XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Gearbox Fault - manual gear changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gearbox Fault - manual gear changes

Whenever I change gears manually (ie from Drive to 4th to 3rd) I get a Gearbox Fault error and the gearbox seems to be stuck in 4th. Shutting down the engine and removing the key from the ignition clears the problem and as long as I stay in Drive everything is just fine, car goes through the gears without any problems.

Now, as it happens, I took the J-Gate apart last week to change the light bulbs, and I only noticed the problem since then (I don't do manual shifts very often).

Could it be that I missed something while reassembling the J-Gate thingy? Any ideas?

Noud

Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Have you tried a hard reset since your repair? It could be something as simple as a tiny bit out of adjustment, or a reset might clear it. I used to get a fault every so often when I started the car (prior to my recent stuff). And a hard reset cleared that up and never happened again. And even now, just after replacing my cable, it was still giving me a fault until I cleared it with a reset again. Couldn't hurt trying, only a few minutes.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Considering you had the jgate removed, your shifter cable is likely in need of adjustment, they're really finicky - 3mm off of position and it will throw codes