XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

changed shocks but something's wrong

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Banned
Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Default changed shocks but something's wrong

hi guys . I changed the shocks but there's something wrong. the new shocks improved the suspension system but there's something wrong for example if I drive at 20mile the there's very small hole on the road or tiny stones I can feel it horribly and it shake the entire car and also dashboard make click and noisy sounds .

which part must be changed?

thanks .

Old 03-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts

There are sport and comfort struts for the car also some brands are stiffer than others. Maybe nothing wrong with the suspension and you just don't enjoy your new struts.
Did car handle like that before the change?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Also, was it ONLY the shocks that you changed? Front, rear, both? Mounts or anything done at the same time? The shocks are a big part of the equation, but there are a lot of things that could cause more issues.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CharlzO
Also, was it ONLY the shocks that you changed? Front, rear, both? Mounts or anything done at the same time? The shocks are a big part of the equation, but there are a lot of things that could cause more issues.
​​​​​​the shocks came with set of upper and lower bushing that's all what I changed rear and front shocks.
I don't have much experience in the suspension system

Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 PM

I hope he followed our advice and changed all the items we have listed in previous thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:36 PM

so back to previous question, did the car handling changed with shock replacement?

Old 03-21-2019, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xjack
I hope he followed our advice and changed all the items we have listed in previous thread
it came with bushing set so I didn't change the front mounts . the rear bolts were fine . I think it might be the springs or as you said it's the shocks itself not comfortable. it's KYB gas a just

Old 03-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Banned

so back to previous question, did the car handling changed with shock replacement?
not much

Old 03-21-2019, 04:56 PM

KYB have stiff fame but as Charlz said there are more things that could go wrong, you could lift the car and check for loose suspension components, rock the wheels at 6 and 12 o'clock, check for visible movement at bushes etc
I've bought my car with old kyb and they were not enjoyable at all i can only imagine how stiff they are when new

Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM
Banned

my god I wish I spent little more and got something more comfortable . bushes had no cracks too but looked dry . sounds like it's the kyb sports shocks

Old 03-21-2019, 05:15 PM

General consensus here is that comfort will suffer with anything less than bilsteins, not sure if boge and sachs does shocks for this model but in the past they were excellent option too

Old 03-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Change the shock mounts when you change the shocks. They are only $25 each.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:20 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

The KYB's I bought for mine turned to absolute garbage within about 20k miles. I replaced them under warranty, they went bad just as quick. I have an XJR so I wasn't paying attention to full comfort, but didn't find them too harsh, but it also depends on the roads and everything else. Very rare for a spring to go bad, so you're probably good there. But you also have the control arm and subframe bushings, ball joints, bearings, sway bar and links, all of which can do funny things. Usually you'll hear rattling from one of those, but you might also have to use a pry bar and wiggle on parts to find some play if that's the case.

As was mentioned, does the car do anything else strange that it didn't before? Does it sit properly and look normal? Just trying to narrow down if there could be something else install-related (even though they're straight forward, you never know!)

Old 03-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I went w/ to me unheard of Sensen part # 3213-0156, 1213-0274 shocks front & back, about 2 years in they are awesome, mind you I did all related rubbers etc. as well.

Last edited by King Charles; 03-22-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CharlzO
The KYB's I bought for mine turned to absolute garbage within about 20k miles. I replaced them under warranty, they went bad just as quick. I have an XJR so I wasn't paying attention to full comfort, but didn't find them too harsh, but it also depends on the roads and everything else. Very rare for a spring to go bad, so you're probably good there. But you also have the control arm and subframe bushings, ball joints, bearings, sway bar and links, all of which can do funny things. Usually you'll hear rattling from one of those, but you might also have to use a pry bar and wiggle on parts to find some play if that's the case.

As was mentioned, does the car do anything else strange that it didn't before? Does it sit properly and look normal? Just trying to narrow down if there could be something else install-related (even though they're straight forward, you never know!)
I will change the front mounts and the link I think I can't remember the exact part name .

the bushing are fine today I went to another shop and the guy had good knowledge he checked the rear suspension and he discovered the upper bolt of the rear mount is broken so he said this gonna take about an hour bring it tomorrow because he had lot of work . hopefully nothing goes wrong with this broken bolt

the car look little low from tail

Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM

If your mechanic meant one of the four bolts fixing spring pan to the frame than they are not crucial, of course you should change it when you can but your car rather wont come apart without it and surely wont cause vibration you are feeling
If your car didn't rattle before strut change than perhaps struts are at fault, you have two options here, fit the comfort struts and sell kyb on ebay (they are new so it would be fair deal) or use bad luck for good purpose and actually ride the car in sporty way as intended by sport kyb shocks
Before dropping the funds on the car make sure the parts you are replacing are really broken, unless of course you don't mind doing it or want end up with the perfect suspension

The following users liked this post:
RA110623 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by mobile1
it came with bushing set so I didn't change the front mounts ... it's KYB gas a just
What do you mean by "it came with bushing set so I didn't change the front mounts"? Did you install the front KYB shocks together with some bushes at the top that came with it?

Old 03-23-2019, 05:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
What do you mean by "it came with bushing set so I didn't change the front mounts"? Did you install the front KYB shocks together with some bushes at the top that came with it?
yes

Old 03-23-2019, 05:51 AM
Banned

If your mechanic meant one of the four bolts fixing spring pan to the frame than they are not crucial, of course you should change it when you can but your car rather wont come apart without it and surely wont cause vibration you are feeling
If your car didn't rattle before strut change than perhaps struts are at fault, you have two options here, fit the comfort struts and sell kyb on ebay (they are new so it would be fair deal) or use bad luck for good purpose and actually ride the car in sporty way as intended by sport kyb shocks
Before dropping the funds on the car make sure the parts you are replacing are really broken, unless of course you don't mind doing it or want end up with the perfect suspension
if it's just the shocks that make this problem I have no choice except useing them I can't spend more at this time will use them for a time then change them to higher quality brand . will never buy KYB again

Old 03-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by mobile1
yes
You should not use/add any bushing that came with the KYB shocks at the top of the front shocks. The Jaguar front shock mounts/towers already have foam bushes. Inserting more bushes here may pre-compress the shocks too much causing them to bottom-out which, of course, would cause very hard ride.

Quick Reply: changed shocks but something's wrong