XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jag teething issues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Jag teething issues...

Hello,
I'm new to Jag & the forum and thought I'd post a question. I'm running thru a list of things to take care of on my newly acquired 99 XJR. As delivered it was missing the driver's door cable. I sourced one and installed it and upon reassembling the door panel find my driver's window is the only one functioning (they all worked before). Also strange is that it functions with the rear passenger switch (only). The mirrors don't adjust either (they did before disassembly). The connector is foolproof (no way I can see to assemble backwards) so I can't think of what I might have done wrong here. Am I going crazy? Am I on candid camera? Has anyone else seen odd behavior like this from their cat? I do still have the front passenger panel off the door while I deal with some storage bin issues.
Doug

Old 04-30-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by dwgates
Hello,
I'm new to Jag & the forum and thought I'd post a question. I'm running thru a list of things to take care of on my newly acquired 99 XJR. As delivered it was missing the driver's door cable. I sourced one and installed it and upon reassembling the door panel find my driver's window is the only one functioning (they all worked before). Also strange is that it functions with the rear passenger switch (only). The mirrors don't adjust either (they did before disassembly). The connector is foolproof (no way I can see to assemble backwards) so I can't think of what I might have done wrong here. Am I going crazy? Am I on candid camera? Has anyone else seen odd behavior like this from their cat? I do still have the front passenger panel off the door while I deal with some storage bin issues.
Doug
If you didn't disconnect the battery before pulling apart the door...perhaps the poor body control module and such is a bit confused. Good rule of thumb, I've found, when touching any connector in this car, whether or not the key is on, that has to do with the electrics...disconnect the ground on the battery.

I'd try disconnecting the ground cable (the one that goes to the body), touching the ground cable to the positive post (don't disconnect the positive lead...what you're trying to do is drain the circuits...it won't hurt) to about 30 seconds, reconnect the ground lead, and try again. You may have to reset your radio (hope you have the codes if it's a code-protected unit) and window/sunroof (if you have one) travel, but, I've found that usually corrects any stray bogosity in the car.

Worth a try.

The following users liked this post:
dwgates (05-07-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 859 Likes on 707 Posts

+1 on battery effort above. Otherwise, pull the door card off and find what wires or connectors you buggered . .

Old 04-30-2015, 09:30 PM

Funny, I found the battery reset thread after I posted my topic. As I'm in the middle of a (2) fuel pump replacement I'll try holding the negative cable to the positive post ahead of hooking it up again. Funny to see a computer be assigned such menial tasks. Hopefully the tank will be out tomorrow, just have to do the hard part of disconnecting the lines under the car and remove one of the trunk support struts and I think it will come out. hanks for the replies.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Default pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

Well it turns out I was not crazy, on candid camera, or able to plug my driver's door window connector in backwards (my wife was sure I'd done this...and thinks I'm crazy). Once I got my fuel tank in place I held the negative cable against the positive terminal for 30 seconds and reconnected the battery. Everything works as it should. Now my big issue is to get rid of thee rest of the tinted window residue as it wants to fold the door to glass seals over on themselves. Thanks for the elp and I too will be keeping a 10 mm wrench in the glove box just in case my cat loses her mind again.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 859 Likes on 707 Posts

Don't forget to go up and hit the Thanks button on Bryan's answer to your problem.