XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

drivers window and sunroof malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did the hard reset the key was off for the whole procedure and it fixed the window and sunroof but the engine initially ran at higher rpms. This disappeared on its own. So maybe follow the detailed key instructions outlined above. I hope I didn't screw up something else.....
M

Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Allen
When I did the hard reset the key was off for the whole procedure and it fixed the window and sunroof but the engine initially ran at higher rpms. This disappeared on its own. So maybe follow the detailed key instructions outlined above. I hope I didn't screw up something else.....
M
That will happen either way. The higher than usual idle, and speed hunting is the throttle body calibration that happens on any reset. You should idle for ten minutes before shutting down so that the throttle adaptation can be written into the ECM tables.

The "key on" part is probably not strictly necessary as it has never been mentioned by any of the techs as being part of a reset.

In fact, having the key on can lead to problems if one forgets to go key off before reattaching the battery cable.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

I've also done it with key on and key off, but I had read somewhere on these threads that if the key is off, it will not complete the circuit through ALL of the computers, etc... So from then on, I've done it with Key On. I don't know either way, but it kinda makes sense.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:39 PM

This worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip. Just executed about 10 minutes ago on my 1999 Vanden Plas.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If drivers window wont go down and sunroof closes at will. Pull fuse #15 from drivers side rear heel board and reinsert. This resets the drivers door control module.

The following 3 users liked this post by jonpalley:
erick_151 (03-30-2015), haroldleggett (12-27-2018), King Charles (10-06-2015)
Old 10-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1998 xj8 base sedan. Just finished installing timing chains, tensioners and everything else in front of the engine yesterday.
Today I wanted to put the hood on and be done with it. However.... when I put the hood on and was still adjusting I closed it all the way.
When I released the hood the drivers side released but the passenger side did not. I checked cables and made myself an access hole on the passenger side. I see the cable is fine and I have tried to mover every lever in there to no avail.
Also, restricted performance showed up on the dash.
Does the hood/bonnet have a security lock on it?

Old 11-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Thats a shame about your dealer -- the one I use in NJ is very nice. The parts guys are very helpful.

And the sunroof will reverse if it is not lubed or the wrong lubed is used - the motor has force control.

I still would be afraid to touch that ground to the battery

Some of that stuff still says Lukas
As long as you disconnect the positive and negative cables you are going to be fine. Touch the ground cable to the positive post once that is done and it is problem solved.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a window issue yesterday and had to drive the car (99 Vdp) home with both front windows down which did not make the mrs happy, did a hard boot soon as it got home and everything works fine now, also did not have any issues with the radio needing codes however, there is now a 10 mm wrench in the glove box so if this happens again I won't have to drive it home to cure it. Big thanks to everyone who posted info on here about this issue,,

The following users liked this post:
haroldleggett (12-27-2018)
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

[ there is now a 10 mm wrench in the glove box ,[/QUOTE]

You don't have a full set of tools in the car? That takes guts!

Old 12-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by InjPerf
As long as you disconnect the positive and negative cables you are going to be fine. Touch the ground cable to the positive post once that is done and it is problem solved.
Please read post #20 again. The positive battery cable remains connected during the hard reset procedure.
Regards,
Retro

Old 01-03-2015, 09:48 PM

I pulled the negative off the battery for 10 minutes and reconnected and fixed the same problem you had

Old 02-18-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonpalley
If drivers window wont go down and sunroof closes at will. Pull fuse #15 from drivers side rear heel board and reinsert. This resets the drivers door control module.
Thanks very much, Jon!!

Old 02-20-2015, 02:00 PM

2 days later the driver's window is not opening. Sunroof is fine. Guess I will have to do hard reset?

Any other ideas what it could be?

Some of my interior lights shut off when I use my right turn signal. But nothing goes off when using the left turn signal.

Last edited by Paulpop72; 02-20-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

So, I did this little trick with my 2000 VDP, whilst I was holding the ground cable to the positive terminal, the car was making some odd noises that kinda concerned me, and there was a tiny little park when I pulled the ground off the positive terminal. Not sure if this is suppose to happen, car was off, key was in my pocket, this resolved all electrical problems I was having, but when I started the car, I noticed the car was shaking a little bit, could have been from higher RPM not sure though, I didn't may much attention, but it sounded like it was upset with me when I let it idle for a minute, not sure if that is supposed to happen or if something else is wrong?

But the other issue I had was the boot release on the fob would not open the boot, after preforming this reset that was fine, window was good, and sunroof worked. Will have to wait until morning to drive it around.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up 1 minute solution

Originally Posted by jonpalley

After taking off the door panel for an exterior handle job, the driver's window and sun roof would no longer open. Probably due to having to pull the control module plug,...

This worked great for me and took mere seconds! Thanks!

Old 05-06-2015, 05:45 AM

Nice work guys. I have been in the auto repair industry with Subaru for most of my life. My '00 VDP is my first Jag. I will try the re-set as I have the no driver window/sunroof closes issue as well. Odd quirks like this are something someone not familiar with a certain brand/model needs to know. (guess I will return the window motor I ordered on Ebay! LOL)

Removing the battery cable for an extended time or touching the cable to the other terminal is a common practice on any computerized vehicle. The modules often have capacitors to keep them alive with out battery power. touching the cables discharges the capacitors allowing a reset to defaults.
your engine/trans has adaptive learning. Different behavior during a re-learn is normal. This is a safe procedure. I will post if it fixes my issue. (I have no doubt it will after reviewing the posts.)

Great resource! Thank you all.

Sean S.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Hmm I made no correlation to the sunroof closing on it's own & my driver's window being non-operable, but I had done the fuse 15 on back heel board box with success earlier. So I anticipate both being back to normal tomm. if not hard set it is !

Old 11-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Default Hard Boot

Okay,
I will give you and update to the hard boot my passenger front window drags slowly about an d in from the top at closing. And the sunroof is acting similar. At first I thought the cable needed greasing but I will do the hard boot and see what is going on there. Have to repair the ABS box first. Will get back ASAP.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Drivers window and sunroof malfunction

I've used this hard-boot method twice now and it's worked both times. I don't know why it's happening, but I do know what happens just before the malfunction. My wife's key fob wasn't working and she would unlock the door with her key, manually. For whatever reason, when the key is used to unlock my '98 XJ8 VDP, I get unresponsive driver's door window control and the sunroof will not stay closed. The first time this happened, I came straight to this board and found this thread. Talk about relief! Thanks for this information!

(I have not used the "ignition ON" condition in performing the hard-boot's and everything worked okay. I may try it though, if there ever is a next time.)

firstchoice

Old 03-08-2016, 03:31 PM
Default 1998 xjr malfunction drivers window and sunroof

Greetings,

The drivers window will not roll down, and the sunroof will not stay open. After a hard reset- battery cables removed from battery, cables and then shorted together repairs the problem only temp for a few hours. I have now hard reset twice.... Any ideas how to permanently resolve malfunctions?
Note: I could never manually lock my doors before this issue. Now the doors will lock just fine manually from outside.

Last edited by Tbear1165; 03-08-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Quick Reply: drivers window and sunroof malfunction