XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Differences Between XJR & XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Mr. vonnbunn:
Please do not buy an X-308 XJR. If you are not going to do research about it, and you are not going to work on it yourself or hire the work out wiith personal knowledge of the car, then you will become dissatisfied with your purchase very quickly.

BTW, Quad has regularly helped folks get enjoynment from their car by making suggestions here based on his technical knowledge. He gets no reward from that except the payback of appreciation by others and some help on his problems when he might need it. Clearly, neither one is coming from you.
Thank you, I will head to your advice. I'm serious!

Dann

Old 05-17-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Hi Dann,

Buy a 2004 or newer XJ- that should fit the bill. (pass on the R as it has a stiffer ride)
Thank you very much. I can only learn by asking. I have the name and number of a qualified Jaguar privately owned shop, and I intend on listening and using him for the work to be done on my car whenever I get one.
Thanks again, this was my main concern,

Thank you,

Dann

Old 05-17-2013, 11:09 AM

Dan:
Ok, lets start anew. The X-308, SC, called the XJR is the "sport" model of the X-308 called the XJ8. It has a much harsher suspension, it accelerates more quickly, it comes with low profile tires. It has different seats, with, I beleive firmer bolsters. The interior is somewhat poorly changed to look more like a performance car rather than a luxury sedan by painting the wood veneir panels black. There is a variation called the "Super XJ8" which has, I believe, the exact interior of the XJ8, however I have never actually sat in one.

I own two XJRs and one XJ8 and have logged many miles (over 100,000) in each, so I can at least offer a valid personal opinion.

The XJ8 NA is right for my wife. Being a MY 2002, it has the post Nikasil engine, the upgraded chains and tensioners from the factory, and a ride and look she likes. The XJR is more right for me, in that I appreciate more road feel, am known to goose the throttle a lil more than occaisonally, and would like to think that I am somewhat of a car afficianado.

None of the cars, now more than ten years old are particularly trouble free. Niggly electrical faults plague them, the paint is either showing some age or scares me that it will soon. I am an electrical controls engineer, and I own three kinds of scanners, including two "factory" scanners, and I have little problem diagnosing problems myself. However, even a pretty good independant auto tech will likely have some challenges troubleshooting restricted performance without codes, which is too common, problems with the ABS motor connector, intermittent knock sensor issues, or a host of other known and often reported problems.

Now, sir, many people here will dispute what I say, but I have reported facts only in the paragraph above. They report "no problems" with their car, then you look back and realize they have owned it for 6 months and put 1000 miles on it. I have owned my XJ8 for 11 years and put 180,000 miles on it. My two XJRs have a total of 400,000 miles between the two, and NO, the problems did not just happen after the high mileage. I have records on one of the XJRs that show a total of at least $10,000 worth of repairs, after warranty and before I owned it. BTW, I beleive there is no appreciable difference in reliabilty between the two models. Sure the XJR has a SC,but it has no VVTs.

So, if you know a good independent mechanic you trust, with Jaguar X-308 experience and the proper scanner software, and you budget about $1000. per 10k to 15 k miles for repars, and you really like the ride of the XJR, surely go for it. However, I agree with Mr. Snyder that you would probably be better off with the newer XJ8, post 2003 model. It will be newer, has less known engine trouble and is plenty fast and sporty.

My comments about doing the work yourself were only in light of the expense of using a Jaguar experienced mechanic for an older car with a less than steller relaibility reputation. The mechanics rates for Jaguars are higher, the locally bought parts prices are higher, and the availability of knowledgable technicians is lower for these cars than the other luxury cars you mentioned.

BTW, nothing in my post should be construed to mean Ido not like my Jag- U- Wahs. I am about to plunk down some serious coin and buy a one year old XFR.
Thank you so much for your reply. I certainly understand what you mean. I also again, apologize for my RUDE approach the other day. I don't drink, so it wasn't that. Anyway, as always, people like me can get off on the wrong foot, as I did.
Thank you and the others for your kindly appreciated advice and giving me a second chance! I am understanding more each day.

Thank you,

Dann

Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
And from my perspective, Vonbunn, I would prefer an XJR, due to its supercharger based higher performance, stiffer suspension and concomitant improved handling... I like speed. I do, however, have an XJ8 and am pretty darn happy with all of the above criteria even though they are slightly bettered by the R version.

The one MAJOR advantage I can state RE: the XJR is the Mercedes transmission vs. the ZF that comes in the XJ8 - the ZF is famous for having a near fatal A drum failure at around 80,000 miles - usually costing thousands to repair. The R's Merc tranny has no similar issues.

Bottom line - if you're looking for comfort and luxury, the XJ8 is perfect. If you want more performance while not scrimping on the luxury (but losing just a bit of comfort) then the XJR gives you that extra 90 HP kick and the improved handling. Either way, the XJ series is a joy to drive and own as long as you are aware and tolerant of their idiosyncrasies.

RE the primary issues - I have found the majority to be related to electronics/connections and, as an electrical engineer, I have no trouble finding and fixing this kind of problem. SO, as far as I'm concerned, my XJ has been pretty trouble free since I got it 4 years ago with the dead tranny from my elderly father. However, he had spent literally thousands on issues in which I would have cleaned some contacts, yet the dealer ended up replacing components, instead... I have needed to replace nothing since.

My absolute bottom line? I am actively looking for a good deal on an XK8 (so I can have a sporty Jag) and if I somehow lost my XJ, I would go find another.

BTW, I also drive a Ford Explorer, a Winnebago to tow quads to the desert, and my CanAm Spyder (three wheeler) for summer riding fun when its too hot in the desert for quadding.

Good enough Reader's Digest condensed answer? Would have done it in the beginning if you had asked nice, LOL.
Thank you Sir,
You don't know how much I appreciate your advice and your knowledgeable opinion. I can understand how one member has said you have helped many members with their questions and have never ask or received anything in return. Your knowledge is very apparent in your experience and expression. I was in civil engineering myself and worked in the road construction, paving business during my career. I can not perform any worthwhile manual work, due to health reasons, and will rely on a good private Shop of reputation. I've always considered electricity as magic, never quite understood it. Again, Sir I am deeply sorry for my obstinate attitude the other day. I too used to ride motor cycles, (Harleys) I always wanted to try that Can Am. I had to put a trike kit on my Harley after my strokes and it totally ruined it for me. I can see how the two up front wheels would make a considerable better riding effect.
Remember the old I think they were Morris three wheels from England back in the 50-60s ? They had it right way back then.
Thank you again, and I will listen and learn from masters like you. I really feel so much better that you took the time to respond to me so kindly!

Dann Bunn

Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

On YouTube, there is an extremely good video comparing a 2003" X JR and a BMW V8.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

all I can say in one sentence is they are very cars under the skin mechanically.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent661983
all I can say in one sentence is they are very cars under the skin mechanically.
What does that mean? The BMW and the XJR are mechanically the same cars? Or the XJ8 and the XJR are the same? I take exception to either. The XJ8 and the XJR are the same skin, but different under the skin. Read the differences in the previous posts.!

Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent661983
all I can say in one sentence is they are very [different] cars under the skin mechanically.
What does that mean? The BMW and the XJR are mechanically the same cars? Or the XJ8 and the XJR are the same? I take exception to either. The XJ8 and the XJR are the same skin, but different under the skin. Read the differences in the previous posts.!
I think he accidentally left out the word "different" after very... It makes sense with it included, and agrees with your statement.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:21 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Dann - the advantage, for me, of the CanAm Spyder is that it rides on the street a lot like a quad does in the desert... so I don't have to spend much time relearning my 'muscle memory' to ride both safely. I always found that when switching between a quad and a motorcycle that riding techniques (especially counter steering on a bike) were so different that a good part of my ride was taken up just getting used to the changes again. The first time I saw a Spyder I knew I had to have one and I have not lost that feeling. It's similar to my feelings for my XJ8 - I never want to be without it.

With the Spyder, I get on and ride it as second nature. It doesn't ride exactly like a bike, and I'm glad.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 05-18-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bump. Are you guys sure the XJ8 sport doesn't share its suspension with the xjr? I see alot of them with the same 18" penta wheels I see on R's and they look like the have the same exact ride height as the R and of course the same interior.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TN8Shooter
I am new to the Jaguar scene and have been lucky enough to purchase a 2000 XJR. I've tried to find the differences between the XJR and XJ8's, but so far it appears the witty Brits just slapped a blower on the "R" and called it a day.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of the best cars I've owned. I'm just trying to figure out it's history.
I'm a ''witty Brit'' and the XJR is by far the best one to have in my opinion. I have had about 15 XJ's and when I finally got the XJR instead of the XJ8 or XJ6 the XJR has always been my favourite one!

The drive is different and the power is outstanding - Simply the best!!

The following users liked this post:
1stJ (01-31-2015)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:23 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Crushercurtis
bump. Are you guys sure the XJ8 sport doesn't share its suspension with the xjr? I see alot of them with the same 18" penta wheels I see on R's and they look like the have the same exact ride height as the R and of course the same interior.
Yes, the xj8 sport, at least the us specs made only 2 years for 02 and 03 have the same suspension and mostly same interior than the xjr

Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 AM

Dan:
Ok, lets start anew. The X-308, SC, called the XJR is the "sport" model of the X-308 called the XJ8. It has a much harsher suspension, it accelerates more quickly, it comes with low profile tires. It has different seats, with, I beleive firmer bolsters. The interior is somewhat poorly changed to look more like a performance car rather than a luxury sedan by painting the wood veneir panels black. There is a variation called the "Super XJ8" which has, I believe, the exact interior of the XJ8, however I have never actually sat in one.

I own two XJRs and one XJ8 and have logged many miles (over 100,000) in each, so I can at least offer a valid personal opinion.

The XJ8 NA is right for my wife. Being a MY 2002, it has the post Nikasil engine, the upgraded chains and tensioners from the factory, and a ride and look she likes. The XJR is more right for me, in that I appreciate more road feel, am known to goose the throttle a lil more than occaisonally, and would like to think that I am somewhat of a car afficianado.

None of the cars, now more than ten years old are particularly trouble free. Niggly electrical faults plague them, the paint is either showing some age or scares me that it will soon. I am an electrical controls engineer, and I own three kinds of scanners, including two "factory" scanners, and I have little problem diagnosing problems myself. However, even a pretty good independant auto tech will likely have some challenges troubleshooting restricted performance without codes, which is too common, problems with the ABS motor connector, intermittent knock sensor issues, or a host of other known and often reported problems.

Now, sir, many people here will dispute what I say, but I have reported facts only in the paragraph above. They report "no problems" with their car, then you look back and realize they have owned it for 6 months and put 1000 miles on it. I have owned my XJ8 for 11 years and put 180,000 miles on it. My two XJRs have a total of 400,000 miles between the two, and NO, the problems did not just happen after the high mileage. I have records on one of the XJRs that show a total of at least $10,000 worth of repairs, after warranty and before I owned it. BTW, I beleive there is no appreciable difference in reliabilty between the two models. Sure the XJR has a SC,but it has no VVTs.

So, if you know a good independent mechanic you trust, with Jaguar X-308 experience and the proper scanner software, and you budget about $1000. per 10k to 15 k miles for repars, and you really like the ride of the XJR, surely go for it. However, I agree with Mr. Snyder that you would probably be better off with the newer XJ8, post 2003 model. It will be newer, has less known engine trouble and is plenty fast and sporty.

My comments about doing the work yourself were only in light of the expense of using a Jaguar experienced mechanic for an older car with a less than steller relaibility reputation. The mechanics rates for Jaguars are higher, the locally bought parts prices are higher, and the availability of knowledgable technicians is lower for these cars than the other luxury cars you mentioned.

BTW, nothing in my post should be construed to mean Ido not like my Jag- U- Wahs. I am about to plunk down some serious coin and buy a one year old XFR.
Thank you very much. You have given me an uplifting enlightenment!
You are very kind to have taken the time to do this,

Dann

Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by luc
Yes, the xj8 sport, at least the us specs made only 2 years for 02 and 03 have the same suspension and mostly same interior than the xjr
Do you know if they have the same brakes as well?

Old 06-06-2014, 11:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone mentioned in this thread that XJR's have backup sensors. I take it that didn't start until the later years? My 99 doesn't have them. Unless they're VERY discrete.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Rob, I'm not sure what year the sensors appeared (I should though as I sold Jags back in the late 90's) but my 2001 did have them.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:45 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay, here's a non-technical question from a non-technical Jag owner - so if anyone wants to show how superior he is and scoff at my ignorance, well fine, go right ahead. Any hint of an insult and I just won't come back, end of story.

I want to install a 1 din head unit in my 1998 XJR, and my local audio installer claims to be able to do it, provided I get hold of the necessary dash panel adaptor (I live in Australia). I've found one or two on the net, but they all seem to be for the XJ8. I emailed one supplier and asked if it would fit my car and got a resounding 'NO'.

So, can anyone tell me, is the centre dash of the XJR really different to that of the XJ8, or was this guy just guessing?

All useful comments will be most welcome.

Thanks, Dave

Old 11-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

My, my you are thin skinned!

The following users liked this post:
badger2196 (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 02:54 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Dave,
This is what you're looking for
Jaguar Radio Dash Kit XJ8 XJR Faceplate Stereo Installation - Dashboard Installation Kits

A helpful tip for the future, the search feature here will return many, many results, with plenty of information on almost anything you could want to know... Sometimes it can feel like you're herding cats, but more often than not, you'll find the info you need.

Also, the above post was half way down the second page of topics in this subforum, so sometimes just browsing through a couple of pages can be a good start as well.

As for the adaptor... all X308 XJ's have the same stereo housing. There are differences between the standard system and the premium, and it would pay to know which one you have before you get started, because the premium one can complicate things with the factory amp.

And then, of course, whether you think it looks horrific is another matter altogether...

Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

If it's just the lack of aux input that's the problem, how about this as a solution :

Jaguar Cassette Radio with AUX [JA003] : Factory Radio Service, Car Factory Radio Services

Thinking of upgrading mine. Has anyone else tried it?

The following 3 users liked this post by Mark SF:
garytalda (01-13-2015), rocklandjag (11-04-2014), smith356 (11-05-2014)

Quick Reply: Differences Between XJR & XJ8