XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cylinder Wash vs. ECU Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Have you read this? If so what are the results?

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Highlander, don't give up yet! Gus put a bug in my ear about this yesterday, and in between copious amounts of turkey and dressing etc. over the day, I pondered a bit.
I'm wondering if the car has possibly set a fault that your reader cannot see. Something that can be maddening can happen and leave a guy in the predicament you seem to have.

First things first. Considering everything both you and the car have been through, I would suggest backing up a bit and reassessing. Start by making sure you have dry cylinders and spark plugs, then do a few things in this order.

1. Be sure you have the original ECM installed, the substitution you have done may have complicated the issue. You have a 1998 with PATS security that reads the key pellet. The ECM is involved with that system and substitution won't get you anywhere unless you have the Jaguar diagnostic equipment to sync it up. Without that it will never initiate fuel injection.

2. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, reconnect and let all the systems re-initialize properly.

3. With the car doors etc. all closed, lock the car with the key to be sure the security system locks and arms correctly with the one chirp. Wait a minute and make sure nothing out of the ordinary occurs, then unlock the car and disarm the security system. If all that seems OK, we are confident the security system is not interrupting fuel injection for any reason.

4. Enter the car and key to ignition on ONLY. Look at the shifter and see if the "P" for park is illuminated. If it is not, that might be pay dirt. If it is lit, that at least tells us the shifter is probably OK.

5. Press the brake pedal and see if the shifter will move from park, if it does, march through all the gear positions and check the alignment of the cable detents to the physical notches in the shift gate. If the detents don't match up really close, that tells us something. If they do seem to align OK, flip the shifter back up to Park sort of forcefully.

6. Press the accelerator pedal to about 3/4 travel and give it a crank and hold it for up to 20 seconds.

Let us know the results and what if any action you got from the engine in the way of sounding like it's attempting to fire.

What I'm wondering about is the possibility of a failure in the trans rotary switch. There is a failure mode where it doesn't "agree" with the switching in the shifter, and the result is a car that cranks, but the ECM never initiates fueling or sometimes ignition. This failure can set faults P1516 or P1517, which are corporate codes and many times not recognized by generic scan tools. Once in a while a P0706 will set, but not always. My understanding is that this business is another safeguard against a car starting when not in park or neutral. It protects against a shifter being in Park, which would allow starting, and a trans actually being in gear during a start. It's just another thing that they can do with a multiplexed car, without adding more "stuff" to do it.

Certainly worth a try.

Good luck!

Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Have you read this? If so what are the results?
Please click the video link in post #78 and watch them. Let me know what you think of the way it's running along with the code it's now (finally?) throwing.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I was unable to open any of the videos. I got the photo open but it was the size of my house. I will try again.

Originally Posted by Highlander64
Please click the video link in post #78 and watch them. Let me know what you think of the way it's running along with the code it's now (finally?) throwing.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
I was unable to open any of the videos. I got the photo open but it was the size of my house. I will try again.
Sorry about that... the videos and photo were taken on an iphone and uploaded directly. I'll see about editing them down in size. Eager to hear feedback and thoughts on where to go next with this thing...

Old 11-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Can you post them to Youtube?

Originally Posted by Highlander64
Sorry about that... the videos and photo were taken on an iphone and uploaded directly. I'll see about editing them down in size. Eager to hear feedback and thoughts on where to go next with this thing...

Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Can you post them to Youtube?
Doing so now.

Last edited by Highlander64; 11-24-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:08 PM

Videos at cprofomogo - YouTube

Sorry for portrait orientation. Forgot to turn the phone for wide screen video.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

My knee jerk reaction is that it sounds like the timing is off. Have you checked the chains and or tensioners?

Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

That's more than a knee jerk. The poor idle and the codes match.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
My knee jerk reaction is that it sounds like the timing is off. Have you checked the chains and or tensioners?
No. Haven't torn into the engine. It will idle smoothly, start smoothly, and stall as soon as it's given any gas. Then it starts like this. Shut it off, and restart and it'll run smoothly.

Of course now that I performed the battery cable touch together ECU reset, it won't start at all again.

Bizarre that so many things could fail at one time. CKPS was definitely bad. Plugs were nasty and there was a cylinder wash condition. Fuel filter was definitely restricted. Blowing the fuel line out backwards cleared some silt. Then it sputtered to life on ether shots until it had the heat into the engine enough to run as seen in the videos. And it FINALLY threw the P1336 code.

So yes, it seems like the timing is off... which would have been nice to know weeks ago. At least nothing is crashing inside the engine.

Which leads to the next questions... cam position sensor or open up the top end? How will I tell if the chain(s) jumped a tooth or more? What are the marks to show proper timing?

Last edited by Highlander64; 11-24-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Planning to tackle the tensioners. Which spark plug seals, and where on the engine do I find the number to tell?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
The following users liked this post:
Highlander64 (12-02-2012)