XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Illuminating Issues-Help me see the light!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Illuminating Issues-Help me see the light!!

Hello there!!

A bit of a strange one this. I got in the car this evening and after starting, I switched on the lights. A light went out behind the RPM gauge and my LH seat heater & Valet buttons have also gone out. I knew these all worked because I was looking at them when I switched on the lights.

The other thing I've noticed is that only the window switches on the Drivers door are lit, the other three door's aren't-but I'm unsure if this is normal or not I've never noticed before.

So I figure I've either got a fuse blown or just by chance 6 bulbs have gone together. So what I need to know is: 1) Can these bulbs be replaced? 2) Are the passenger door switches supposed to light, if so can bulbs in these be changed?

Thanks for your input guys, I hate having a part lit dashboard!!
S.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I can tell you that I found the owners manual to be the best resource on fuse locations in my 2001 XJ8L. AllDataDIY was wrong on several I was tracking down, which made things hard to diagnose.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Yikes, I doubt you'd lose all 6 bulbs in one fail swoop! Before I started changing them, i'd run a scan to see if the body process module has any shorts. I'm trying to think which bulb would be the easiest to get to if you wanted to check the 'mass bulb' failure theory first. valet button maybe? Is that in the dash or in the knee bolster?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Well I discovered some interesting news today. I mentioned my bulb issue in passing to my girlfriend, and she Remarked "I alsways thought it was strange how your window buttons never lit up." So from that I have learnt only 3 bulbs have gone.

So that leaves me with 3, so I think they may have gone when I hit a bad pothole-They may only be loose. As we all know bulbs are delicate things and shocks can effect them.

I have discovered what part number the bulbs are, and am pleased to say they're quite cheap here in GB. What I do need to know is how I change the bulbs-looking at them they don't seem like a straight forward "twist & pull" afair. Any help would be welcomed!!

Thanks Guys!! S.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

Well, so we're talking about the instrument cluster and behind the valet/seat heater buttons. I think we can get you some guidance...somewhat, let me explain.

in the xk8/r FAQ thread, Reverend Sam put together a video on how to change those bubls behind the instrument cluster. It may be exactly like your xj, or it may be slightly different. But, you won't know unless you try.

The buttons in the center console, well that thing has got to come out and most likely the radio and climate controls to remove the row of buttons you describe as being dark. Once you get the j-gate bezel off, the rest is just screws and bolts. I'm afriad I don't have intimate knowledge of your car, so I only have my xk console removal experience to describe to you.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Stu, to get at the bulbs you'll need to loosen and move the centre console skijump back to access the screws holding the switchpacks in place.

The bulbs themselves are twistlock mini and just twist 90 degrees and lock with a screwdriver.

There's a thread on here about removing the ashtray which is the same root in....

disconnect the battery first, and leave for ten, go have a brew. The airbag module is on the trans tunnel.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=36070

By the way I've done a conversion on these bulbs to LED's and I'm happy I did, (they're blue) I never have to consider changing them ever again.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Lads, I was already familiar with Ski Slope removal as I did it when I installed my Motorola T605 Bluetooth kit SARC style (Mounted on the Driver's Air Vent).

@H20 boy: Thanks for the heads up about Rev Sam!! I'll have a look for the vis I imagine the two instrument clusters are the same. As long as we're talking about the Mk1 XK8s though. I go to Spain tomorrow so this little job will have to await my return.

@Sean B: Thanks for the advice on the bulb removal, I wasn't sure of the procedure. On my Triumph Herald only the gauges light up, and they're bulbs screw in & out!! Ha Ha! I think I'll keep the stock Ice blue colour though, I really like it, and in a bizzare coincidence is the same colour as the gauges in my bus at work!!

Thanks Again, S.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hello there, I've changed the bulbs behing the instruments, the 4 bulbs cost me 98 pence and they look very nice indeed. Thanks H20Boy for pointing me in the direction of Reverand Sam's video, it was a very similar method to mine.

What I do need to know is the part number for the little bulbs behind the Valet/Seat Heat etc buttons is. I would like the oringinal bulbs, as I don't fancy LEDs really. Thanks-S.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Veteran member

that bulb part number is in the parts file in our FAQ thread...either n the microfiche pdfs, or that Parts Cataloge pdf set we have. I know for sure its in the microfice files...saw it last time I went looking.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks H20 but this will sound silly: Could you post a link to that section for me? I can't seem to find it... Thanks-Stu.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been trying to locate the part number for the very small bulbs that are located inside the window switch (I believe these are smaller than the ones that are in the dash). Dealer wanted to sell me the entire witch assembly. Any leads?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

Here stu, its in the fiche #2, section E, page 09.

I took a screen shot for you

dneider, the parts catalog do not show any bulb replacement for the window switches in the door, they may be hardwired to the assembly. Not impossible to repair, another member in the xj area redid all his bulbs with LEDs, it just will take some electrical knowledge and soldering skill.

But, the memory switches do have a separate bulb.

Attached Thumbnails Illuminating Issues-Help me see the light!!-bulbs-behind-aux-buttons.jpg   Illuminating Issues-Help me see the light!!-bulb-behind-memory-switch.jpg   Illuminating Issues-Help me see the light!!-switchpacks.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 08-30-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Hello there!!

A bit of a strange one this. I got in the car this evening and after starting, I switched on the lights. A light went out behind the RPM gauge and my LH seat heater & Valet buttons have also gone out. I knew these all worked because I was looking at them when I switched on the lights.

The other thing I've noticed is that only the window switches on the Drivers door are lit, the other three door's aren't-but I'm unsure if this is normal or not I've never noticed before.

So I figure I've either got a fuse blown or just by chance 6 bulbs have gone together. So what I need to know is: 1) Can these bulbs be replaced? 2) Are the passenger door switches supposed to light, if so can bulbs in these be changed?

Thanks for your input guys, I hate having a part lit dashboard!!
S.

Do the passenger door switches light up? Only my driver's door switches light up like Stu's

Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks So Much H20 That was really kind of you to do for me!!

@ Burmaz-The door buttons are supposed to light up, but I figured that the passenger door ones get broken easier because, as I'm sure we'll all agree, passengers tend to slam the door rather than shut it!!

@dneider- The part number you reqiure is: SBC 6244 They can be easily found online, or through the parts network at Jaguar.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The switches can be disasembled and the bulb can be removed from its socket.... they probably didn't intend for you to disasemble it... but its easy enough to do....and seems silly to replace the entire switch for this little bulb. I looked on line for SBC 6244... no dice... ill talk to the dealer.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

@dneider- The part number you reqiure is: SBC 6244 They can be easily found online, or through the parts network at Jaguar.
Ahhh Part Number: DBC6244, my old nemesis. On my quest to bring total illumination to X308 land, this is the final frontier lol !?

Does anyone know the total # I will need for all doors as I know the driver's switch likely has more. I'd like to have them all on hand to do @ once.

Thanks

Last edited by King Charles; 01-26-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

Gosh, this is an old thread and it makes me cringe reading it! I’d only had the car 18 months at the time of writing it.

Anyway here’s a link to Jaguar classic parts, if you click unillistrated parts, you’ll see the bulbs and part numbers.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...oor-switchpack

Old 01-26-2018, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member

Gosh, this is an old thread and it makes me cringe reading it! I’d only had the car 18 months at the time of writing it.

Anyway here’s a link to Jaguar classic parts, if you click unillistrated parts, you’ll see the bulbs and part numbers.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...oor-switchpack
That diagram confuses me, it gives me JLM21555,LNA5180CA & JLM21554 while I'm reading in this thread that its part # DBC6244 ?!

Last edited by King Charles; 01-26-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

Your best bet is to search for all of them and see what you get.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member

Your best bet is to search for all of them and see what you get.
Jag Bits website tells me(as did you in this very thread lol) it's DBC6244, now I just need to know how many I need for all 4 doors.

Edit :

Well it looks as if the driver's window switch button bulb & memory switch bulb are different & none appear to be DBC6244 ?! It shouldn't be so convoluted for something so simple.

Jaguar issued that bulletin to address complaints on warm/hot switches. Mine does indeed get hot as well, so I'll use the lower wattage bulb. But still confused as to where did the people in this thread use DBC6244 ?!

As of now I'm not sure what to order, let's hope someone whom does chimes in lol.

Last edited by King Charles; 01-26-2018 at 04:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Illuminating Issues-Help me see the light!!