XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I'm Done.. 1999 XJ8 .. I've done everything!!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I'm Done.. 1999 XJ8 .. I've done everything!!

My Jag Forum friends, thanks for all your help in the past.
I love our 1999 XJ8 and my wife and I both agree it is the best handling car we have ever driven including recent year Mercedes and an Audi A6 we rented, but as we all know, love is blind.
In the few times we can drive it we get multiple thumbs up from fellow motorists and everyone seems envious.
That said, our XJ8 with only 91K breaks down before we can repair the previous problem. Timeline our last 6000 miles.
Right radiator hose blew and replaced.
Regular RP and occasional FSM and then FSM, gearbox, ABS and TRAC.
O2 sensor bank 1 replaced, then O2 HTR sensor bank 1, replaced.
Then anti knock sensor bank 1, replaced based on codes.
Then O2 sensor bank 2 replaced, then O2 HTR sensor bank 2, replaced based on codes.
Managed to pass emissions.
Coolant leak at thermostat so replaced thermostat housing and thermostat.
Next, repeated FSM’s and based on the forum replaced TB.
Took a little adjusting but great running Jag and idled to charge battery and code for knock sensor bank 2 came up and ABS/Trac failure. Replaced knock sensor and ABS module.
Took around the block a couple of times and speedometer would work off and on.
Again, let idle and right radiator hose blew.
Replaced again radiator hose and idled to charge battery. Engine died 10 minutes in and traced problem to fuel pump and replaced.
All things good, so took out to cycle for emissions and then kept coming up with P0455, gross emissions leak.
Did smoke injection and found leak at top of gas tank where the fumes recycled at the impossible rubber hoses to reattach and sealed.
Then took out for drive to reset emission monitors and coolant reserve tank blew like a hand grenade, so I replaced.
Now car runs for about 15 minutes and stalls, sometimes with P1642, and once with P1797, but then after clearing codes stalls out without any codes but ABS & TRAC failure come up often but not every time.
No advanced notice on the overheating except when whatever blows, I have a low coolant warning, temps in the red for a few seconds, then back to normal temp even though very overheated.
Any ideas or do you know anyone wanting a cheap XJ8 they can tow away in the Houston area??
Thanks

Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Default Sorry.. More

When the engine stalls it will not start for about 15 minutes then start right up and idle for another 10-15 minutes before stalling again.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Take your battery in for a load test.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I would suggest a new battery that has been fully charged on the bench.

Then check all the major power distribution connections as laid out in the electrical diagrams, including grounds. Don't just check for tightness. Take the joint apart and clean it.

Finally, it may be very worthwhile to take it in to Momentum Jaguar and have Brutal, and only Brutal, go over the car and give you a detailed work list. Make sure you introduce yourself to him and go over the history first. Never mind the service advisor.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Default Replaced battery twice

Replaced battery twice and checked all grounds multiple times. At this time I do not think the car is worth a 30 mile tow each way to Brutal at this point. When the car became undrivable 3 years ago I dropped comprehensible, my mistake (lol).
My wife who loved the car calls it our lawn gnome, but she, like me, is afraid to drive it. I am actually afraid to be even be near it when it is running after the radiator hose and reservoir exploded near me.
Her Dad and Uncle raced Jags at Brookland when she was a child in England so this is a real let down to both of us.
Really, owned for 5 years and only able to put on 22K miles because it did not move the rest of the time. I am beginning to think this is Satan's ride.
Thanks

Old 08-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Please let us know what they find.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

Multiple overheating is not good. Radiator is probably clogged from mixed coolant types ? Battery and grounds still suspect. Throttle body still suspect. O2 sensor leads could be crossed. Coolant reservoir pipes could be (not) crossed.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

To state the bleeding obvious you have a problem with the cooling system. Firstly I would inspect the water pump . The earlier water pumps have plastic impellors which can disintegrate with age. Replacing burst hoses would not necessarily fix an underlying problem. try a coolant flush also which may clear any debris in the radiator.
Your P1642 code relates to the fuel pump ,as you will know by now :-( - have you changed the fuel filter recently - if clogged it would put strain on the pump.
Trac messages probably due to low battery voltage.

Dont give up on the cantankerous cow just yet !

Old 08-13-2013, 08:14 PM

@Jimmy, you may be right about the radiator as there seems to be no or little flow of coolant after replacing thermostat, thermostat housing and water pump.
Battery replaced twice recently and is good.
Throttle body just replaced and O2 sensors are correctly connected as well as reservoir pipes being correctly installed.
@Kyle, Just replaced water pump and thermostat and housing.
RE:P1642, recently replaced fuel filter and battery replaced recently and tests good.
Even if those issues are resolved the car runs no more than 15 minutes and stalls, usually without any codes showing.
Thanks everyone for your input.
Cheers

Old 08-14-2013, 04:11 AM
JWT
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

You have my sympathy, as your car appears to be possessed. I have been driving my XJR daily for well over 12 years, had some trials and tribulations for sure, but not in rapid succession. Still, I have managed to fix a lot of issues with the help of the forum members. If you are done with this one... perhaps get another, as you just may have a lemon!

All the Best

Old 01-17-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say sale that one and find a nice 2001-2002 model. They are out there for sure and nice ones. I picked up an 01 like new with only 35K miles on it.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

It's sad to see you give up. How about the fuel pump ? Are you getting plenty of pressure at the fuel rail ? (~40 psi) The stalling sounds like a fuel problem. I had a problerm with my radiator fans not coming on, and it would blow a radiator hose - long story, but it was just the fuses. Water pump vanes disintegrated is possible too, or radiator clog for the overheating. (Oh wait, I see you already replaced the water pump)
Cheers