XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I love this car

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Destroyer
I got my '03 XJ8 last June or July. My wife and I have accumulated almost 10k miles during that time (105k or so on the odometer now). The car has been a pure joy. It does need an 02 sensor and possibly new springs but still rides excellent. I am 6'3 and find the drivers seat to be a cozy, snug but comfortable place to be. I love driving the car and it's styling is absolutely timeless. This is one case where I don't mind doing the repairs even if they are expensive. Hell, I got the car for 1/10th the price it cost new.

It's true about the repairs. The car I'm driving is basically a $100,000 car brand new, but you don't even want to know how much I paid for it with 109000km (about 65000miles). The value is absurd! I can't really complain about repair costs when I consider the fact that I could have spent more on a used Honda and I'm driving this!

Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Well, I've always loved the Jag saloons. Its a long story - sort of sentimental. But I've really always loved them. The X308 has been a dream car of mine since it was introduced and since my first ride in an X300 in Germany, at night, through the black forest - something that will stick with me forever. Anyway, the dream is now a reality, which is kind of ridiculous at this point in my life (got the car at 22) - Its funny that anyone's dream car could be so easily attainable due to such rapid depreciation caused by a bad rap - I love the beauty of the thing. I love looking over that long, sculptured bonnet with the leaper way out on the end. I love the dark wood trim, especially on the steering wheel and shift knob. I love the wood tray tables, the Connolly leather, and the smell of the interior. All angles of the car are perfect. Its fast in a wafty, calm way. Most of all, I love the way it makes me feel and the way it feels like an event/special occasion every time I drive it. It definitely has faults, as we all know, but that's life. Its a great car.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cadillac
I trust you can keep enjoying your Jag , it's lovely to see such appreciation threads anywhere on the forums , thanks a lot
Thanks for the sig picture. She is gorgeous.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The styling of Detroit iron from 1957 through 1971 is hard to beat. Is it any wonder Ford went back to the big body look of Mustangs from 67 and on? What about the new Challenger? Sure reminds me of the old Cudas. And Chevy with the new Camaros? I think they missed the boat. They should have have stolen the look from the 67/68 Camaros.

I love the motor and tranny in my 06 Goat, but to look at it? It's boring. I'm looking at the 308s because of the classic styling. Besides, I'm ready to be pampered a bit. LOL

Old 03-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Earsti
The styling of Detroit iron from 1957 through 1971 is hard to beat. Is it any wonder Ford went back to the big body look of Mustangs from 67 and on? What about the new Challenger? Sure reminds me of the old Cudas. And Chevy with the new Camaros? I think they missed the boat. They should have have stolen the look from the 67/68 Camaros.

I love the motor and tranny in my 06 Goat, but to look at it? It's boring. I'm looking at the 308s because of the classic styling. Besides, I'm ready to be pampered a bit. LOL
Ah, the new Challenger. Beautiful car. IMHO, it is the best looking American car since the 300C came out. Prior to the 300C, there wasn't any beautiful looking American cars for decades. Too bad the interior looks horrible on the 300C and Challenger. I still want my 300C pillar less coupe!

Ralph Giles, designer of the 300C is a genius. He was promoted to CEO and Vice President of Dodge due to his talent.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cars should stir the soul as they sit there. 57 T Bird, 57 Bel Air, 65 GTO, 69 SS Chevelle, 67 SS 350, 63 Split Window, 450 SLC, 70 Cuda, 69 Trans Am.

That's why I look to older sheet metal. Whether it was HP or styling, they (the designers and engineers) were artists.

The 308 is another fine example.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never knew what the hype was... I was working at a Porsche dealer that aquired the local Jag dealer... I had been there for many years...we got to drive whatever we wanted basically...I just thought that Jags were outdated, clunky old cars...which I guess they kinda are...
One day they told us due to increasing insurance costs, we'd have to find our own rides....I sold a Lady a new 911 coupe and she traded-in a gently used 97 LWB XJ6 I drove it home for the week-end and fell in love...I got it for a steal. I also ended up with a 95 SWB XJ6, and we have a super well cared for 98 XJR we have had for 3 years.

I havent really posted here much I guess, cause I dont seem to have too many issues. Ive never been left stranded by any of my cars....But I wish I knew more about the timing chain issue before I got the Xjr...Im not mechanicly inclined and the spouse hates spending money on stuff that aint broke.. As nice as the Xjr was when I got Im just assuming it was done.....cuase Ive driven the **** out if for the last three years with absolutely not so much as a check engine light. (now watch something will go wrong)

As far as loving the car..the true test for me...is can you park it in a public parking spot and walk away with looking back? I cant. I cant even let a valet park it. That how much I love it. Even though its 13! years old.... people still stare at it at intersections, it will still smoke 95 percent of cars at stoplights. The paint is still glossy, I just wish I could do something about the front seats..they are starting to show some wear..

Old 03-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrpilot
it will still smoke 95 percent of cars at stoplights
Yesssss, the 1st gear launch makes me laugh out loud each time I pop it from a red light (which is quite frequent in NYC) and feel the G-force and see the hood of the 204"-long LWB Jag rise up like it is about to do a wheelie! (I realize this is just a sensation and probably even a sign of an outdated suspension geometry, but never-the-less it is endlessly amusing...)

Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

XJRpilot, I may have a solution for the condition of your seats. My XJR is off-white, and it looked a little ragged. The previous owner took very good care of the car, but did not do much for the interior, perhaps because he was the only one who basically ever used it. So, the drivers seat showed some wear, with dark lines where the dye had come off, and many cracks between the perforations, running in diagonal dark lines.

I think this might be of interest to others, so will post a new thread on the subject.

Mike

Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

When I used to work at Whitley I used to take Jaguars for granted. Still IT was always a real sense of ocassion to have a Jaguar signed out for the weekend to do development work. I got to know the cars very very well.
However I was firmly a BMW man then and owned both an old Bimmer and Porsche 911 Turbo.
I left and became an engineer in Germany. The view towards Jags was very different there. A Jaguar was much more high society. I also started to work with engineers from Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, etc and I started to realise that the Germans are not infallible and there cars had just as many flaws if not more (due to their complexity). I started imaging how nice it would be being different and owning something NON-German and something I was intimately involved with.
Since moving to America it seems to be such an advantage being from the Uk, it's positively celebrated. I got together with my fiance who loves Jaguars so I yearned for one- mostly as a sentimental nod to my formative years as an engineer. This is why I got myself an XJR. I cant even imagine me having an M5 BMW instead now. Its so unique and different and distinctive compared to all the Jap cars on the road out here. It reaks of restrained good taste!
Ever since living in the Uk I have always been into classic American Muscle cars. When I moved herre I bought myself a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 - the engine of which I'm currently rebuilding and modifying. It's a totally different world compared to the BMWs and Porsches Ive come from. I sometimes compare the side profile of the X300 to the original Challenger. Both are elegant, subtle, sleek. Both are low and wide and agressive looking without being crass.
I think its a subtley and understatement of look that is probably totally lost on those into the new Bangle era BMWs or those into the new Callum Jaguars. In a similar way I love the old generation BMW 6 series.
For this reason stylists like Geoff Lawson, Paul Bracq (old shark nosed BMW stylist) and Carl Cameron (1970 challenger) will be my personal favourites for adding expression in metal to their passion and great vision

Old 03-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What a great post... and so nice to hear all the things you guys love about your cats! I just bought an '01 VDP and have some repair issues to contend with, but i just love this thing and feel like a million bucks driving it. I do feel a bit funny seeing the looks on the faces of those who know me when they see me drive up. They basically go white... or is it green? The car simply speaks of class and richness. And those tray tables... I have to laugh every time I pull one down. It's so snooty, I love it. HA!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

YouTube - 1998 Jaguar Manufacturer Promotional Video

WHen I watch this video it takes me right back to my Whitley days. The music, the feel of Jaguars then etc. It's definately a feel good video for us X300 owners.
People I've worked with are on this video, Dave Scuzpac (eventually went to Ford and has now retired), Geoff Lawson (now deceased about a year after this video was made), Dave Scholes, Trevor Crisp (old school- who when he left-shook everyones hand in powertrain).

Once a stylist told me of Jaguars then, that itwas common for people to want to stroke and touch Jaguars when then got close- and this was due to the rounded sensual forms of Jaguars.
This is not neccessarily the case with other luxury cars of the segment

Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by xjrpilot
As far as loving the car..the true test for me...is can you park it in a public parking spot and walk away with looking back?

I always look back at least twice

Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXJR02
I always look back at least twice
Me too. And I park waaaay out there away from everyone else and take up four parking spaces.

Sometimes I feel guilty that I feel so much for what is basically metal and plastic.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
I left and became an engineer in Germany. The view towards Jags was very different there. A Jaguar was much more high society.
Its interesting. I have an English uncle who only drives German cars - BMW and Porsche and who dislikes Jaguar. Then I have a German uncle who only drives green Jaguars and isn't keen on German luxury cars.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an uncle that is dumb. He thinks all Mercedes are old 240D models and thinks a Chevy truck is superior to all.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 24 Likes on 4 Posts

I just completed a 2200 mile roadtrip with my 2001 XJR and it performed beautifully. Paid 10% of new and had no problem fitting in with all the other fancy cars at the Amelia island festivities this year.

One small suggestion though; don't drive it on the beach...

Name:  IMG_1199.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  65.5 KB

Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tylerh860

One small suggestion though; don't drive it on the beach...

hahah that stinks , atleast you got one heck of a picture out of it! looks nice

Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM

I could think of worse places to have an issue.

Name:  IMG_1197.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  168.8 KB

Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 AM

I'm telling people that I'm not stuck rather doing my own artistic representation of WWII.

Quick Reply: I love this car