XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Car wil not start after harness replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 05:27 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Car wil not start after harness replacement

To make an extremely long story short…we replaced a burnt cabin wiring harness and made absolutely sure it was the correct one. The car will turn over, but will not start. Is there a reset, or some “trick” to get this car started? The burn was caused by an upholsterer that put a 10 amp fuse in a 5 amp slot in the rear driver side kick panel fuse box to get the driver seat to work/adjust. And because they pinched some wires reinstalling the driver seat, the driver airbag deployed.The airbag has also been replaced with the correct one. The thing is, the car was drivable even with the air bag deployment until I could get it to the shop, I just accessed the gearshift bypass hole to put it in gear. They even moved the car a couple of times at the shop.
now, after replacing the air bag and wiring harness, all fuses being checked out, it will not fire and start.

Old 08-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Received 2,619 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Just to be clear, when the ignition switch is turned to position 3 (engage starter motor), the starter turns the engine, but the engine does not start? Is that correct?

One place to start is to check all other components on the circuit(s) that had damaged wires, including all connectors and earthing points. Next, check to see if there's fuel pressure at the fuel rail in the engine.

The following users liked this post:
3timejag (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 06:45 PM
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Had similar problem when I replace the engine in an XK8. Check the connection with the 10 mm bolt just to make sure you didn’t bend a pin inside it. Everything is so tight inside there I would think you didn’t have something Connected. In my case the exact same thing was happening and it was a electrical lead coming off the transmission from the passenger side that was disconnected everything would crank but it would not fire I could even dumped gasoline in it and it would fire but it would not run those are so tight all those connections to get in there and see what you have to do good luck

The following users liked this post:
3timejag (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 09:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you all for the replies.
I actually went down to the shop afte posting my question and spent a couple of hours. I noticed for the first time, that the little red programming light was on quite brightly. That didn’t seem right, so I went back home to get the fob (as it wasn’t working so I didn’t give it to them). When I went to program the fob to see if the light would go away, after that, it started! It was a “hard start” due to it having sat for many weeks, but it finally started and kept starting perfectly after letting it run for a while.
What I don’t know is, why that programming light is still on. The fob won’t program, but apparently it did something to allow the car to fire up when I tried to program it.