XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Mice take down the cat!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mice take down the cat!

My fathers 1998 XJ8 Vanden Plas has been a winter home for some mice. The car now has the scroll of death " Transmission Fault...Engine Failsafe...Wrong part fitted. If we assume that all modules are ok, where would the best place to start be? I can check continuity I am just unsure the best locations to do that. The DLC powers but unable to connect to my code reader. Do I need to remove the front fender(wing) to get to that large harness connector?
This forum has been a great help. Thanks!
-Pop

Old 05-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I have 2 cats (besides the 99 XJR) but I think they do most of their hunting in other people's yards. I find lot's of linden seeds piled up after my big cat's winter slumber. So far most have been in the engine compartment though. I'm not suggesting the little rats couldn't get into the cabin but you might check out in front first. It's a lot easier to remove the beauty cover and check what might have been going on under that area before diving in deeper.
On a related note has anyone had any luck keeping rodents away from a stored car? I've heard of people using moth ***** but haven't tried that yet. Just wondering what else might work...

The following users liked this post:
Don B (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

What is the battery voltage, both at rest and whit the ignition on?

Don B (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Mice got the Knock sensors in both of my jags. The valley pan under the intake manifold is the perfect mouse home.

I would start with a good code reader to see if this pinpoints a sensor or switch, as one chewed sensor wire can cause multiple errors.

Don B (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 10:49 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by vwpop
Transmission Fault...Engine Failsafe...Wrong part fitted. If we assume that all modules are ok, where would the best place to start be?
Hi Pop,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

You've received some great ideas already. RJ's suggestion to check battery voltage is a great place to start, since Jaguars are very sensitive to low voltage.

I also like dwgates' suggestion of a visual inspection of the wiring in the engine compartment. Since both transmission and engine faults can be caused by problems with the throttle body, you might start with the wiring in that area. Plenty of other places after that, including under the fuse boxes and relay panels.

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don