XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

custom 2.5 x-pipe exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:42 PM
ud
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default custom 2.5 x-pipe exhaust

Ok went through and did a complete new catback exhaust on the car with 2.5 in duewl pipe with a pair of magnaflow mufflers and xpipe. It was a pain to get it over the axle without it hitting, keeping it away from the gas line, away from the rear axles, and so tht if wont knock wasnt the funnest of times lol. Me and my buddy worked on it together for a few hours and next will be the 2.5 downpipes and my bigger manifolds. Debating if I want to go high flow cats or catless. I can say it sounds AMAZING and the power seems improved I cant say how much but I can say response is instant, pulls harder in lower and midrange havent gotten a chance to floor it yet. Sounds like a ferrari had sex with a mustang and this is what came to be LOL. Not quite musclecar not quite euro which being the car is jag slash ford makes sense. Anyway I will be heading to the dyno later to see the before and after cus i did a run this morning with the pos stock on and need to do one with the new one on but need it to go through the drive cycle. We also mocked up a beautiful 3.5 in inlet that will be made of thin wall steel or aluminum and go all the way to a cold box with the filter inside sealed off from the engine bay with great direct air from behind headlights.

I will take the stocker to the dyno with me and then install the new one with it still strapped down and see what the new inlet does for power, exciting times

My buddy having fun I think he was just happy we were done for the day this is normally our day off.

Attached Thumbnails custom 2.5 x-pipe exhaust-32.jpg   custom 2.5 x-pipe exhaust-33.jpg   custom 2.5 x-pipe exhaust-65.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Rlover (06-08-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Ok went through and did a complete new catback exhaust on the car with 2.5 in duewl pipe with a pair of magnaflow mufflers and xpipe. It was a pain to get it over the axle without it hitting, keeping it away from the gas line, away from the rear axles, and so tht if wont knock wasnt the funnest of times lol. Me and my buddy worked on it together for a few hours and next will be the 2.5 downpipes and my bigger manifolds. Debating if I want to go high flow cats or catless. I can say it sounds AMAZING and the power seems improved I cant say how much but I can say response is instant, pulls harder in lower and midrange havent gotten a chance to floor it yet. Sounds like a ferrari had sex with a mustang and this is what came to be LOL. Not quite musclecar not quite euro which being the car is jag slash ford makes sense. Anyway I will be heading to the dyno later to see the before and after cus i did a run this morning with the pos stock on and need to do one with the new one on but need it to go through the drive cycle. We also mocked up a beautiful 3.5 in inlet that will be made of thin wall steel or aluminum and go all the way to a cold box with the filter inside sealed off from the engine bay with great direct air from behind headlights.

I will take the stocker to the dyno with me and then install the new one with it still strapped down and see what the new inlet does for power, exciting times

My buddy having fun I think he was just happy we were done for the day this is normally our day off.

You know...these cool mods get cheaper when you make a few sets and sell them to people like me....."wink"...just sayin

...no, I am serious, can't wait to see what you come up with

Old 06-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

can you tell me what parts exactly you used on this modification? simple "English" please

Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Veteran Member

BTW, I have straight pipe set up now deleting the middle resonator ,it sounds a like a hot rod and a bit too raw. but it is not bad at all

so I want to have a more sophisticated setup now.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

so I need to know what exactly parts you used and I need to be your copy-cat,haha

thanks

Old 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM
ud

We used 2.5 mandrel bends basically we cut up a few mustand over axle bends and shaped them how we wanted. Also magnaflow mufflers in the back are the only mufflers on the car, magnaflow xpipe set back 18 incghes from cats, 4 inch stainless steel tips.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:57 PM
ud

fun fact the stock exhaust necks down to 1 7/8s over the axle LOL YIKES

Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

did you remove the CAT's as well ? The CAT's on these cars memory serves me right start right at the manifolds, 90 down and then 90 again with a straight into the prestage muffler? A properly bent pipe with a place for the 02 sensors would it add power? I like to hear the motor/blower and the Borla exhuast. the way you have taken out your prestage muffler must be insanely loud? Would like to hear a youtube video of this XJR of yours!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Rlover
A properly bent pipe with a place for the 02 sensors would it add power?
You can search for Nameless Performance cats and downpipes on this forum.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:24 AM
ud

I personally think it will add some power especially now tht everything else is opened up the stock cats are still there til I get back from the oil fields then we will put in the custom 2.5 downpipes and high flow cats. The stock cats are seriously ugly and restrictive. My car is not tht loud at all and has a very nice sporty sound if i get a chance I will get a vid and post it up, zero drone and only very loud when full throttle.

The following users liked this post:
Rlover (06-09-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I was just reading up on x-pipe installations, it states to position the x-pipe as close to the rear as possible. Why did you choose to put yours in front?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sbreeden
I was just reading up on x-pipe installations, it states to position the x-pipe as close to the rear as possible. Why did you choose to put yours in front?
Supposely the old trick of figuring out where to put the crossover is to use a wax crayon and draw lines on the exhaust tubes coming from the motor back. Apparently where the lines stop to melt you're supposed to do the crossover. It has to do with how far the exhaust pulse travels.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

You can also use spray paint and look for the scorch mark.

Some people have used a laser thermometer gun.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:50 AM
ud

acually we did the spray paint method and we put it right where it was scotching so thts what we went with.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also going to replace stock to 2.5" stainless steel with sport cats. Could you tell me how many meters straight pipes I will need and how many bent pipes I will need and in what degrees.

You only have 2 mufflers? Not to noisy only having 2? A video and a picture on the "X" would be great... Thanks!!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fitnessrx
Also going to replace stock to 2.5" stainless steel with sport cats. Could you tell me how many meters straight pipes I will need and how many bent pipes I will need and in what degrees.

You only have 2 mufflers? Not to noisy only having 2? A video and a picture on the "X" would be great... Thanks!!

I have heard XJR-0220 Exhaust and it is not for the faint of heart. It sounds like nothing I have ever heard from a Jaguar. BUT sounds awesome...He floored it with me on the phone and it was, deep "not tinny" muscle but still Jaguar. Did not have a lope like an American exhaust i.e. gagagagagagagaga, but a. bababababababababababa, gas it and it roars...

Last edited by Rlover; 06-24-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM
ud

thats pretty much it ^^^^^^^ its got a very distinctive sound but not stealthy at all

Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by adam699
Supposely the old trick of figuring out where to put the crossover is to use a wax crayon and draw lines on the exhaust tubes coming from the motor back. Apparently where the lines stop to melt you're supposed to do the crossover. It has to do with how far the exhaust pulse travels.
Help me to understand this, so at the hottiest point of the exhaust system after the cat is where the x-pipe is installed. Why?

In order to find this point, I would have to remove the mid muffler, put in straight pipes, then mark the pipe in inch increments. The section that melts the wax crayon is the point where I install the x-pipe.

Now, being it is a dual exhaust, what if one point start melting on one side than it is on other, or do I just work with one side?

It must have to be some heavy duty wax, because it going to melt where ever I mark with the crayon or which ever melts the fastest/first?

Thanks,
SGB

Old 06-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Video

Upload a video!!

Does the X-pipe work as a silencer btw...?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by fitnessrx
Upload a video!!

Does the X-pipe work as a silencer btw...?
The X-pipe do not work as a siliencer

Quick Reply: custom 2.5 x-pipe exhaust