XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

complete premium audio custom rebuild...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:39 AM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default complete premium audio custom rebuild...

hey guys n gals ... i am currently in the pre-works of a project on my Jag...so i am going to share my idea with you guys if i have overlooked any potential problems!

okay so i have a alpine premium factory audio...with tweeters in the A pillars and etc...(2001 Jaguar XJR)

my idea....

Head unit....get a single din pop-up audio unit (with single DIN Mount but could not find any wiring harness) change the speaker signals (4x FL/FR/RL/RR) to RCA cables(4 total) to run to the trunk of the car with remote wire (this will make sense later)...use the IGN wire and Power and Ground from the factory adapter (ill need help with that)
I do not care about the radio or the factory phone features...

(assuming 4 RCA speaker signal cables and remote wire are in the trunk now and Head unit is working correctly)

Remove the factory CD changer and Nav System completely...use that rack to install a 4 channel Amplifier with input feeds of RCA connection and connect remote wire...

other side of the amp now....4 channel feeds are standard wires...take the factory amp output connector to speakers (i found a diagram of which wire leads to what speaker from factory connector)...cut the connector completely and bridge each tweeter to the proper speaker in that area... so i do not have to rewire the whole car...(Tweeter will make sense on the diagram, the factory connector has its own loop/circuit for each tweeter)

i will make a diagram of this perhaps it will explain it better but just a general idea ....my only question is if i completely remove the factory CD changer and Head unit and Nav system ... will my car throw any codes or worse theft lock it or something along that nature....

and any comments suggestions are welcome!

thank you guys... possibly i will make a "how to" if all pre-planing goes well and ill put this plan into action!

i might have missed something about this setup if you see anything please do share

Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

I wouldn't bother reusing the existing speaker wire. If you're going to all that trouble you'd be better off running some thicker gauge wire, especially if you're running significantly more power than standard

Also, you're going to have issues with the single din foldout unit getting in the way of the aircon controls, and possible issues with it deploying if the gear lever is in P

Last edited by grandell; 06-07-2015 at 01:22 AM.