XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

high gearbox temp, failsafe, and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high gearbox temp, failsafe, and won't start

I have had an intermittent High Gearbox Temperature failure for a few months (no rhyme or reason to it appearing - except NEVER when I drive the car, only when wife and kids do!). Just figured it was sensor and car always starting after sitting.
Yesterday, however, after sitting for 5 hours, it still threw the High Gearbox Temperature Message and Engine Failsafe messages - but it cranked and cranked and cranked and wouldn't start.
I pulled the positive lead off of the battery (I forgot to touch it to the negative terminal so I guess I did not do a hard reset) and the same problem remained.
I thought the car should at least start? I am going back today to do the reset and try it again.
Thanks !
p.s. Yes, I am once again going through the ODB code reader thread. I know that someone must have posted a reader for my XJR.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Old 04-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link, though quite frankly it is above my very limited abilities...
Anyway to my surprise, I went to try it today before having it towed. The warning messages flashed again, she cranked the usual 3 or 4 times, and then she started! The messages disappeared. I drove home and do believe the transmission was shifting (by tach, as I took back roads and never got above 50mph). When I got home, I tried it a couple more times and it started cleanly with no messages. Oh well. Thanks for the help. Hope to get it to the dealer ... and to actually purchase a code reader that works with the car!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Its standard OBDII, nothing special

Old 04-27-2016, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I'd find a jag indy as they will more likely have a clue about the whole car including the trans.