XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Heated seats and front and rear heated windows not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heated seats and front and rear heated windows not working

hi all agin.i been having help with a heater pump.now at the moment i cant start the car as i have a plastic water pipe broke. now i went to press the front and rear heated windows on and nothing lights up on the switches.and this is the same for the heated seats.now will they only work if the car is running.if not then what can be the cause as they worked fine a week ago .any help would be most great full.oh this is on my xj8 2001 oh also were is the interior heater sensor is it the one mounted in the middle of the dash by the inside bottom of window screen.

Last edited by Smudge67; 12-14-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,789 Likes on 12,163 Posts

Paul,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

I've also added vehicle details to your forum signature so they appear automatically with your future posts.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Smudge67 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Your ignition needs to be engaged in order for your climate controls and its accessories to function. You can turn on your lights, roll down/up your windows, but that's about it on ACC. If you turn your key a bit farther forward where all your dash indicators come on and your not starting the engine, climate controls and accessories should function (fan, vent controls, heated seats). Just don't do it too long, you'll eat your battery.

Smudge67 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Agree with Highhorse on the need for full battery charge and key in Acc . It's a designers choice in electrical reserve usage priorities , starter being # 1

The interior climate control temp senor is on the lower left side of the steering column for LWD . Might be the same for RWB . Look for a tiny grill . Do not spray with a cleaner as there is a tiny electric fan that may get it's bearings degreased . You have to remove the panel to get behind there with a dry brush . Clean the thermistor bulb with solvent on a towel . There is also a external temp sensor . If you had heated front windows as in expensive gold filmed inner glass option than you would have 2 relays by themselves behind the small panel on the left front seat by the left foot .

Any questions , just ask

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 12-14-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Smudge67 (12-15-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

On my 2002 XJ8 LHD that interior temperature sensor is just to the of the trunk release button. On either side of that trunk release button there little grills. Behind the right grill is the temperature sensor.

To remove the grill you must remove the single Phillips head screw that is in the top of the the little binnacle that is just below the trunk release button. That trunk release switch can now be pushed from behind now (towards the rear of the car). With that switch removed, the "tube" for the temperature sensor can be seen on the right.

Care must be employed to remove the hard plastic tube from the temperate sensor housing/grill. This is done by pushing the hard plastic tube away from you (towards the front of the car) while rocking it a bit. Once the hard plastic tube releases from the grill, the grill can be pushed from behind into the cabin of the car. There are NO clips for the grill, just plastic fins that allow tension to hold it to the dash fascia.

With the grill out you can now remove the plastic connecting tube from the flexible rubber tube that holds the thermistor bulb. Clean that bulb as directed above by Lady P.

Old 12-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hi rob thanks for that.as for my heated seats and heated front and rear windows will not operate till i start the car.