XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar xj6 sunroof

Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Jaguar xj6 sunroof

For years on the passenger side at the rear of my sunroof sagged bad and I had to keep it out of the weather. I got it painted last year. I removed the sunroof to see about replacing the seal, upon looking the plastic ramp on the right side of the roof was broke. I ordered two for the left and right just to make sure. These ramps have slots for adjustability. Is there a measurement or guideline to wear to set them, I have adjusted it a couple of times and it still is not right. Any info will help. Thanks

Old 10-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

hi,
download the Body section file of the Factory Service Manual. Look for it halfway down in the HOW TO link page which is always located at the top of the threads.

in that Service Manual Section, there is a page about adjusting the sunroof panel.

it takes many tries. The good news is that you were able to find the parts needed.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank, will try it this weekend

Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,742 Likes on 7,097 Posts

This might be of interest

Adjusting Sunroof Assembly

Cheers
DD

Old 02-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Where can I download this?

"download the Body section file of the Factory Service Manual. "
I have searched and keep getting junk pay services. Thanks

Old 02-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

here is the file

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
11 Body.pdf (2.06 MB, 865 views)
The following users liked this post:
lensmonkey (03-10-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts

Yes I've heard about the Big Sky Country. I'd love to see it one day

Old 12-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

-2C here in Boston MA...cold...too cold for me.I want to go jump in my cat and put my hands on the warm steering wheel.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:13 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Call me, Ishmael! It was the White Whale!!

If good driving is a learning process that never needs to stop, I learned more in the four hour interstate drive home one last week, than I have learned about driving in the past 7 years.
I realized that, even though I've been through SEVERE climate and storms while at the wheel, I've always been through conditions where I could see SOMETHING outside the windscreens to use as a reference for decision-making.
A snowfall white-out (a combination of snow particles and wind that other parts of the world refer to as a "snow squall") was new to me, because it literally disconnects any vision with the world outside the car. Zero vision? I have never tried to drive in that.

I was heading home from a site trip for my office, from CT to NY. 130 miles, 98% of this trip is on motorways that typically open to 65mph legal speed limits.
I stopped at a fuel station at 5pm to top up, and clean all my windows (habit of mine on long journeys).
I saw a panicked truck driver rear-end a little jeep, and I saw no reason why he was so panicky and careless. Maybe he knew something was coming, that I didn't know. I should have seen that as an omen...

30 minutes later, I and several cars entered the beginning (literally Exit-1) of this winding 65 mph 2-lane highway with headlights and tail lights on, and so far the pavement was spotless to drive on. My speed increased to about 57 mph, when tiny snow sprinkles started falling--then flakes were blowing into the front windscre-----then WIND and a billion flakes were SWARMING the glass and the headlights.
Then I could see the road was white with about 2-inches of sno----then, it was like my car was in an unlit garage, not outside with trees and sky or snow covered roadway anymore. And I looked at my speedometer, and I was doing 15mph----FEAR had automatically lifted my 50mph foot off the pedal, and I didn't even realize I had reduced my speed safely down to a crawl without being conscious of it.
Worrying that cars behind me still doing 50 mph might hit me, I looked in the rear mirror: there were maybe six headlights forming a sort of caravan behind me. I looked for the taillights of cars in front of me, because I couldn't see a road to steer on anymore, it was all white snow already. There were two sets of taillights ahea---nooo, ONE set of taillights ahead of me.... and then I lost all sight of ANYYTHING in front of me. Not even four feet in front. No roadway to find lane markers, no sky above the ground, not enough light from the headlamps.
Do you understand me? I mean NOTHING. A Steven King "car transported in a vortex to an evil mist" horror movie kind of nothing.
I looked in the rear mirror again, becasue now I felt like I was now the leader of the caravan, and I had no way to make the people back there realize "your leader is as lost as a headless chicken (too shocked, and no mouth on him to even scream).
--I turned on my rear fog lamps (LOL, as if that's of any use in this?).
--I decided to pull over---pull over WHERE, WHAT? I couldn't tell if the shoulder of the highway was anywhere near me, or if I was still near a highway lane, or a foot from grinding a retaining barrier.
--If I stop cold, one of the blind followers behind me will climb right up my bum and explode, won't they?
---I should steer to my left (since my driver's seat is nearest the left and I have the best chance of spotting a pending collision, and I can safely reach a highway divider that way, right?

A vertical iridescent marker (one of the devices US highways use to indicate the edge of the shoulder before you end up in a ditch) appeared out of nowhere, and the Rover nearly got hit in the mouth... from my LEFT side, and I knew that was wrong---it meant I was too far over to my right, no longer on any lane, and likely about to exceed the shoulder completely---
---"Traffic accident on I-384 between Exit 18 and Exit 19" Who said that? Holy Moses, that was my SatNav--the system I used to get me to the job site. It suddenly reminded me I had my JLR Sat Nav active, and I was driving a Land Rover Discovery HSE----I snapped myself out of the "I don't know what to do" mode, got a hold of myself, and I stopped the car, FLASHERS ON.

SatNav started reporting every 7 seconds, "traffic accident between Exit 21 and 23.. "traffic problem between Exit Hell and Exit Heaven..." Started to sound like a news anchorman reporting increasing mushroom clouds appearing across the different states in the start of a nuclear war movie.

"Squall" means the darned thing clears up as fast as it starts, but who knows how long.
Once the snowfall suddenly eased a bit---there was NO ONE ahead of me that I could see, and maybe four cars behind me who were still trusting me, and doing what I did--parked behind me about 25 feet apart (only 25 feet, and we couldn't see each other's light!).
I figured some fool behind us might start plowing through at 40 mph (you know how arrogant some drivers get when they want to bluff their way through a crowd of slower people). I wanted to try to move ahead before the squall possibly came down again, and I drove down this white pair of tire tracks I spotted in the snow ahead. I had the Rover's gravel/snow mode engaged---I could feel and hear those stupid incapable "all-season tires" losing their ability, and an incredibly capable Land Rover traction system making up for the loss perfectly---I was speechless.
I got about 100 yards down the road without seeing anything but a blanket of snow and trees on both sides in the darkness.
And THAT's when the SatNav suddenly made a new decision, and stole the show: "Prepare to exit the highway, in half a mile."
Exit the highway!? Gladly, but where the flipping sakes am I right now? Don't I need the highway to get home? I can't do a 130 mile trip on some porkbone and grits side roads--it would take me 2 days to reach NY borders---if you guide me off the highway, I'm screwed!

I've trusted the Jaguar SatNav on drives before, but never like this. Trusting a goofy GPS based gurlie computer voice that will always has the same gurlie tone in her voice even when she's about to guide you off the broken end of a bridge after that nuclear war thing I just mentioned.... trust of that magnitude requires, real STONES.
...."Exit the highway". I trusted her---I mean, trusted "it".

"Turn left at the traffic light"
"Turn left."
"In 100 feet turn right". Right into where? Are you sure?
"Drive 8 miles" EIGHT MILES! This is a lame back road---you must be leading me to Stockholm---I'm going to die out here, I know it.
"In 300 feet, turn right." "Drive .7 miles... turn slight left... drive 12.. in 200 feet... turn left and prepare to turn left..."
This went on for MILES in the dark---just her voice, and every six minutes an uncontrolled giggle from me, thinking I was going insane". Eventually the SatNav had guided me to a point where I wasn't even consistently seeing houses and garages any longer. Just high berms on either side, night-trees, slushed snow, an occasional traffic light swaying in the wind.

I tell you no lie: that SatNav guided me through a hairdo of roads I would never imagine someone being able to find on their own in an emergency drive... and put me BACK on a civilized part of the world, BYPASSED two major highways that I never heard from again that evening (God only knows what the mess of cars must have been like back there), put me ON the beginning of an interstate highway that only had three cars existent on it... and we three vehicle just drove loosely at 35mph ALONE in the night, until gradually there was less and less snow on the ground, and city lights showing again, and gradually more and more vehicles around us that had NO snow or ice on them at all.
The more I looked around at that familiar I-95 highway I was once again on, the more it seemed like SatNav had piloted me around the whole snow-squall storm zone itself, and cleared me around and out to the other side of it!

I drove, and I did not look back.
60 miles later, I pulled into a truckers comfort station to top off again, (and to empty the fear out of my diapers). I looked back at the gas pump, and the Land Rover was COVERED in salt, crunchy grey slush, frozen winter mucous that looked like hardened slime from Ripley's Alien movie all across the headlamps, the roof, and mirror covers.

I don't believe there is any car made that can be this serious and fully DESIGNED for these kinds of adverse road games as JLR. I wanted to stoop down and kiss the license plate, but I couldn't find it behind this block of permafrost all over the bumper.
Waves, Garmin, please line up to kiss a Jaguar's tail chromes or Land Rover muffler. I will no longer poke fun at my jaguar SatNav, or joke about how she takes me off 10-minute delay city expressways and directs me to 17-minute delay city expressways. This I vow.

I will bow down to the JLR spirit force, and bring fruits and vegetables in a bowl every morning as tribute to it. I doubt thee, no more.

Last edited by NewLester de Rocin; 02-04-2019 at 06:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NewLester de Rocin:
Daf11e (02-04-2019), sov211 (02-07-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:53 PM

I tip my hat to you for having a good sense of humor about it. While I, thankfully, have never driven in those conditions. I have been in several with rain pelting down so heavy I couldn't see 20 foot ahead of me. Wipers going crackers on the windscreen in a vain attempt to get some hint of what is in front of me and expecting any moment to have someone plough into me from behind. I'm over in the right hand lane creeping along I95 at about 30 mph, foot shaking on gas, white knuckle the whole way. Meanwhile there's positively INSANE fools in the high speed lane speeding along like it was a dry summer day.

I congratulate you on your driving skills. I think I would have parked it and prayed.

So the onboard system activated automatically, guiding you around the rings of hell to safety? That's a comfort to know.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:43 PM
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JaxR.

I congratulate you on your driving skills. I think I would have parked it and prayed.

So the onboard system activated automatically, guiding you around the rings of hell to safety? That's a comfort to know.
Holy Moses! I have to apologize.
Firstly thanks for reading this, JaxR and all.
Especially because this was posted in the WRONG Thread... I thought I was posting in the "What's the Weather like around you?" thread. I don't know how it ended up here in the X Series sunroof thread!

But, thanks for putting up with this.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 PM

No need to apologise, It was interesting to read how you handled the situation. I feel less embarrassed about the driving in the rain bit as I seemed to be one of the very few who pulled over and slowed to a crawl. Figured I was a very nervous driver.

Best to you my friend....

Jax

Last edited by JaxR.; 02-07-2019 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,129 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLester de Rocin
Holy Moses! I have to apologize.
Firstly thanks for reading this, JaxR and all.
Especially because this was posted in the WRONG Thread... I thought I was posting in the "What's the Weather like around you?" thread. I don't know how it ended up here in the X Series sunroof thread!

But, thanks for putting up with this.
It might have been put in the wrong thread but it made fascinating reading -especially for someone who has experienced similarly blinding conditions. You have described one aspect of the essential integrity of JLR products. The have always been very safe vehicles (among their other virtues), highly underrated by almost every auto journalist (and therefore by those who read them) but those of us who have owned a variety of JLR (and earlier Jaguar) products know their strength and their worth (and their beauty, which is far more obvious). Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:23 PM
Received 3,800 Likes on 2,780 Posts

As sov211 said, maybe wrong thread but a good read.