XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Finally stopped that random driver's seat movement!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Finally stopped that random driver's seat movement!

Whenever I got into my 2000 VdP I found that the driver's seat had mysteriously moved from the position it was last set to, which meant that I would have to remember to press Memory 1 every time I got into the car (or else try and contort my 6' 3" 210lb frame somehow).

I've read several threads about the seat position changing and the potential wear and tear on the seat motors just to get the seat back to where it was last time the car was driven. Some threads suggested deactivating the exit/entry assist by switching the small knob next to the steering column adjust to the 'off' position. I did this a while ago but it made not difference i.e. the seat kept on changing position (even though the steering column did not).

Well, I finally cured this by programming my preferred seat position into ALL 3 memory settings and now when I get into the car the seat has stayed in the position that I left it!

Don't ask me why it worked - I don't understand the logic. Perhaps the seat is programmed to revert to memory 2 or memory 3 or something.

Anyways, it's nice to no longer have to remember to push the Memory 1 button while half squeezed into the car :-)

Cheers,

Steve.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

hey, whatever works! You sure showed that car who was boss, didnt you?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this advice comes too late since you already remedied the problem, but did you ever reset the programming of your keyfob to match poition number one? It sounds like you may have had the keyfob programmed to one of the other settings ( 2 or 3 ) instead of number 1. So everytime you used the remote to unlock the door, it triggered the settings for a different memory setting.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks White Cat - I did not know that. Armed with that information I can free up the 2 memory positions :-)

Cheers,

Steve.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White Cat
I know this advice comes too late since you already remedied the problem, but did you ever reset the programming of your keyfob to match poition number one? It sounds like you may have had the keyfob programmed to one of the other settings ( 2 or 3 ) instead of number 1. So everytime you used the remote to unlock the door, it triggered the settings for a different memory setting.
How do I reset the remote to do that? The exact same thing happened to me today after getting a new remote. Thanks

Old 03-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by newuser
How do I reset the remote to do that? The exact same thing happened to me today after getting a new remote. Thanks
1. Set your Seat, Steering Wheel, and Mirror Positions.

2. Save the settings to your preferred number (1-2-3), you will hear a beep.

3. Within a couple seconds, press the lock or unlock button on your keyfob, you will hear a beep (If not, start at step 2 again and press keyfob button a little quicker). This sets the keyfob to the number you just selected. You can set another keyfob to another seat position if desired.

My wife and I use different keyfobs, so when we each unlock the car, all these settings are ready for us when we enter.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
1. Set your Seat, Steering Wheel, and Mirror Positions.

2. Save the settings to your preferred number (1-2-3), you will hear a beep.

3. Within a couple seconds, press the lock or unlock button on your keyfob, you will hear a beep (If not, start at step 2 again and press keyfob button a little quicker). This sets the keyfob to the number you just selected. You can set another keyfob to another seat position if desired.

My wife and I use different keyfobs, so when we each unlock the car, all these settings are ready for us when we enter.
Thanks. I fixed it by saving the settings to memory 1. However I didn't have to press the remote.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by newuser
Thanks. I fixed it by saving the settings to memory 1. However I didn't have to press the remote.
Glad to hear it. Likely, the key fob was already programed to position 1. If you ever want to move a key fob to another position, just remember to press a key fob button quickly after programming a position on the door buttons.