XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

New Windshield - FYI

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Windshield - FYI

My 2000 VdP needed a replacement windshield a couple of days ago due to an 11" vertical crack appearing on the passenger side. I wondered if I had caused it by hosing off the tree pollen with cold water on a hot day but the technician said there had been a small chip at the base of the screen which had weakened the glass, so I had only speeded up the inevitable.

On the day that the crack appeared I scheduled an online appointment with Safelite (in SW Charlotte, NC) and they came out the next day. Cost was $234 (the online appointment scheduler told me what the likely cost would be up front, which was good).

I have no affiliations with Safelite whatsoever but I do give credit where it is due, and for the cost, which I still can't believe was so low (for such a big part of a Jag!), the guy (Juan) turned up on time, did a great job (no new wind-noise or creaks or rattles were introduced - which happened to me once before with an old 7-Series many years ago) and he vacuumed the car to remove all bits of glass from the old windshield.

One thing to note is that while they offer three choices of windshield for the XJ8 (Rain Sensor, Heated, or 'plain' (no rain sensor and not heated) - they didn't have a VdP model to choose - all three choices were green tinted glass with a blue sun band across the top. I was a little nervous as to how the sun band would look as the car did not originally have this on the original windshield. But I needn't have worried - it is subtle and doesn't look out of place against the Emerald Green of my VdP, and for $234 I was happy to get the new glass so quickly and affordably anyway.

I would use these guys again without hesitation, as I cannot imagine the cost if I had taken it to a Jag dealer for an OE fitment.

Just so you know...

Cheers,

Steve.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I like the idea of the sun band - without it, I tend to need to use the visor on my XJ regularly, where I don't need to on any of my other vehicles that DO have the sun band. I have found it to be a bit of an annoyance... perhaps I should hope for a windshield crack? Naaah, it's not THAT much of an annoyance.