XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help diagnose lazy transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 01:13 PM
Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Help diagnose lazy transmission

Hi Everyone
After tackling various issues i'm finally close to bringing car to drive-as-new glory, the last (at least for now) serious problem i'm left with is a lazy transmission, it is not urgent yet and i can live with it for time being but it have me itching enough to start thinking of repair.
I don't know if any job was done on a gearbox (ZF 5HP24) by previous owner and i doubt he gonna tell me the truth even if i ask him so here it goes..
If i stomp on accelerator it will drop to lower gear, rev high but accelerate slowly, too slow to make viable plans on overtaking other cars on a short distance, if i drop j-gate to lower gear it will pull hard and fast, sport button works but don't change much,
The gearbox is fine shifting, absolutely no clunks or sharp gear changes, will have hiccup from time to time but it is rather my fault
Last summer i have replaced fluid with ravenol, old fluid was very very opaque and grey but didn't smell burned, sump has a thick coat of same grey sludge and so it has top of the filter, not much particles in there maybe 10 pieces of metal smaller than grain of sand and pinch of shavings almost invisible to eye, i have fluid partially replaced again few weeks ago while fitting transgo valve and it went out more brown than grey and much better than the first time, some sludge in sump and about same amount of particles.
Before transgo upgrade car would take more than a second to get into gear and drive from stop, now it is fast as it should be, almost instant.
Car sometimes vibrates when cold under part throttle, somewhere around 50mph, vibration seems to go with sport button, but is not exactly repeatable so i'm not really sure yet and still testing it (torque converter failure?)
So i suspect failed torque converter due to abnormal amount of sludge in old oil and vibration at certain speed but i would hate to pull the tranny change TC and discover it didn't cure my problem and i should go for clutches. Would the wasted clutches contaminate oil or they are fully metal stuff and what i saw was TC friction material?
If i pull tranny out i will try to fix it at once instead of open, see whats there, order parts and wait more albeit i'm not excluding that necessity
I'm just tying to make informed plans, so i'm open to suggestions and ideas
Thanks in advance

Old 04-30-2019, 04:06 PM
Received 110 Likes on 79 Posts

Well, i gonna answer myself, i took car for a spin and at 90km/h vibration comes and goes with the press of sport button, so TC is an definite suspect, i also get quite loud ticking from TC area more loud when cold but all the time present, strangely i tried to floor the car few times and it didn't slip or at least not too much too notice.