XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Details on Win7 64 bit new install method & new JTIS21 XJ series archive

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

I have revised and update all the possible variations of the instructions for the JTIS (downloads, extraction, Operating systems, installation, how to use the software, etc).

Look at post# 19.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 07-25-2013 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Anybody know if this will work with Windows 8? Need to get a new computer.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Yes it should work with a windows 8 64 bit PC using the info in this PDF (I do not have a windows 8 PC to test it):

Should be the same installation as windows 7 64 bit (except for Help system software):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe6jkw5py3...bit%20v1.6.pdf

You will have to download and use this Help program for windows 8 in place of the windows 7 version.
Here is the weblink to Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows 8 Microsoft:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wtvz3ux3s...917607-x64.msu

Send a private message to Forum member 2000caxk8 to see if he was successful with his install of the JTIS21 software on his windows 8 PC:

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - View Profile: 2000CAXK8

Jim Lombardi

The following 2 users liked this post by jimlombardi:
dc4prez (02-10-2014), TreVoRTasmin (07-22-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

See post #19 on What you need to know before downloading and installing the JTIS21 software
Here is the direct weblink to post# 19

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...98/#post696782

Last edited by jimlombardi; 07-23-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Big hug to all you guys who made this work. - It is on my windows 8 laptop 64 sys
To anyone who is having troubles - follow the instructions exactly. It took me a while to get ownership of DAO folder,
I have copies of DAO350.dll in my c:\> system files, also in the JTIS21 directory, I don't care which file the program uses.
Windows 7 screenshots are slightly different so you need to think a bit about syntax.
Another group hug for he electronic Parts catalogue, it works a treat, I can now buy from EBAY with confidence

Last edited by dc4prez; 02-10-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Did you create a new DAO folder on your C drive (C:\DAO)?
If you did, then I wonder why windows 8 did not give all rights to the C:\DAO folder??

That is why forum member Plums mentioned to me that if you create a new folder then windows operating systems give you full rights to that folder.

Jim Lombardi

Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Jim,
I was getting error messages, so I searched them on M/S site, which suggested download windows 8.1 --- Not me, I came across a publisher of DAO350.dll, I read his answers to other peoples questions, basically create a DAO directory in "C" operating system, as well as the set up directory, - having done this, I then went to your instructions, windows 8 is slightly different in appearance, but the commands are all there
Thanks again, it works perfectly.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Would this contain information for an 07 XJR? It seems like it only goes up to 2006

Old 02-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Your 2007 XJR is a X358 Jaguar model type, the 2004 thru 2006 XJR are X350 model type.

I looked at Jagdocs.com website to see if they offered the Jaguar workshop manual PDF download for the X358 and found out that their manual covers 2004 thru 2009 Jaguar XJ series (X350 and apparently includes X358).

Sounds like since the JTIS21 covers 2004 XJ (X350) that maybe the procedures are the same for the 2005 thru 2009 XJ years???

I checked jagbits.com and the same throttle body part number is for 2004 thru 2008.

You might just want to purchase the 2004 thru 2009 shop manual PDF file download from Jagdocs.com for $12 (no software installation needed and runs on any PC operating system).

Jim Lombardi

The following users liked this post:
KarmaPolice (02-12-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

I have to admit I a amazed and thankful for your efforts to get this up and running. I played around for quite a while trying to get it to work on my W7/64bit machine as it was the newest and most powerful.

But In the end I found it was far easier to just pull out an old laptop that was running XP and install Jaguar JTIS, LandRover RAVE, and old version of my Ford s/w for my F150. It also has wifi so I can take it to the car and run Mitchell Pro Demand.

If I need to get access on the road I've actually used my iPhone5 as a hotspot for my iPad2 and used jump-desktop to remote in to my XP laptop that is on my toolbox at work to access JTIS. Its slow but it worked.

Honestly though the old XP machine does a fine job of running it since thats all it does and since its portable I can bring it to the car and not worry about anything happening as its essentially a $35 laptop at this point.

Again thanks for your efforts

Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windows 7 and other oddities: Anyone having trouble getting DAO350 to register take note, Jim is not kidding about running the cmd.exe as administrator. As all useful things in life I learned the hard way. I thought WTF, I AM the administrator on this machine so went ahead and banged my head against the wall for 1/2 an hour.
As soon as the smart switch got turned on and did it the way JIM SAID, poop through a goose and we're flying. Thanks Jim.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't get it to work!

Been at this way too long... Thought I've followed it to the T. Can't register the DAO. 64 bit Windows 8.1
Thanks for NY HELP!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Porsche407

Forum member GGG found this "free" software and coming from a Romanian website called EMSA:

Information I received by Private Messaging from GGG:

register DLL Tool in a link from [Update Note: go to http://www.thewindowsclub.com/register-dll-file-windows

instead of the Windows 8 | 7 Tips, Tricks, Help, Support, Downloads, Features and go down to 4th Bold heading on page Emsa Register DLL Freeware - then use:

Multipurpose DLL Information & Registration Tool e-systems.ro/register_dll_tool.htm

Update Note by Jim Lombardi: I added this JPEG that shows the webpage image and other information that you will need:

weblink to download page is:
Multipurpose DLL Information & Registration Tool e-systems.ro/register_dll_tool.htm

End of Jim Lombardi Update Note

I'm always dubious about "free" software and coming from a Romanian website didn't increase my confidence! However, I'm just testing this Windows 8.1 laptop and can easily format the disk and reinstall Windows if necessary.

EMSA installed DAO350.DLL without any problems. I then completed JTIS setup and it is now installed and working on my laptop.

I've now given JTIS and JEPC a good workout on my Windows 8.1 laptop for the last two weeks. They have both proved as reliable as the Windows7, Vista and XP Pro installs I'd used on earlier PC's and laptops.

My main concern was the free Romanian DLL Registration Tool but this has had no ill effects. With DAO350.DLL registered, I was then able to uninstall the EMSA tool cleanly through 'Programs and Features'.

End of Private Messages from GGG

Thanks to GGG for providing the information for workaround on registering DLL in windows 8.1.

Jim Lombardi

Attached Thumbnails Details on Win7 64 bit new install method & new JTIS21 XJ series archive-emsa-register-dll-tool-info.jpg  

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-21-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been trying for the past hour to download these files from MediaFire. Everytime I click the download link, it just spins. Eventually, it prompts me to "repair download". I click that link. It takes me back to the download page again, and same thing happens.

I'm able to download the PDF files fine, but the EXE and RAR files won't download.

Does no one have these hosted on a different file sharing site? This is really frustrating.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I found Jim's DropBox hosted files in a reply to this thread. Jim, please update your main post to include these. MediaFire is complete crap. Dropbox is much much better.

Also, why don't these forums offer a means of editing one's post?

Old 11-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I tried and tried to get the JTIS working under Windows 7 64 bit, and failed.

Then I bought a Windows XP laptop on Ebay for $100. JTIS worked right away, and now I can take the laptop out to the garage / drive when working on the Jag. Works for me!

Old 11-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

Mark SF
Just need to look at post#19 for detailed instructions of installing JTIS21 software. It covers all versions of windows operating systems (windows 7 64 bit, windows 7 32 bit, windows xp 64 bit, window xp 32 bit, windows 8 and windows 8.1).

The instructions have step by step information with screen shots of each step.

Large number of our forum members have successfully completed the installation of windows 7 64 bit PCs.

Jim Lombardi

Old 11-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loaded JTIS for 64 bit Win 7 but failed to open some file views

Thanks for the information.

However I have encountered a problem after following all the steps in Professors Plums PDF guide to load JTIS into a 64 bit OS with Windows 7 Home Premium, which I hope you can help me with, please. I think it is a paths / pointer issue or failure to run the second setup.exe file in Disk 1 folder.

When click Start|All programmes | JTIS viewer opens OK. When I click on top icons for Service and select series XJ and year from the pop up, its works fine.

However when I click on DTC icon or other icons and frlom the pop up select XJ series and year it shows codes B,C, P and U and the underlying menu options for ABS system shown in blue font on the LHS of the viewer as expected, but when I then try to select one of them it fails to open it up and instead jumps to opening Adobi Reader with a pop up error message 'File cannot be found'.

How to resolve
Should I delete all and try to re-install
Should I look at startup.txt file or JTTIS.INI contents to see if they are correct

Can you advise me please

One thing I did not manage to run successfully was the DAO35\Disk \Setup.exe 47kb file. Instead I got a pop error message file is incompatible with version of windows in use.
Do I need to run the Disk 1\Setup.exe file.
I have tied Trouble shooting the files compatibility setting in its properties but with it still would not open even as administrator. Note PC has already got several MS Windows Service packs, including XP (Service pack 3), XP (Service pack 2), Windows 7, vista, Windows NT, etc. Do you think I should try to locate and load another MS Service pack from the MS site that suits this Setup.exe file. Could you advise which one.

Just to recap I had earlier followed all the JTIS new steps, which included:
Removed old JTIS for XJ including JJTIS.INI files using Revo Unistaller Pro
Downloaded JTIS 21 parts 1, 2 and 3 onto PC 64 bit OS with Windows 7 Home Premium.
(Had to Cancel saving to a CD for the end of part 1 upload as I did have a spare CD or USB stick with this amount of GBs to hand, but I checked all files got loaded on library folder which I call JTIS 21). Why isn't the RAR option available for pert 1 like it is for part 2 and 3?.
Download JTTIS installation instructions PDFs
Download DAO350.Dll to C:\.....DOA directory after giving myself ownership rights over Trusted installer, i.e Microsoft.
Registered DOA350 file via Command prompt CMD.exe to Windows Registry.
Ran XP Fit file from JTIS 21 library folder
Also as an extra step I added XP virtual machine option from the MS site and created new C system folder in case this helped in using this 32 bit FILE version of JTIS.
Uploaded MS help file and saved in JTIS 21 library folder

Read JTIS instructions Readme.txt and ran main SETUP.EXE from JTIS 21 directory, it when through ok and I selected 'rebooted PC'.

Restarted PC and clicked on Start|All programmes|JTIS to open up the viewer which worked to an extent, but not all,

DTC icon opened up, gave pop up memu of XJ series and car year option
(so think went into GBnonv8DTC or DTCstartup files held in the Data|DNCEN subfolder) but then
stopped finding the underlying PDF sub files in that same folder such as the relevant car details.

Do you think this paths pointer problem is fixable by looking at what entered in the Start up txt or JJTIS.ini file or do you think I need to do a full re-install.

Any advice

Last edited by KenXJ; 11-12-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

Yes, I had a similar problem. That's the point where I gave up and bought the XP laptop. It would still be nice to get it working on the desktop, though.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ken
The second setup.exe is run in the JTIS21 folder - right click to run as administator (to run it and install the software.)

You are not supposed to run a second setup.exe from Disk1 (that setup.exe is for windows XP 32 bit operating system).

Jim Lombardi

Quick Reply: Details on Win7 64 bit new install method & new JTIS21 XJ series archive