XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

High pitched intermittent humming at 60+mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitched intermittent humming at 60+mph

I got a new-to-me 2000 Jaguar XJ8 V8 4.0 a few weeks ago. 41k miles, kept up to date on all maintenance per written records. It came from a woman in Florida who obviously didn't drive it often.

While driving on the highway today, I heard a loud, intermittent humming noise when I hit about 60mph. I slowed down a little and the noise stopped, so I pushed it back up to 60mph and the noise continued, still intermittently. It will hum for 1 second, stop, come back and hum for 5ish seconds, stop, come back for 2-3 seconds, and so on. It's never steady for longer than about 8 seconds. The further I went, the less it got until it completely disappeared at 60mph. I then picked up to 65mph and again, the same noise. If I slowed down to 60mph, it was gone. Again, I got back up to 65mph until the noise stopped, accelerated to 70mph and again the noise returned. When I slowed back down to 65mph, the noise was gone.

Helpppppp!

Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Congrats first of all on finding a 17 y/o Jaguar with 41k miles.

As for your humming noise, does the noise sound like its from the front or rear? Is this on a fairly flat road or does the noise happen when you hit a bump in the road? Anything in the service records to indicate any repairs made before you bought the vehicle?

Old 04-30-2017, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Congrats first of all on finding a 17 y/o Jaguar with 41k miles.

As for your humming noise, does the noise sound like its from the front or rear? Is this on a fairly flat road or does the noise happen when you hit a bump in the road? Anything in the service records to indicate any repairs made before you bought the vehicle?
Thank you! She's a real beauty!

The noise sounds like it's coming from the front end. It's only happened on the highway so far and that's a pretty flat, smooth surface around here considering the highway has recently been repaved. The car was in a t-bone collision many years ago without any damage to the front end.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If its coming from the center up front area it could be the transmission. Given the low miles of your car I highly doubt it. Is it a whistling noise or just a humming noise?

Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by jagdohrman
If its coming from the center up front area it could be the transmission. Given the low miles of your car I highly doubt it. Is it a whistling noise or just a humming noise?
It sounds like it's coming from the front right side to me. My boyfriend said the same thing, but he describes the noise as "someone playing a harmonica". I think it sounds like a very loud humming, almost like you're going over rumble strips but without the vibration.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

had the same issue it was accessory pulley Mike at Eurotoys discovered it when he did my pulley upgrade and changed the bearing