XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Just my luck

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just my luck

So I have been having an issue with a gas smell in my xjr and then it runs like crap so of course it was running rich. I unplugged both sensor 1 on the o2 sensors and low and behold gas smell was not near as bad my computer has a fried chip for the o2 sensor bank 1 and now I have to get it fixed. Going to be without a ride for about a week

Old 07-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Have you tried unplugging the MAF, running the engine and let it default to see if that gas smell dissipates? ...or are you for sure its the ECM? Just seeing if it may be a bad MAF.

The following users liked this post:
Mick Giddens (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't tried that. My brother in law who sold the car to me is a mechanic and he ran a diagnostic on it and concluded that the only thing it can be is the ecm so we did some research and found that it is common for the o2 sensor chip to fry as well as some kind d of capacitor in there. The ecm gets hot when the car is ran for about an hour or so. I figured it's just because of the heat from the engine but the cooling fan under it works and it shouldn't be so hot that you can't touch it. I keep getting a p0135 code and we have changed out the bank1 sensor 1 twice. That is the only code I'm getting on the code reader but the car comes up with performance restricted and transmission fault which was new. After unplugging the bank 1@2 sensors it runs lean, doesn't hesitate , but have to baby it so we don't do anymore damage to it. It's our only vehicle right now been down on our luck here lately.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Check The Marketplace (top task bar) out for people parting out there wrecked cars...save some cash anyway you can, ...right. I know Harvest is doing that now and he's next door in NC I believe.
If you see SOLD next to a members item (especially the whole page saying sold), check with them anyways. Apparently there was a glitch and it showed unsold items as sold.