XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

changed shocks but something's wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts

How did you compress extra bushings along the old mount i would think it is impossible? did you take apart original mount and fit new bushings there?
I think we are venturing too far with our investigation, Mobile1 should make an objective assessment, does his car handle like stiff sport suspension or rather like there is something wrong? I think faults in the suspension would have some side effects like car pulling to one side, tramlining, trembling at certain speeds, loosing control over bumps/holes/irregularities, etc.
Change from soft shocks (even softer when old) to sport kyb must feel like something wrong with suspension which not necessarily is the case

Old 04-15-2019, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add my 2 cents as it were. I also just switched to KYB Gas A Just all around when doing a full brake job. They are harsh. I've lost that buttery Grand Tourer feel. After living with this for 2-3 weeks, I'm sure my wife won't like it. But it does feel less jittery on broken pavement, which we have a lot of in NYC. With that, I'm hypersensitive to every little noise and will have my mechanic check, tighten and lube everything under the car!
Unfortunately, this thread occurred to late, (by a couple of days), to clue me in to Sensen opinions or the Bilstein's, which were harder to find.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Rockautp has the best deal on Bilsteins. Just bought rears (the cooler green ones) and new spring cup foams (coil spring insulators) for about $250 Shipped (you need to change both when you do the rears or it will sit low).

Others have good prices on Bilsteins alone shipped, but you need the foam insulators, also.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:32 AM

Green bilsteins are for the cars fitted with sport suspension which on the rear have different spring. it is the play of those two elements (spring and strut) that make the Jag Ride, if you fit greens on comfort springs you could get something you wont like later.
On the other hand i find comfort bilsteins a tad too soft for the back, i'm wondering if greens would stiffer the thing a bit but not as much as kyb

Old 04-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by xjack
Green bilsteins are for the cars fitted with sport suspension which on the rear have different spring. it is the play of those two elements (spring and strut) that make the Jag Ride, if you fit greens on comfort springs you could get something you wont like later.
On the other hand i find comfort bilsteins a tad too soft for the back, i'm wondering if greens would stiffer the thing a bit but not as much as kyb
I'm putting an XK8 rear swaybar on the back of mine, so stiffer shocks are what I want. If I run across an XJR front bar, I'll put that on, too. The ride currently is "fluffy cloud" and I can live with some roughness if if means I can take off ramps 10 mph faster.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:29 AM

That's fine to redo suspension your way as long as you have a clear vision, know what you are doing and it helps you enjoy the car
Pressing jag to the limits and also watching my "other half" grasping into seat while i'm at it, is a certain and unmissable fun, hard to regret all job invested in the repairs..