XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Compression issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool Compression issues

She was purring like the cat she is, a 2000 XJ8 and then just stalled. Trying to restart her didn't work and it had an unusual sound while cranking.
I had been worried about the timing chain tensioners and thought I would take a peek and so removed the cam covers to reveal tensioners that were breaking up. So I gathered all the tools and all the recommended parts,
[thanks again to blackonyx of this forum], and went about replacing chains and tensioners, water pump etc.
Have not been able to get her started yet. Thought about bore wash and tried a couple of times to add a teaspoon of oil to the cylinders and was rewarded with a more familiar sound as well as some firing as if it at least wanted to start. I went ahead and tested fuel pressure and got 38lbs.
Today I performed a compression test and these are my results:

Passenger side back to front- dry80 wet135 dry75 wet135 dry60 wet120
and dry80 wet150

Drivers side back to front- dry50 wet125 dry60 wet80 dry90 wet125
and dry60 wet95

I'm thinking of doing a leak down test next but it already seems likely I may have valve issues on drivers bank.
This all began as the post " Closing after surgery " so its been a while.
Haven't lost my mind just yet but would welcome a steady hand.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

When the car stalled originally did you have any codes? You might have had other problems besides the tensioners. I think even with the compression readings you have it should start. I made the mistake on my rebuild by putting left side cams on the right side head. I had zero compression on that entire bank. It did start but of course it ran like Crap until I undid my mistake.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Codes, but of course. There were many

[/B]
Originally Posted by BobRoy
When the car stalled originally did you have any codes? You might have had other problems besides the tensioners. I think even with the compression readings you have it should start. I made the mistake on my rebuild by putting left side cams on the right side head. I had zero compression on that entire bank. It did start but of course it ran like Crap until I undid my mistake.
P0300 random multiple
Fuel system stat bank1 bank2
Cal not ready
Calculated load 34.90 %
st fuel trim B1- 0.00%
lt fuel trim B1- 0.00%
st fuel trim B2- 0.00%
Cal misfire detected
P303 cyl 3
P306 cyl 6
P0307
P1316 undefined code