XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Need help with hoses and vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:24 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Need help with hoses and vacuum lines

I'm putting my XJR back together at the moment. Almost 3 years ago it overheated and dropped three valves. I took it apart and removed the heads but then it sat in my garage for almost 2 1/2 years while I decided if it was worth spending the money to rebuild it. I finally decided to rebuild the heads and got them back at the start of this year and have since been slowly putting the car back together as I've had time. We'll I'm getting close to finishing it and I'm at the part where I will be installing the intake elbow and EGR.

Here is my problem, its been almost three years since I took this apart and when disconnecting the vacuum line some of the lines or their connectors were so brittle they just broke, others were actually melted, so I wasn't able to label which line goes to where. The intake elbow and the EGR both have vacuum line coming off them that I don't know where they lead and once I install them on the car I will block off access to some hose connectors below it, so i've to things I need to hook up before I can do install this. Here are a few pics of what lines and hoses I need to figure out where they go. I'm sure there will be others I discover as I go along but this is where I'm at now...

This vacuum line on the intake elbow, I think it goes to a "T" connector that broke when I was taking things apart, so I don't know what it T's into and where the other lines of the T go. Also the metal hose connection there, does that go to the EGR?

Then there is this line which I think is part of the evap or emissions system. It is a t connector with one elbow shaped molded rubber hose of one of the T, and a broken vacuum line off the other. The line on the bottom of the T leads to this thing on the firewall.

This broken vacuum line that goes to the "UFO" looking thing off the passenger side fuel rail.

This plastic connector just in front of the driver's side connector on the "octopus hose."

Finally this hard metal line which goes under the passenger side head. I don't know where the other end of it goes.

Any help figuring out where these lines go would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Can we please get you to put your year and model in your Sig so we're not guessing at it? XJ...XJR 97-03?

This is about the EMS, but it shows the hosing and the second is an overall....

Last edited by Highhorse; 07-07-2019 at 08:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
67ECoupe (07-13-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Can we please get you to put your year and model in your Sig so we're not guessing at it? XJ...XJR 97-03?

This is about the EMS, but it shows the hosing and the second is an overall....

MY is 2000.
Thanks for the pages, is that from the workshop manual? I'll try to find that in my copy.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

The hose from the FPR ( the "UFO" looking thing) goes to a port at the right side of the supercharger cover. The port is slightly below the coolant fill plug.

For other connections, see the attached pages.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Breather Hose.pdf (960.1 KB, 146 views)
Bypass Valve Actuator.pdf (983.8 KB, 202 views)
TB Water Hoses Connections.pdf (981.7 KB, 115 views)
TB Water Hoses.pdf (964.5 KB, 119 views)
Vacuum to EGR.pdf (1.42 MB, 192 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Wow: that is why this forum is so valuable.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts
Old 07-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

The first pic comes from the one LP provided... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The 2nd is from a Jaguar parts site a few years ago, if I recall? ...I pulled it off my posted albums but the link was missing.

The links courteously posted by MS are as Jim states,...valuable.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 PM

Ok so this is what I'm piecing together right please let me know if any of this is correct...

This connector in front of the "octopus hose" goes to one of the hose coming off the EGR valve. The other hose off the EGR valve goes to the throttle body.

This hard metal line which comes from under the pass side head goes to the throttle body????

The hose at the top of the photo below goes to the small port coming off the intake elbow, the other hose off that t (the molded elbow goes to the bypass valve.

But here is where I'm confused because the pdf posted above by M. Stojanovic tittle "Vacuum to EGR.pdf" shows another t connector underneath the EVAP canister with one line off it running to the T off the bypass valve, the other line going to I don't know. But my EVAP canister does not have this T connection, it just has a single line going to the T at the bypass valve.

Also would still like to know where the larger port on the intake elbow goes.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:38 PM

And then I discovered this when I pulled the vaccum hose off the T that goes to the bypass valve and leads to the evap canister. In the sort piece of hose I pulled off the one that I think should go to the intake elbow there was a piece of another broken T connection, then I pulled the sort remainig pice off the little bit of hose that was left on the intake elbow, there is another piece of a broken T connector there too. I think these may be two pieces of the same T, if so, where does the other end of that T go?

Old 07-10-2019, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OUScooby
This connector in front of the "octopus hose" goes to one of the hose coming off the EGR valve. The other hose off the EGR valve goes to the throttle body.
My SC engine (AJ26) does not have EGR valve so a small water hose from that T goes directly to the TB. If you have an EGR valve (is your engine AJ27?), then what you say is correct.

This hard metal line which comes from under the pass side head goes to the throttle body????
Yes, there is another water port on the TB. On my AJ26 engine, the metal line is connected by a short "L" shaped hose to a port on the underside of the TB but this port could be positioned differently on your TB (on its side) and the connection could be with a longer hose.

But here is where I'm confused because the pdf posted above by M. Stojanovic tittle "Vacuum to EGR.pdf" shows another t connector underneath the EVAP canister with one line off it running to the T off the bypass valve, the other line going to I don't know. But my EVAP canister does not have this T connection, it just has a single line going to the T at the bypass valve.
Sorry, my title "Vacuum to EGR.pdf" was wrong, should be "Vacuum to EVAP...". I have a UK AJ26 SC engine with no EGR so my vacuum connections are different from your (AJ27?) US model. I hope you can figure the rest out.

Also would still like to know where the larger port on the intake elbow goes.
The engine breather hose "T" should connect to the larger port on the LHS of the elbow, as shown in the file "Breather Hose.pdf" I posed earlier.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
The engine breather hose "T" should connect to the larger port on the LHS of the elbow, as shown in the file "Breather Hose.pdf" I posed earlier.
I've looked at that diagram in the pdf, but I don't know what the hose in the diagram corresponds to on my car in real life. Does anyone have a picture of this hose cause I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:45 PM

OK so I found these two diagrams, the first one lays out pretty clearly how the hoses off the intake elbow go even though they don't really show where they go to, but it does confirm what I suspected about the small port on the intake elbow on the AJ27 engine, and a T coming off the small port on the intake elbow which leads to another T going to the bypass valve and evap canister. This is what I posted above in post #9 where I have the picture of the broken plastic T and the broken vacuum line.
Now according to this 2nd diagram someone has labeled that T off the intake elbow as going to the MAP sensor, which I assume is somewhere on the air intake of the car? Can anyone confirm?

Old 07-12-2019, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

I've looked at that diagram in the pdf, but I don't know what the hose in the diagram corresponds to on my car in real life. Does anyone have a picture of this hose cause I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for.
The "breather" hose I mentioned is actually the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) hose. The first picture shows its connections to the LHS cam cover and to the the large port on the left side of the intake elbow. The second picture shows the connection of this hose to, I think, a Tee below the Purge Valve (sorry but I cannot remember exactly this connection at the Purge Valve and my picture does not show the connection very clearly but I think you will figure it out or your PCV hose might still be connected there).

Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 PM

The "breather" hose I mentioned is actually the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) hose. The first picture shows its connections to the LHS cam cover and to the the large port on the left side of the intake elbow. The second picture shows the connection of this hose to, I think, a Tee below the Purge Valve (sorry but I cannot remember exactly this connection at the Purge Valve and my picture does not show the connection very clearly but I think you will figure it out or your PCV hose might still be connected there).

Thanks, this actually may have solved another mystery for me from way back when I took the car apart. When I was disassembling everything I found a line that was broken in places and melted I didn't know where it was supposed to go to but at the time I figured I'd worry about it later. I think it could have been this line but I do remember finding it along the firewall at the back of the engine, not along the cam cover.

Also is this the T below the purge valve that is the other end of this hose? I assume a rubber hose goes off the part of the T pointing to the bottom of the picture, where does the other part of the T go? The one with the strange round connector?

One final question the diagram I posted above in post #12 shows the other side of the intake elbow going to the brake servo. I found this line, which kinda sits the the vicinity of that side of the elbow and go all the way to the brake booster. Is this the hose that goes there and how does it secure into the intake elbow?

Old 07-13-2019, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member

Also is this the T below the purge valve that is the other end of this hose? I assume a rubber hose goes off the part of the T pointing to the bottom of the picture, where does the other part of the T go? The one with the strange round connector?

The strange round connector (part of the T) is the one that is plugged (push-on) onto the large port on the LHS of the intake elbow. The silver heat insulated section goes (connects) to the Purge Valve. The part of the T pointing to the bottom of the picture is where a hose (plastic pipe) connects and runs along the Vee of the engine to the front inner corner of the LHS cam cover to which it connects via another strange round connector. You need to buy this complete hose/pipe as the section that runs along the engine Vee of the one you have has disintegrated (the pieces that you hold in your hand), probably due to engine overheating.

One final question the diagram I posted above in post #12 shows the other side of the intake elbow going to the brake servo. I found this line, which kinda sits the the vicinity of that side of the elbow and go all the way to the brake booster. Is this the hose that goes there and how does it secure into the intake elbow?

Yes, it is just pushed in. There should be a plastic collar (the black thing on the pic below) inside the hole you circled which comes a bit out when you try to pull the pipe out and grips it so the pipe cannot be disconnected. To disconnect the pipe, you need to hold the plastic collar pressed in, then the pipe can be pulled out. It is not clear from your picture whether the mentioned plastic collar is still in the circled hole. If not, you will need to buy p/n C2S15816:

Old 07-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Yes, it is just pushed in. There should be a plastic collar (the black thing on the pic below) inside the hole you circled which comes a bit out when you try to pull the pipe out and grips it so the pipe cannot be disconnected. To disconnect the pipe, you need to hold the plastic collar pressed in, then the pipe can be pulled out. It is not clear from your picture whether the mentioned plastic collar is still in the circled hole. If not, you will need to buy p/n C2S15816:

Thanks doesn't look like that is in my intake, the brass part is there but the black plastic one does not appear to be, ordering the part now.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 PM

OK so I received my new breather hose today and immediately I noticed something. The end of the hose that is covered by the silver heat shield is still on my car, it broke off at the T, but that means that this piece of broken hose I found when taking apart the car was not from this breather hose. So where did this hose come from? It is made of the same ribbed plastic material as the breather hose and has a rubber hose connection on the end, but this one is covered by a braided nylon hose protector. Am I missing another hose?

Here is the pic of the new hose, and the end of the old one still on the car:

And here is the broken pieces of hose next to the end of the new hose, notice how they don't match, on is just a piece of rubber hose as a connector, the other has the braided cable cover:

Oh and one more question, my new breather hose came with a vacuum line under the silver heat shield, where does that go?

Old 07-18-2019, 09:45 PM

Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to change the brass piece, how would I get the old one out and the new one in? I assume they press in? Anyone know of a good method to do this with basic tools and a workbench? Also which way does it go? the brass piece has a rubber ring on one end, does that face the outside or inside of the intake elbow? The other end of the brass piece has a ring scored into it.
The one on my car now has lost that plastic piece so I can't look at that for reference. I'm going to try and but the new o-ring in the old one and hopefully that will save me having to swap out the whole brass piece entirely.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Oh and one more question, my new breather hose came with a vacuum line under the silver heat shield, where does that go?
The small vacuum hose running through the silver heat shield may be for a model with different vacuum lines arrangement and you may not need to use it. Or it may be the line from the Purge Valve to the small "T" from where a short hose connects to the SC Bypass valve actuator. I believe this line is still good on your engine but, if the new one is the same length, you can replace the old one with the new one.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to change the brass piece, how would I get the old one out and the new one in? I assume they press in?
I keep the new brass bush and plastic collet as spare and, if one day I need to repair my (now still good) old connector, I will keep the old brass bush and just use the new o-ring and the plastic collet from the new kit (the brass bush does not wear).

Quick Reply: Need help with hoses and vacuum lines