO lights and NO BOOT OPEN display so I pulled the interior liner out to look at the wiring. The switch was unplugged so I plugged it in and the lights STAYED ON. The previous owner did not repair the fault, only unplugged the switch.

I installed a new switch and the system operates normally.

bob

omgimali (11-27-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If the boot lid latch switch is UNPLUGGED (open circuit) the lights will not illuminate and the BOOT OPEN will not display. The VALET mode will NOT CANCEL!!!

I had a customer car that had NO lights and NO BOOT OPEN display so I pulled the interior liner out to look at the wiring. The switch was unplugged so I plugged it in and the lights STAYED ON. The previous owner did not repair the fault, only unplugged the switch.

I installed a new switch and the system operates normally.

bob
so if i unplug my microswitch and the message and lights go away then I have a faulty switch and latch? becuase i remember replace my switch last year and when i unplugged it, the lights would cut off/

Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

ok, so I have the trunk liner slightly open where I can see the Microswitch plug connecter, I tried to unplug it but just can't, it is on very tight. Is there any tool i use to remove the switch.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

I presume you got the lock out, hanging on the connection rods, right?

Removing the micro switch is a bit of a hassle, but it can be done with a small screw driver and some careful applied force.If I remember well, you have to lift one side, and then it comes out under an angle (with some scraping).

I took my old one out three times, and finally installed a new one, all needed some force, but they will survive that.

omgimali (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I presume you got the lock out, hanging on the connection rods, right?

Removing the micro switch is a bit of a hassle, but it can be done with a small screw driver and some careful applied force.If I remember well, you have to lift one side, and then it comes out under an angle (with some scraping).

I took my old one out three times, and finally installed a new one, all needed some force, but they will survive that.
Appreciate it, I installed it, no more Boot Open after 9 years, I took the car to the dealer couple years ago, they told me it was some sensor it was going to be in the $1000s range to replace, I said nah.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Appreciation is in the little things sometimes ...

I had my problem with the trunk lights, bad switch, very annoying.
Spraying some liquid in it worked for some weeks, but I finally replaced the switch, problem solved ever since.

omgimali (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Greeting!

I own a 2001 XJ8 and on the center console its says Boot Open (Trunk Open). I need your guys help to figure this out! I have changed the microswitch and I have checked the wiring loom on the right side of the trunk hinge. The wires are perfect and the mircoswitch is doing its job. the thing is that sometimes i open the trunk the lights are off. I have also check the latch that also is doing is job. When i try to press the trunk button on the key FOB or on the dash nothing happens when i go to press the button on the trunk (chrome strip). I think it could be the Trunk Locking actuator or the Chrome strip with the JagLogo button. And I can't lock the car with the FOB it makes a EEE noise and when i do it with the key it just locks and makes the EEE sound..... Help Much Appreciated

Thank you guys, and please help me.
How did you check the wiring loom?

omgimali (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark SF
How did you check the wiring loom?
Just a bad switch.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Appreciation is in the little things sometimes ...

I had my problem with the trunk lights, bad switch, very annoying.
Spraying some liquid in it worked for some weeks, but I finally replaced the switch, problem solved ever since.
Did you also have the BOOT OPEN Message?

Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Did you also have the BOOT OPEN Message?
No, only the trunk light coming on delayed or not at all. But that is the reverse connection from your problem so it is logical I did not get the message.

Last edited by ericjansen; 12-22-2016 at 03:33 AM.
omgimali (12-22-2016)

Quick Reply: Boot Open! Please Help.