XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Brake pedal travel

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Brake pedal travel

I replaced my brake pads last summer. Everything works fine except for what I feel is too much brake pedal travel. Today I bled brakes while replacing fluid. Went thru procedure a few times but the pedal travel is still too much(I feel, goes a little past half way to floor).
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave

Old 10-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake pedal travel

I am new to "modern" cats but recently purchased a 99 XJ8L. Brakes work fine but more pedal travel than I am accustomed to. Seems I have read that is normal. Hopefully some more experience owners will respond.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by D. Fite
I replaced my brake pads last summer. Everything works fine except for what I feel is too much brake pedal travel. Today I bled brakes while replacing fluid. Went thru procedure a few times but the pedal travel is still too much(I feel, goes a little past half way to floor).
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave
Gentlemen...thert is nothing wrong with your braking sysytem...you just need to get used toi the 'feel' of the ATE braking systems.
They have a longer than normal pedal travel.
I jumped into an opisitions car and neraly wemt through thge screen because of the instant fell of pedal.
I like the Jaguar progressive feel....so much more calming ;o)

Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

You are absolutely right, of course. Still, I like a harder brake. On each of my Jags and Land Rovers, the brake has been slow and low, but each car stopped perfectly; yet, when I was forced to drive a loaner, XF or LR2, their brakes were more like BMW or Nippon products than UK (apparently a change in philosophy) . . .

Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Not sure of differences between X300 and X308 braking systems but my X300 has a long-ish, soft-ish pedal. It's not uncommon in ABS-equipped cars.

Whenever brake repairs are done is very typical to become hyper-aware of brake pedal feel immediately afterwards. I've observed it many times and even fallen victim to it myself.

For years and years I've done nearly all the repairs on all the family cars. I used my own family members to test my theory. I'd service the car and return it to [mom, dad, cousin, daughter, wife, or brother] with the remark "I also adjusted the brakes" or "I bled the brakes while I was at it".

Of course, I never even touched the brakes at all.

Almost without fail I'd get a phone call an hour later. "The brakes feel a little soft" or "The pedal feels a little low".

When I bought my XJR I flushed the brake fluid as part of the major service I perform on any used car I buy. I was convinced the pedal was too soft afterward. It took me some time....and repeated system bleedings....to realize that I was being as hyper-sensitive as everyone else.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for all your input on pedal travel. Done a lot of brake jobs on my cars and can't remember any having much extra travel after job done so I thought I should get more input. Bled them again and changed fluid and still the same but I am satisfied now that all is okay. Test drive was fine just still have the pedal travel. Don't mined it just concerned.
Thanks again, Dave

Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by D. Fite
Thanks for all your input on pedal travel. Done a lot of brake jobs on my cars and can't remember any having much extra travel after job done so I thought I should get more input. Bled them again and changed fluid and still the same but I am satisfied now that all is okay. Test drive was fine just still have the pedal travel. Don't mined it just concerned.
Thanks again, Dave
Dave....I improved the 'feel' of my brakes by changing the hydraulic hoses over to Goodridge stainless hoses (after 15 years they needed changing) and fitting Akebono ceramic pads.
I also use a pressure bleeder.
Still has a little 'soft' feel but hey, it's amazing how easy one aclimitises to a situation ;o)