XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts
Default Taiwan - 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas

OK,

First post, and hopefully reasons to be a member in the coming days if I purchase the car I am looking for.

Originally from Holland, been living in Taiwan and China for the last 17 years, now relocating back to Taiwan.
Been lurking on the forum for some months now, using the knowledge in my search for a Jaguar here.

Considering that older cars are limited, and not always well maintained, I determined to focus on a X308 as the oldest model to consider.
Seen several, now focusing on a 1998 Vanden Plas in Spruce Green, with an Ivory interior.

Car was imported from the US in 1999, seems to have had only one owner, done some 60.000 km (~37.000 miles).
Got the usual small nicks here and there, and seems to have had some right rear damage, which was re-sprayed.
It also lost the swage line in some stage, probably during repainting (??).
Still got all original tags on all body parts though.

Those relative small issues don't make me running away as long as the base is ok, and the relative low milage makes this one interesting.

Had a quick check yesterday, and will return tomorrow for a detailed check, a testride and hopefully a look while lifted.
I have prepared all checklists floating around on this forum, and I am technical enough for judgment on the main issues as waterpump, tensioners, gearbox issues, etc.

Was however just wondering if there is anything specifically to the 4.0L engine, as most forum discussions go about the 3.2L.
I saw it is just an increased stroke, so I presume not, but just in case.

Anything else which needs to be checked specifically on a VDP?

Keep you updated!

Eric

Attached Thumbnails Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-20131227_161241_zpsa42958f6.jpg  

Last edited by ericjansen; 03-08-2014 at 03:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:36 AM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

"Swage Line" I assume is a term for "pin stripe", in which case I
should mention that a US Spec car never had one from the factory.
If it was ever done, it was only by dealers to tack on a little profit.

This being the US-centric Jaguar forum, almost none of the discussion
is surrounding 3.2 variants of the V8, although so far as I know they
were offered in all other world markets, and there are no problems
unique between the 3.2 and 4.0 N/A.

The 1998 car with 37,000 miles sounds like an ill-advised investment
in my opinion. Check the rear of the block with an inspection mirror
to ensure that the engine is a replacement engine. If it isn't, it has Nikasil
cylinder liners and 1st generation plastic timing chain tensioners.

Depending on the quality of fuel in the Pacific Rim area since 1999, I
assume some high sulphur fuel had a chance to be run, and the car
may not be immune from developing a compression issue. Also the
Tensioners need to be updated to protect the engine. (when they fail,
they will destroy the engine in all likelihood)

Side note about 37,000: this little mileage not only means a compression/
non-replacement-by-Jaguar engine risk, but also that all of the seals are likely to begin leaking if the car is subjected to daily use. (they are 16 years old and
have never been used, this is very common with ultra-low mile used cars.)
37,000 is okay, (it's totally different than, say 15000), just make sure there
was some regular driving in the recent past.

Cheers, and good luck. It's a great looking car!

Ian

Old 12-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Welcome from me too.

All good advice above. As you have been using the forum and you have some mechanical knowledge buying a low mileage Jag doesn't mean a cheap car. Looks the part though.

Guess the price comes into it too. But my 98/99 with a 165K (nicasil) on it drives beautifully and has been no trouble at all. Look for service records and how the low kilometres were done and whats been spent on the car,

Good luck with what you decide.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Change all the coolant and heater hoses, install a new water pump and belt idler pulley and replace the plastic thermostat housing with an aluminum one. (Welsh enterprises).
NEVER let the engine overheat. It WILL destroy a nikasal engine. The 98 engine is not
interchangeable with newer 4.0 Liter engines. Something to do with the engine computer. A 97 XK8 engine will work as a replacement though. Expect to pay nearly the car purchase price in yearly maintenance.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, thanks for the advise so far, mostly in line with the checklists and various threads I have read so far.
I appreciate your advise, hope to return the favors soon (if you need to know anything on Ducati's, I can return the favor right away...).

Went with 2 pages of checklist topics to see the car again today, and made a test-ride as well.
It has been a chauffeur driven car, an inside sleeper, and that can be seen.
I did not find any bubble or trace of rust or corrosion under rubbers, inside wheel, arches, nothing!

Internally I only found a defect rear speaker.

Externally the bonnet gas-cylinders are shot, as mentioned the rear right is re-sprayed (moved the internal lining, it seems all original panels without any visible damage on the inside), I doubt it was more then a scratch), and all VIN tags are present.
As far as I can judge from invoices and visual inspection, the liquids are fresh.
On visual inspection, I can't find any leaks, or traces of leaks.

On the engine, I presume this car never had a recall after it was exported from the US.
So I presume it is the original Nikasal engine, with the old tensioners.

Upon cold start, I hear a slight rattle on the right cylinder bank at idle, only if I put my ear at 4" distance.
Also hear a slightly more pronounced rattle upon acceleration, although it disappeared when the engine was fully warmed.
I presume tensioners are the first things on the list to replace.

Removed the oil cap at warm idle, no noticeable irregularities.
Also not any sludge or oil deposits anywhere.

Tomorrow morning the car goes on the lifter for that part of the check.

If anyone still have time, can you give me a ballpark figure on the following:
1. Tensioners + seals
2. Waterpump
3. Belt idler Pulley
4. Thermostat housing

If nothing bad comes up tomorrow, I want to try to make a deal.
It should be great if I can slap him with an estimate of part-costs to try to talk the price down a bit.
He seemed surprised that a foreigner knew so much more about a car then he did, and that I spent 2 hours up and under the car already.
Taiwanese buyers will never do that ...

Thanks again, keep you updated!

Eric

Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member

" Expect to pay nearly the car purchase price in yearly maintenance."

Maybe if he pays $300 for it.yes. About what I spend in standard services not including consumables like tyres and disc pads for the last 3 years.(although they haven't been needed)

Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member

Tensioners + seals
2. Waterpump
3. Belt idler Pulley
4. Thermostat housing = around $1100.00 AUD for the parts (British Parts) plus Labour
That's with new chains and serp belt too.

Maybe (subject to correction) 12-15 Hours. Haven't done it yet.But should give you a rough idea. Good Luck with it.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, that's a big help!

If buying the car, it will be for a long time, so I do not have a problem to throw some money in it, and to up up the reliability.
And yeh, I know they are not cheap to maintain, but what's the fun of a Toyota Yaris ...?

One last thing (I had a big argument with the seller about this):
The car was imported from the US, and has the speedo in miles.
He says that upon importing the car into Taiwan, the counter was reprogrammed to KM, where I argued that most likely it is counting in miles.

I can live with 60.000 miles in stead of 60.000KM, but was just wondering.
What you think?

Eric

Old 12-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Hi Eric:
60K is still a low mileage car. I bought my beautiful, accident free '98 last summer with 93K on the clock for $3500 and have spent not a small amount of money updating the things already mentioned. Of course, you can save some of that if you do your own wrenching. The big shoe that is waiting to drop is, of course, the transmission. They are notoriously weak on these early X308s. And if you buy this car, it might not be a bad idea to begin saving for a rebuild just in case… Upon further reflection, you may decide that it's just too much money to spend on an old car. I think the jury is still out for me on that one, despite how nice the car is to drive and now pretty it looks.

Then again, when we purchase our Jags we're following our hearts, not necessarily our heads.

Best of luck!
Scott

Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Then again, when we purchase our Jags we're following our hearts, not necessarily our heads.

Got some Ducati's and other stuff, can say I am familiar with the 'heart' and 'head' thing

Ok, good news.
Spent an hour under the lifted car, and I am absolutely stunned.

Have seen quite some underbodies of older cars, but this one is amazing.
Just coated in a small layer of the usual dust/mud, there is not a single trace of rust, corrosion, leaks, grease or indications of previous leaks.
No additional coating, no repairs or patch-ups, very clean exhausts welds.

It is almost too good to be true, and I went through the usual: "what the ****, are they pulling me a leg?"
But I can't find any indication that such should be the case.
As mentioned, it has been a one-owner, chauffeur driven car, and it seems he spent more time cleaning then driving while on duty.

I also traced down the garage where the car has been in service from 2007, and got the service records from the owner there.
Although I still have to decipher a bit more (all in Chinese), I can see the owner spent not only money on the car for services, but also for parts.
Always original Jaguar parts, and always taking precautions (like exchanging 4 shocks when one started to leak).
The garage owner there also confirmed the owner really took care of the car (not really the normal attitude towards service here in Taiwan).

So, decision making was easy.
I know I pay a premium for this car compared to other cars on offer (and surely compared to prices in the US).
I however plan to keep this car for the rest of my life, and what better can I start with?
There are definitely cheaper cars out there (although never saw an other VDP), but I don't see how saving 1000 or 2000 USD now will bring me any advantages on the long term.
Besides, the VDP interior, the external color (most Jags are black here), well, it all adds up.

Car was already transferred yesterday, will pick it up this afternoon or on the 2nd of January, depending how fast the banks are working today.

Thanks for the support, Happy New Year!

Eric

Attached Thumbnails Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc00899_zps33302554.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc00898_zps6b2d3a2b.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Gippsland (12-31-2013), MidwestJag (12-30-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member

That's awesome Eric.
Very happy for you. I hope you get many trouble free years of motoring. Sounds like all your homework paid off.

Don't be a stranger,I would be interested in a follow up to see what you think of your car after some use.

Thanks for the Pictures, Neil.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Sounds like you pulled the trigger after some well-thought out detective work -- congrats! Looks and sounds like a good purchase.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations Eric!! Sounds like you have a nice low mileage and well serviced vehicle.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, will surely stay here, and one day might be able to even contribute ...

Surely the info on this forum has been a great help in determining the steps we took.
It is good to know that the main problems are well traceable, and preventable, and it give peace of mind going into a venture like this.

Then my final thanks go this lady, who did not only agreed on this, but actually supported this with all she had!
If it were not her relentless efforts in finding this car, and dealing with all matters, I guess we should have ended up in Toyota Prius.

15 years married, she now faces an other challenge, as she was diagnosed with breast cancer some weeks ago.
Go Sarah go!!

Attached Thumbnails Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-20140101_0951460_zps3538d76b.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member

You take me up and take me back down again Eric.

If that is the Jag you brought it looks stunning in that Picture. That is a great pity about your wife.

Best of luck Sarah,it can be beaten and I hope you do...

Old 01-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Good luck, Eric; and best wishes to Sarah! We're pulling for her and she has been prayed for this day!

Cheers,
Scott

Old 01-03-2014, 01:30 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Eric beautiful project to undertake! 15 years and no nicks on that body, you've done well selecting once before on high-end/maintenance lol

I will be keeping Sarah in my prayers for a healing, hope, love, support and the emotional/mental/physical strength to kick breast CA in the backside! I pray that her medical team are motivated, knowledgeable and encouraging on this new unplanned journey in your lives. Always keep your head up and most of all always encourage this beautiful woman and let her know that you are there with every step she takes, and when she can't make those steps you will carry her, as she will be light as a feather as God will be carrying the both of you.

The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to consider draining and refilling the "lifetime" 60-80k ATF fluid. You can use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 01-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Default And here she is ...

Thanks Neil, Scott and "Chris", much appreciated.
We got some more uncertain news this morning, but what can we do other then what we did already (deal with it, and check as much as possible on possibilities and alternatives)?

To have the mind off a bit, washed and cleaned the car inside & out (no better way to find any hidden issues).
Although I have a long list of small issues (not broken, but just because I am a sucker on perfection), nothing disturbing so far.

Show you why I think we made a great deal:

The car front & back, spruce green, although it looks black on most pictures.
As still mostly in the original paint, it got it's normal wear and tear, and a little scratch here and there.
Nothing too dramatic, and with a day of work of repairing and buffing, most will be like new again.

Original floormats. Cleaned some small stains, and they look like new again.
The previous car owner also had some sustainable mats made, not the best looking, but good for rainy days:

Wheels. I am not sure but I think they are re-coated.
Anyway they look like new.

Interior, not a single crack or scratch in the wood.
I cleaned the leather, now waiting for a bottle of Zaino Z-10.
The driver seat has some minor cracks, but much less then any other Jag I have seen so far.

Trunk. An other very clean place. Repaired the light this morning (switch issue) and the side liners (sacking).
The cable is for a DVD/TV player. That one has to go.
Again another sign this car was taken care of, the DVDplayer was not bolted, but just fitted with double sided tape ... No holes!

And the after-market rear-mirror.
It is actually a mirror / NAV / DVD / TV / rear camera combo.
It is the only thing I don't like, and got to go.
However, the original mirror underneath is broken, so will need to wait till I got a replacement.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01053_zps30aaa8cf.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01004_zps200e9dbc.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01017_zps42c1b62f.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01014_zpsd45416d1.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc00995_zps913e5d59.jpg  

Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01011_zpsf6f92282.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01023_zps4350ef6d.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01026_zpsf80cd703.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01035_zps329cfab1.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01046_zps5de7c2ec.jpg  

Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01044_zpsd506c31b.jpg   Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas-dsc01082_zpsbd68b4b4.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Gippsland (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jlowman
You may want to consider draining and refilling the "lifetime" 60-80k ATF fluid. You can use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
Enjoy the ride!
Thanks, surely will!

Yes, it is on the list, but I will need to be absolutely sure that the correct oil will be used, and the correct procedure will be followed.
Not something you can always rely on in this part of the world.

Last edited by ericjansen; 01-04-2014 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Close to buy a 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas