XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke Down! Can you help me diagnose?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Broke Down! Can you help me diagnose?

Hello all,
I would greatly appreciate any help in diagnosing my car. Spent several hours reading past posts last night and found them incredibly helpful! Yesterday morning I was contemplating a preventative upgrade of my tensioners and by yesterday afternoon I am broken down. Heres the story.

Last week I drove home from work (2001 XKR silverstone 31K miles) no problem. Parked the car. Went to start it an hour later to go to dinner and it started real rough. Kinda choking, missing. Could not accelerate at all. Was terrified that I jumped a sproket on my cam chain. Went to dinner in another vehicle. Started it a couple hours later and it started just fine. Sounded normal, accelerated normal. I changed the plugs the next day as they were due and I was hoping maybe I had fouled a plug or two??? (incidentally I found a tiney bit of oil in two of the plug wells on the passenger side. Small gasket leak?) Went out yesterday for about a 40 mile drive (everything normal), made one last stop and when I went to leave car started really rough again. Just like before, choking, missing, even stalled. Undrivable. I left the car for an hour returned, went to start it and it would not start at all. Turned over fine but would not catch at all. Sounded like no fuel or no spark. Sprayed some starting fluid into the TB and it fired up. I was able to keep it running by pulsing shots of fluid into the tb. Sounded rough but was running. Checked pressure at the fuel line (front left on the XKR?) and at first there was just a trickle of gas with minimal pressure. CHecked again later after several starting attempts and while key in position 2 and no pressure AT ALL while pressing the needle in ( dont have a gauge but can pick one up at harbor freight). Swapped multiple injector and fuel pump fuses (3 i think) and the fuel pump #1 relay. Not sure which is fuel pump #2 relay becaue finding differing info but I think I swapped that too (the one all by itself in the luggage fuse panel?). no luck. Listened for fuel pump in the trunk while disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. NO sound at all from the fuel tank. I also tried pulling hte fuel pump #1 relay in the hopes thatfuel pump #2 would take over and get me home. No luck. (that would have been really cool if it worked!)
So, thats where I am. AAA towed me home last night. I am thinking both of my pumps are shot. In retrospect maybe pump 2 has been out a while becasue i suspect the top end kick has not been there for a while. MAYBE? I would like to test power to the pumps at the connections on the tank but I dont now which connector (the white one at the top right of the tank or one of the two on top of the tank?) and I dont know which wires. I also find it really hard to believe that BOTH pumps are dead at 31k miles!??

So what next?
1.ANy other disagnostic suggestions?
2. which wires to test power at?
3. do i lower the diff to access the 2 tank hoses (assuming you also think its the pumps). I have big hands!

Sorry to be so long winded but wanted to give you all the info. Thanks again for a great forum. I cant believe how much info I have found already which will allow me (a wannabe mechanic) to tackle this job!

Thanks so much for any advice, input!!

Jed

Old 03-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Default oops sorry, forgot to mention NO codes!

just the p1111 which I undertand is normal.

Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This is a oneline for a 2001 MY car http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa.../jagxk2001.pdf As for checking power to the fuel pump you can look at my procedure I did for my XK8 JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource your car has 2 pumps so it will be a little different and the oneline will help. As for the no start situation this is a procedure I put together that might help JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource As for the P1111 it means that the OBDII diagnostic monitor drive cycles have been completed. Nothing to be alarmed about. This chart should help http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa..._2001_OBD2.pdf

Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Default update

Gus,
Thanks so much for the great resources!
I ran thru your no start guide (good stuff!) and I was able to jump the pump 1 relay without any noise from the fuel pump. I then checked power at the BW wire (brown white on the xkr) at the top left of the fuel tank and it DID have power but still no pump noise. I should probably try the same jump procude for the fuel pump 2 relay hah?

Also I will pick up a fuel line pressure gauge this afternoon after work.

Two questions.
1. Is it possible that the pump is so quite that I cant hear or feel it running with my hand on the fuel tank and me in the trunk?? (in my quite gagrage)

2. Do you think I have eough diagnostic info to go ahead and pull the tank and change the pumps? (any thoughts about dropping the diff for better access?)

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by JedinDetroit
2. Do you think I have eough diagnostic info to go ahead and pull the tank and change the pumps? (any thoughts about dropping the diff for better access?)

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Make up the tool described starting in post#52 of this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s-61394/page3/

You should be able to avoid dropping the differential.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

If the pump is not turning (and you should be able to hear it) and you have power with no pressure then I would say the pump is bad. Now your car has 2 pumps and you may want to consider replacing both after you see what is involved in the replacement process. As for the tool Steve mentioned that is a good idea and should be considered. I also have a procedure for the pump replacement JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource if you need it. Just remember to take your time and check your connections in the tank before reinstalling it back into the car.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Default update

Picked up a fuel injection presure tester at Harbor Freight after work. Also picked up some fuel line disconnect tools. We will see how that goes.

I am getting 0 pressure at the injector rail. So it looks like I will try to pull the tank and the pumps one night this week.

Just a crazy thought but has anyone tried to get at the fuel pumps without pulling the tank by going through the car interior and using that huge center speaker/subwoofer hole in the rear deck under the rear window? I know a crazy thought....but.....

thanks again for all the help. I will keep you updated.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Default Problem solved. Fuel pumps replaced!

Just an update...turns out it was my fuel pumps.

I used Gus's no start procedure and the diagnosis of bad fuel pumps was correct. I changed out both fuel pumps WITHOUT removing lower tank hoses through the subwoofer opening on the rear deck of my coupe.

I also chenged the fuel pump filter/screens and the external tank wiring harness (dont think I needed to). I did not change the internal tank link lead that also includes the sending unit because I could not find any consensus to change it.

All in all, it seems one of my pumps has been out a while and the other must have just failed. The car is definately much more responsive. Is your XKR a little sluggish? check your fuel pumps!!

Anyway, thanks GUS and all those who provided input. I could not have done it without this forum. I spent $600 in parts (instead of $2000 at the dealer) and got the satisfaction of doing it myself!!

The following users liked this post:
Gus (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Kudos to you! On the road again!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

wannabe mechanic to DIY fuel pump fitted in 4 weeks
Bet you never thought this would be the result when the Silverstone let you down that January evening.

Graham

Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Jed
Glad to see your up and running. Went through the same scenario a couple of months ago couldn't go through the speaker hole, mines a convertible. Did you address the tensioners yet? That's another DIY job that can save you a bundle.
Have you registered your Silverstone at the registry yet?
Good Luck.