XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default HELP!!

My jag killed itself I think

I had to park it early November due to a transmission issues though I started it 3-4 times since then
the past two weeks its gotton worse there is a leaking coming from the front end
there are warning lights including fail safe engine mode, restricted performance, and incorrect part fitted though I havnt installed anything
the car has some electric gremlins including the wipers going 25% 4 times and the lights dimming, random door lock issues too
car wont start and has only cranked once
the clock is running 4 times as fast
Random electric growling from the dash
Beeps and bops ive never heard before
And the trunk wont open sometimes
Both my cars are broken as such if I get a tow truck how would I get it into natarul to get out of the garage
how doi fix some if not all of these problems excluding the tranny

Leak from the front end at the vary bottom of the engine on the shelf

Last edited by Lotusjag04; 01-02-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 01-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Have you kept the battery charged? Those electrical problems could be from a discharged battery. I can't see the leak in the picture, but if it's coolant it's probably the water pump.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by RJ237
Have you kept the battery charged? Those electrical problems could be from a discharged battery. I can't see the leak in the picture, but if it's coolant it's probably the water pump.
battery is definitely low trunk lights didnt turn on, here is a closer picture of the leak

Old 01-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

You may need a new battery. You can't park a Jag for an extended period without either disconnecting the battery or using a maintainer.

I still would only be guessing as to the source of the leak, especially since I can't smell it from here. The short connecting hose to the thermostat housing looks a bit swollen. If the water pump, water pipe (black plastic part) and hoses have never been changed I would do all of them.

Not knowing the year of the car, have the chain tensioners ever been changed?

Old 01-13-2019, 02:00 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I would guess it's the water pump leaking coolant, or the plastic crossover pipe. I see you upgraded the thermostat housing to aluminum so someone has dealt with this before.

Restricted performance/failsafe could be a number of things but I would bet low charge/electrical gremlins could be involved. As other posters mentioned have your battery tested/replaced and also check the ground strap from the transmission to the chassis. I had an XJ8 that would crank slow and make all kinds of strange beeps until I replaced the strap. Lastly, rodents. If the battery and the strap don't do the trick check for any chewed wires and a nest in the air filter box and under the covers for the brake master cylinder and engine computer. Also had a detonation sensor trip due to a hungry mouse.

If your car is still throwing codes after the electrical diagnosis hook up a cheap OBD II scanner and it should tell you if the issue is ignition, vacuum leak or sensor related. In my experience vacuum leak is #1 followed by oil in the spark plug holes from a leaking valve cover gasket or just a valve cover that is starting to crack letting oil leak down.