XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

No gear after atf change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No gear after atf change?

I am in deep trouble. My x308 s/c 4.0 with MB 722.6 transmission do not want to go into any gears after I have changed atf with correct oil and level measurement. I have read a lot about how to measure and change atf and think I have done it right(?). Took of the bottom of valvebody..let it drip for a day losing about 4-5 Liters atf..changed to new conductor plate, 13 pin connector, filter and cleaned evething the best I could. Filling atf up with correct temperature. But now after all is done the won't go into gear. I can move the j stick in all gears but it does not actually go into gear and wheel not spinning. So now I am stucked.

before all this I have had the classic gear box fault for a long time and at last it went into limp mode and had to use an odbII scanner to clear codes.

Now i I still get the after all is done the won't go into gear. I can move the j stick in all gears but it does not actually go into gear and wheel not spinning. So now I am stucked.

before all this I have had the classic gear box fault for a long time and at last it went into limp mode and had to use an odbII scanner to clear codes.

Now i I still get the P0705 code and won't get into gears.

what to do??

conductor plate and 13 pin should be okay..no leaks and everything cleaned up.

thinking that I might need a better ODBII from a jag dealer ? Or maybe reprogramme/restart transmission module which I have no idea of how to do that.

Last, even though I have ignored the gear box fault for a long time the gears has never had any bad sounds and seems to work smooth despite the error
code.

ANY advise would be most appreciated ?

thanks

Old 01-22-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I would be going back in and redoing the connector and conductor
plate. With multiple connections, I would not be surprised if the
problem lay in the reassembly.

There are is a good tutorial on the conductor plate on the MB
Sprinter van forums.

You must have listened to the advice posted here on replacing
the conductor plate. Bad advice but stated emphatically by the
poster as if he were some kind of MB 722.6 guru ... not.

There is seldom any reason to replace the conductor plate.

Elsewhere it is pointed out by people far more familiar with the
transmission that the usual problem is magnetised steel particles
attaching themselves to the speed sensors. Just wipe them off
with a clean cloth.

Replacing the conductor plate achieves the same effect because
the contaminants are removed when you throw the old conductor
plate in the garbage bin.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
Don B (01-22-2017), XJRay (01-28-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Received 12,722 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by bongobrown
Now i I still get the P0705 code and won't get into gears.
Hi bongobrown,

Is it possible your dual linear switch has a loose or corroded electrical connection? According to the Diagnostic Trouble Codes Summaries manual for the W5A-580 Transmission Control System, P0705 indicates a problem with the linear switch signal. Here's the page with the explanation and possible causes:

You can download the manual at the link below, courtesy of our forum member Gus and his jagrepair.com website:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...tem%201998.pdf

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
XJRay (01-28-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 03:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise and diagrams. I think I will start redoing the connector and conductor plate as suggested. I have now read and read about the issues and find it a quit difficult to know where to start..there seems to be many things to do for a trial/error and I am not qualified for doing all operations. So I will redo the connector and conductor first and see if it makes any difference.

Just a bit strange that the car would go into gear after change of conductor plate, and new atf oil - Then we found out that the atf was too low when warmed up - and added 0.5 L a time till it reaches the recommended level. And then gearbox couldīt go into any gears any longer. Then you should think itīs got something to do with the oil level. But when warmed up to 30-40 degrees - the oil level IS between max/min on the special MB 722-6 oil stick Iīve bought for the purpose.

Hmm..any other advised are very welcome - but will see if any changes after redoing conductor plate.

Thanks - dont know what to do without this wonderful forum.